Ashes squad

Technically I agree, but I’m not sure he’s got the mental side of the game. Looks very flustered at times

as did Hameed tbf

let’s see how they shape up in warm up game

I suspect he’s been given a central contract and kept getting picked because of this series

i would be surprised if he didn’t play because of that personally

it’s a punt for sure but sometimes you need to back your judgement
Did you back England btw? I know you talked about it because you thought Stokes would go and then we’d tighten?

Fuck!!!!

Technically I agree, but I’m not sure he’s got the mental side of the game. Looks very flustered at times
He’s young tbf. That composure will come imo, but you’re right and that’s why I’d have liked him to be in form before going down under.

Think the India series scrambled his brain, you look at the ways he kept getting out during and after and he’s all over the place.

Think it did for a few of our batsmen. His injury probably didn’t help either. But you don’t make 250 against a decent attack like Pakistan and not be able to play.

He’s young tbf. That composure will come imo, but you’re right and that’s why I’d have liked him to be in form before going down under.

Think the India series scrambled his brain, you look at the ways he kept getting out during and after and he’s all over the place.

Think it did for a few of our batsmen. His injury probably didn’t help either. But you don’t make 250 against a decent attack like Pakistan and not be able to play.

the series in India messed up loads, I was worried about that the time.

For my work I was reading back on some papers from the summer before last, and was reading cricket sections out of interest. You;d be amazed about the tone of mood around the young batsman Crawley, Sibley and Pope

I find it sligtly annoying as people talk like we have had no batsman for like 4 years, when these 3 were going well at one stage

the series in India messed up loads, I was worried about that the time.

For my work I was reading back on some papers from the summer before last, and was reading cricket sections out of interest. You;d be amazed about the tone of mood around the young batsman Crawley, Sibley and Pope

I find it sligtly annoying as people talk like we have had no batsman for like 4 years, when these 3 were going well at one stage
Yeah it did, from the second test they fell apart, but it’s a tough place to tour as is Australia. The pitch doctoring and the effect it had is imo another reason to dislike India, not that we’re short of them like.

But I’m not putting it all down to that series. They’ve all got ability and may well be the best available right now but Pope has flattered to deceive since he got in the side imo; other than South Africa Sibley has never really looked at home and Crawley despite a couple of good knocks and one monster score has been all over the place.

Big boost to have Stokes available but I still think our bowling attack will be too samey over 5 tests, especially as Wood won't play all 5.

Their batting line up isn't fantastic, but one of Smith, Warner and Labuschagne are likely to score heavy and I'd expect one other to have a good series in their conditions too. Green looked impressive during the India series but he's a place too high at 6, Paine really is the weak link.

Anderson unlikely to play every test.

I think Woakes is arguably first swap with him now rather than Broad. Mostly because he’ll be a walking wicket against four quicks.
Agree on this, can see Wood missing the day/nighter - leaving broad, woakes, robinson, Anderson, overton for 3 or 4 to pick from depending on it a spinner plays.
Burns
Hameed
Malan
Root
Stokes
Pope
Buttler
Woakes or Leach
Robinson
Wood
Anderson

Not 100% sure England will play a spinner as daft as that sounds.
Crawley if he scores really big in the warm ups could open or come in at 6 for me personally
Woods got to play the 1st test, Perth and Sydney for me - rotate out for Woakes or Overton
Broad plays the day nighter and comes in for jimmy if he gets knackered

Last edited:
Agree on this, can see Wood missing the day/nighter - leaving broad, woakes, robinson, Anderson, overton for 3 or 4 to pick from depending on it a spinner plays.
Burns
Hameed
Malan
Root
Stokes
Pope
Buttler
Woakes or Leach
Robinson
Wood
Anderson

Not 100% sure England will play a spinner as daft as that sounds.
Crawley if he scores really big in the warm ups could open or come in at 6 for me personally
Woods got to play the 1st test, Perth and Sydney for me - rotate out for Woakes or Overton
Broad plays the day nighter and comes in for jimmy if he gets knackered
I would play Crawley ahead of Hameed on the quicker bouncing Aussie tracks.

I really think the pitches will suit Crawley but he needs runs in the warm ups for me to justify getting in the team

him and smith will be the big two again, keeping Warner quiet would be good too
Aye certainly see that point think that’s it, tbf neither him or Hameed are good enough to open in a Ashes series away from home.

But think out the two Crawley a better bet on those wickets.

I really think the pitches will suit Crawley but he needs runs in the warm ups for me to justify getting in the team

him and smith will be the big two again, keeping Warner quiet would be good too

Not sure its about justifying though is it, and dont think thats the right way to pick a team for this series

Pick a team that you think can win in these conditions, dont try and be "fair" to Hameed for example as he did OK. Just pick who you will think will score more runs
I wouldnt assume that Leach will play btw.

I would probably pick him, certainly in some of the tests.

People will view him not playing as a negative, safe move and while I wouldnt agree with keeping him out, I dont think its a negative move.

England have lost 9 of their last 10 tests their by picking 1 spinner and usual seamers. If they think Woakes will take more wickets than Jack Leach for example, its not a negative move

Whether its the rght move is a different question, if that makes sense.

Woakes is the biggest loser from the Stokes recall, and Leach is the biggest winner. But i can see how its very very tempting for Root to pick them all, especially when Woakes could score big runs over there in theory.

My own view is you need variation and leach is a very good spinner IMO.

But Stokes, Woakes, Robinson, Wood, Jimmy, with a bit of Root

thats a pretty good attack like.

Last edited:

Back