Asda kiosks.

Assume you feel the same way about cash only places?
Should try and accommodate both but no isn't the same. People with a card will be able to go and access cash people without cards, phones etc are just forced out of society all together. As mentioned above homeless and vulnerable could be left unable to buy water or warm clothing.

Asda is full of fatties struggling to push a trolley full of stodgy food and students putting avocados through for carrots.

Yeah but let’s be realistic, not all 10% would go just because they have to use a debit card. It’s not really a big ask in 2024

What Asda a doing is more problematic as it potentially rules out using debit cards. They're getting rid of the kiosks & making it pay at the pump. With pay at the pump they don't just charge what you used, they put on a £100 pre auth charge. So if you've only got less than that in the bank, they won't let you purchase petrol anyway. I'm not sure if that £100 hangs on for a couple of either as you could effectively be prevented from spending your own money for a few days. (I know Curve do this l) I'm 99% cashless, but I won't be using Grangetown Asda anymore for petrol.

Cash handling = expense. I'd imagine someone's done the sums, and for the cost of handling cash at the fuel stations -v- the custom they'll lose it will balance out at worst.

What Asda a doing is more problematic as it potentially rules out using debit cards. They're getting rid of the kiosks & making it pay at the pump. With pay at the pump they don't just charge what you used, they put on a £100 pre auth charge. So if you've only got less than that in the bank, they won't let you purchase petrol anyway. I'm not sure if that £100 hangs on for a couple of either as you could effectively be prevented from spending your own money for a few days. (I know Curve do this l) I'm 99% cashless, but I won't be using Grangetown Asda anymore for petrol.
The pre-authorised amount disappears pretty quickly, usually within an hour or so in my case.

You do raise a very good point about what would happen if you went to Asda for petrol with less than £100 in your current account. Not sure what would happen in that scenario.

Back