Ashbrooke in danger of closing?

Was in last week and there was a hole in the bar ceiling with a bin underneath catching the water
A few lads look as though they are trying to tidy the place up though

What is the offer / proposal?
One of the members to buy the Ashbrooke building for the ridiculously low £300k, so that the club can pay off immediate debt. The club would have an agreed buyback date in 3 years time - which would rely on land that the club own at Burdon Lane being sold. The member would be entitled to take out certain funds raised by the club in these 3 years for personal gain.

The individual sections would be expected to fund their own costs -groundsman etc - which screws over cricket and bowls more than the others. This is where the legal part comes in, as part of the club being a charity, it has to abide by the constitution set out which states that the cost of facilitating the sports is on the central club rather than the sections.

In the meantime, the bar would be leased out, and funds raised from this would pay for renovations at the club.

Last edited:
Sounds like the next few years will be a real struggle for different sections. The costs to run the cricket must be sizeable, how on earth will they fund this themselves? A groundsman is not cheap, player costs again are not cheap as well as umpires, cricket balls etc. Will Mr Applegarth be plugging the financial gap again?

One of the members to buy the Ashbrooke building for the ridiculously low £300k, so that the club can pay off immediate debt. The club would have an agreed buyback date in 3 years time - which would rely on land that the club own at Burdon Lane being sold. The member would be entitled to take out certain funds raised by the club in these 3 years for personal gain.

The individual sections would be expected to fund their own costs -groundsman etc - which screws over cricket and bowls more than the others. This is where the legal part comes in, as part of the club being a charity, it has to abide by the constitution set out which states that the cost of facilitating the sports is on the central club rather than the sections.

In the meantime, the bar would be leased out, and funds raised from this would pay for renovations at the club.
That can't end badly at all.

Sounds like it'll go tits up, unfortunately

Sounds like it'll go tits up, unfortunately
Which is a massive concern for 3 out of the 4 main sport sections at the club, judging by opinions at the recent EGM.

Sounds like the next few years will be a real struggle for different sections. The costs to run the cricket must be sizeable, how on earth will they fund this themselves? A groundsman is not cheap, player costs again are not cheap as well as umpires, cricket balls etc.
Membership fees, fundraising and some level of volunteering. May suffice short term but unsustainable over a period of time.

Sounds like the next few years will be a real struggle for different sections. The costs to run the cricket must be sizeable, how on earth will they fund this themselves? A groundsman is not cheap, player costs again are not cheap as well as umpires, cricket balls etc. Will Mr Applegarth be plugging the financial gap again?
Couldn’t run the cricket club I’m secretary of without funds from the clubhouse. Bar takings and event bookings keep the club solvent. Interesting times ahead given how much cricketers are asking to be paid these days.

Sounds like you’re completely against this. What was/is the alternative option?

. The member would be entitled to take out certain funds raised by the club in these 3 years for personal gain.
I believe this to be incorrect. The funds taken will be used to service the cost of raising the initial money. I may be wrong, but my source in normally solid

Last edited:
Couldn’t run the cricket club I’m secretary of without funds from the clubhouse. Bar takings and event bookings keep the club solvent. Interesting times ahead given how much cricketers are asking to be paid these days.
It still baffles me how cricket players are even paid at such a low level.

I believe this to be incorrect. The funds taken will be used to service the cost of raising the initial money. I may be wrong, but my source in normally solid
That is part of it through existing lease deals with the gym and physio, but any excess from the football pitch or additional revenue raised through other channels would still go away from the club too.

That is also in addition to any other costs incurred during the 3 year period being paid back on top of the buyback, with stamp duty and other fees also covered by the club for both sales.

Sounds like you’re completely against this. What was/is the alternative option?
I'm wary of it for sure. The whole plan is reliant on a land sale, that hasn't sold for the past decade.

There was an alternative loan only option previously that fell through, hence why this one will probably go through.

I'm not sure that it's a better option than letting the charity commission come in and appoint someone to sort it out though. Its been ran terribly for a good while - 10 years ago the bar was making £80k, whereas its been ran at a loss for the past 5 years.

Last edited:

Back