Army's new £3.5b tanks

In what circumstances would we actually need tanks?

We have nuclear weapons so no one coming to the UK for a land invasion.

And do we have the means to export tanks overseas if we decide to invade someone else? Haven’t we only got a couple of tugboats and a dinghy left?

In what circumstances would we actually need tanks?

We have nuclear weapons so no one coming to the UK for a land invasion.

And do we have the means to export tanks overseas if we decide to invade someone else? Haven’t we only got a couple of tugboats and a dinghy left?
they are not tanks, they will be armed vehicle recce (tracked) and not main battle tanks.

from the articles I presume, they are to replace the scorpion / scimitar (CVRT) family of vehicles

they are not tanks, they will be armed vehicle recce (tracked) and not main battle tanks.

from the articles I presume, they are to replace the scorpion / scimitar (CVRT) family of vehicles
Would presume that speed and nimbleness is even more important for them then?

It's not an existing vehicle, it's an entirely new family of systems.

I can tell you horror stories about how we brought in Chinooks, Hercules, C17s, A400s. Hell, Typhoon took an age to get into the shape it is now.
Article I read said they were a development of vehicles already in use by Spain and Austria. I know building something from scratch will need a hell of a lot of iterations.

The Ajax is a proven design with a lot of different models that work well. Theres a lot of countries throughout the world using them. One of the big problems here is the MOD asking for different variations that don't already exist, hence it requires a lot of testing.
Also it isn't intended to be the next line of battle tanks as that will be the new Challenger 3 series.

Would presume that speed and nimbleness is even more important for them then?
without doubt. the speed of the cvrt, was amazing, but that was only good for the cvrt range. no point in the troop carriers (part of the cvrt family range and used by mainly infantry) travelling at 60 / 70 miles an hour over non roads. they would all be dead at the destination, other that the driver and commander.

Typical of military procurement in this country. Its a f***ing shambles, cash being spaffed up the wall left right and centre whether it be on boats, tanks, rifles, planes or IT systems. Billions wasted but never any cash spare to give the staff a decent pay rise.

- Cannot safely travel more than 20mph
- Cannot fire whilst moving
- Cannot reverse over anything higher than 20cm
- Crew cannot spend more than 90 minutes inside them, any more and they become unwell.

Another government spending triumph.
@SAFCOldie and the Veterans will soon have them firing on all cylinders.

- Cannot safely travel more than 20mph
- Cannot fire whilst moving
- Cannot reverse over anything higher than 20cm
- Crew cannot spend more than 90 minutes inside them, any more and they become unwell.

Another government spending triumph.
Can’t read that Tory rag behind a paywall

Back