Ashley Cole retires

Absolute dickhead of a man but without doubt one of the best left backs ever.

England's only real genuine world class player from his period
Agree with this. We had some excellent players like Gerrard, Lampard, Ferdinand, Terry at the time but for me you could only really call Cole world class. Up their with Gazza as the best English players of my life time.

Everyone in England has this lazy attitude to him being the best left back in the world in his prime, but he wasnt

How’s that? It’s not a lazy attitude at all, it’s genuine respect for what is in my opinion is the best left back England has produced.

Those that said they’d take Stuart Pearce over him are mental. Pearce was good, but Cole could get forward, defend and loved a tackle as well.

People just like to be controversial for controversial sake ...

Everyone in England has this lazy attitude to him being the best left back in the world in his prime, but he wasnt
He was absolutely brilliant in his prime. Best england player in a couple of major tournaments. Dont know about best left back in the world as dont really know who the other top left backs were but he was definitely up there.

Zambrotta the right back you mean?

Still, no.
No i mean Zambrotta, who was right footed but mainly played left back
Highly regarded as italys best ever wing back :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
How’s that? It’s not a lazy attitude at all, it’s genuine respect for what is in my opinion is the best left back England has produced.

Those that said they’d take Stuart Pearce over him are mental. Pearce was good, but Cole could get forward, defend and loved a tackle as well.

People just like to be controversial for controversial sake ...
Laztly attitude, in tbat the media have spotted this in England for years, and peoole only watch english football

Last edited:
Agree mate, but id also put Scholes and Gerrard in the world class bracket, also a young Rooney for a couple of season too
Amazing with all these world class players and we never got anywhere close to winning a trophy.

Oh and Lahm and Maldini were head and shoulders better than Cole

Cole was great in his prime ...a true world talent. Others mentioned are worthy, too, but isn't one name weirdly absent? His prime years were a decade, at least, ahead of Cole's but surely the best left back in living memory is Paolo Maldini?
It's all about opinion, of course, but that's mine.

Cole was great in his prime ...a true world talent. Others mentioned are worthy, too, but isn't one name weirdly absent? His prime years were a decade, at least, ahead of Cole's but surely the best left back in living memory is Paolo Maldini?
It's all about opinion, of course, but that's mine.
Ahem see my post above;)

Back