Ashbrooke in danger of closing?

That is part of it through existing lease deals with the gym and physio, but any excess from the football pitch or additional revenue raised through other channels would still go away from the club too.

That is also in addition to any other costs incurred during the 3 year period being paid back on top of the buyback, with stamp duty and other fees also covered by the club for both sales.

I'm wary of it for sure. The whole plan is reliant on a land sale, that hasn't sold for the past decade.

There was an alternative loan only option previously that fell through, hence why this one will probably go through.

I'm not sure that it's a better option than letting the charity commission come in and appoint someone to sort it out though. Its been ran terribly for a good while - 10 years ago the bar was making £80k, whereas its been ran at a loss for the past 5 years.
Fair enough, I respect your concerns - but do you think the member is actually doing this entirely for personal gain or the benefit of keeping the club alive?

Fair enough, I respect your concerns - but do you think the member is actually doing this entirely for personal gain or the benefit of keeping the club alive?
Not entirely for personal gain I'm sure, but a factor, yes.

Im sure there could have been other proposals that could have been made in order to help the club that weren't so leveraged if personal gain wasn't a factor - like the loan that was offered by another member at higher interest which fell through.

But having said that, I don't know the guy personally so I have no real idea of intentions. I hear anecdotally that he doesnt have time for any sections at Ashbrooke other than rugby, so it was understandable for the others to be incredibly wary at the EGM last month. Hopefully it ends up the case that the land sells and we never find out what happens if the buyback isn't met.

Sounds like the next few years will be a real struggle for different sections. The costs to run the cricket must be sizeable, how on earth will they fund this themselves? A groundsman is not cheap, player costs again are not cheap as well as umpires, cricket balls etc. Will Mr Applegarth be plugging the financial gap again?
The cricket could fund it by stopping paying out thousands to players.
It still baffles me how cricket players are even paid at such a low level.
It's not a low level. A lot of players in the league have played first class (county level) in England or abroad.

Last edited:

Back