Ashes Build Up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I would have Ballance and 5 and Bairstow 6 and keeping wicket but I know your feelings on GB!
I've said for ages now that given our predicament Bairstow at 7 is a luxury we just can't afford, even more so now without stokes. I just don't see how balance can succeed against top quality pace bowling given his technique. I'm far from convinced with malan either mind.

Have I really. Like who? Anyone I've suggested, you've said you'd take yourself, although you seem to change your mind daily on who should go and where they should bat.

I don't, I've always said I'd take Ballance, think he was unlucky to be brought in at 3

My point is there ain't load of options, I think you are being overly harsh on the lad IMO.

Just be nice if you changed the record a bit, we get the idea you don't rate him.

I agree that Bairstow has to slide up from 7 given our current issues. Maybe bat 5 though so he can still keep. 4 probably too high for Malan so Vince to bat there for me as balance is out of his depth (albeit Vince needs to show a bit fast too)

I like the idea of:

Cook
Stoneman
Root
Vince
Bairstow (wk)
Malan
Ali
Woakes
Broad
Finn (although would rather Wood)
Anderson

I agree that Bairstow has to slide up from 7 given our current issues. Maybe bat 5 though so he can still keep. 4 probably too high for Malan so Vince to bat there for me as balance is out of his depth (albeit Vince needs to show a bit fast too)

I like the idea of:

Cook
Stoneman
Root
Vince
Bairstow (wk)
Malan
Ali
Woakes
Broad
Finn (although would rather Wood)
Anderson

From the squad picked I'd have

Cook
Stoneman
Malan
Root
Ballance
Ali
Bairstow
Woakes
Overton
Broad
Jimmy

Any team we pick is gonna have faults like

My guess is a few from lions will be in later in series

My team without Stokes would have been

Stoneman
Cook
Robson
Root
Ballance
Ali
Bairstow
Woakes
Plunkett
Broad
Jimmy

@Comeback_Kenwyne better than we picked in my opinion

But my point on other thread it's subjective

Could easy argue LP and Robson not getting picked too

I prefer Jo Clarke to Ballance but accept that's a massive punt and not really backed up by (country) statistics.

Bairstow to come in ahead of Ali too, but I'm splitting hairs now. The rest is - in my opinion - the best we can do.

From the squad picked I'd have

Cook
Stoneman
Malan
Root
Ballance
Ali
Bairstow
Woakes
Overton
Broad
Jimmy

Any team we pick is gonna have faults like

My guess is a few from lions will be in later in series

Makes me wince, but that'd probably be the XI I'd stick out too. Overton v Finn is a nets call.

Oh - and no way if that's XI I'm accepting the Captain's special pleading. He's up to three, Malan at four.

I prefer Jo Clarke to Ballance but accept that's a massive punt and not really backed up by (country) statistics.

Bairstow to come in ahead of Ali too, but I'm splitting hairs now. The rest is - in my opinion - the best we can do.

Makes me wince, but that'd probably be the XI I'd stick out too. Overton v Finn is a nets call.

Oh - and no way if that's XI I'm accepting the Captain's special pleading. He's up to three, Malan at four.

The only - being contrarian - other argument to toss into the mix is the second wickie, Foakes. He has a better county average than Malan, Vince et al, this year. Could you stick him in at seven, takes gloves off Bairstow, whack JB up to four (with Root three) and say to him - look son, just get us the runs to win the ashes. Ali goes up to six then, Ballance or Malan at five? Wouldn't be surprised if we ended up in such disarray, at all. May as well discuss it now...

Last edited:
No problem

Neebody wanted a prize. I got a little trophy engraved for iirc @andysafc but I don't think he posts anymore.

First prize this year, could be an evening sat next to me, v Notts in the t20 at CLS.

They'll all want that

It was me who won it, despite getting the series result completely wrong. I said to save your money, but you bought the trophy anyway! :lol:

Suggest this time we award ten points for the series winner and result. Tie breaker could be predict the number of James Vince ducks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back