Asda kiosks.

How is having less freedoms progressive?
They're leading the way to move us on from outdated methods of payment.

Such progressive acts are why we're not taking horse & carts to work everyday, or bathing in a tin bath in front of an open fire, or pouring a bucket of our faeces out of the window into the street.

TO THE FUTURE!

They're leading the way to move us on from outdated methods of payment.

Such progressive acts are why we're not taking horse & carts to work everyday, or bathing in a tin bath in front of an open fire, or pouring a bucket of our faeces out of the window into the street.

TO THE FUTURE!

Given that asda is now more of a cattle market than Aldi or Lidl, its a weird decision to basically penalise the less well off. And I'm talking about pay at the pump here not cashless in general

Given that asda is now more of a cattle market than Aldi or Lidl, its a weird decision to basically penalise the less well off. And I'm talking about pay at the pump here not cashless in general
I've no doubt that the pre-authorisation issue has been considered when the decision was made.

I can't imagine it would be a huge job to get fuel pumps to only release what has been paid for.

The pre-authorised amount disappears pretty quickly, usually within an hour or so in my case.

You do raise a very good point about what would happen if you went to Asda for petrol with less than £100 in your current account. Not sure what would happen in that scenario.
If there's less than £100 in your account or on your card balance then whatever is available will be reserved. Again, you'll then be billed for the actual amount used with the rest of the funds returned. The pump will cut off automatically once you reach your available balance, meaning you shouldn't be taken over your spending limit or pushed into an unarranged overdraft.

That was off moneysavingexpert when the it first came in, if you have £0 they just don't give you any fuel.

This is on their site

What happens if I don’t have £99 in my account?​

Don’t worry if you don’t have £99 available in your account. With the new approach, your card issuer will tell us the maximum amount you can spend during the pre-authorisation process. This amount will then be the maximum you can spend on fuel, so you’ll never go overdrawn.

The petrol station at Boldon Asda is already card only
This is on their site

What happens if I don’t have £99 in my account?​

Don’t worry if you don’t have £99 available in your account. With the new approach, your card issuer will tell us the maximum amount you can spend during the pre-authorisation process. This amount will then be the maximum you can spend on fuel, so you’ll never go overdrawn.

It handy actually, used that to advantage a couple of times, if you're on Monzo (or any other online bank that has "pots") and you only want to spend £x on petrol, just move the money into a pot, leaving the right amount in your main pot, when you insert your card, the amount available appears on the little display, and you full up to the exact amount.

Much easier that the old method of filling the car up to just below how much you want to spend, then carefully dribble in bit by bit to try and hit the right amoun

Last edited:
If there's less than £100 in your account or on your card balance then whatever is available will be reserved. Again, you'll then be billed for the actual amount used with the rest of the funds returned. The pump will cut off automatically once you reach your available balance, meaning you shouldn't be taken over your spending limit or pushed into an unarranged overdraft.

That was off moneysavingexpert when the it first came in, if you have £0 they just don't give you any fuel.
What happens if you have an overdraft facility in place? Same thing only up to the o/draft limit?

As a heads up, even at the Asda petrol stations with a person working there, they don’t accept fuel cards that you sign for anymore. Found that out the other day 🙄

Back