Army's new £3.5b tanks

Spunking billions on aircraft carriers, tanks, and nuclear weapons.

meanwhile we’re being attacked daily by state actors of Russian, Chinese, and North Korean in increasingly sophisticated cyber attacks. Gas pipelines, health services, education, food suppliers and supply chain attacks via IT infrastructure vendors.

so far behind the curve. :(

Theres a lot to be said that if it wasn't for the French holding off the Germans so valiantly for as long they did so that the Commonwealth forces could flee Dunkirk then the war may of ended differently.
Probably a fair point. French resistance fighters were class as well from what I've read and watched. They do have form though, moreso the Italians.

Tracks are made in Stanhope
Yeah, i've been. W.M Cook
Been to stanhope loads of times didn't know it was even there.
They've invested millions in the site and have some pretty impressive x-ray gear for the castings. Make loads of tank tracks for the British Army.

Last edited:
They've invested millions in the site and have some pretty impressive x-ray gear for the castings. Make loads of tank tracks for the British Army.

I was in the foundry at Wolsingham before it was demolished. Surprisingly good facilities considering it’s out in the sticks.

Spunking billions on aircraft carriers, tanks, and nuclear weapons.

meanwhile we’re being attacked daily by state actors of Russian, Chinese, and North Korean in increasingly sophisticated cyber attacks. Gas pipelines, health services, education, food suppliers and supply chain attacks via IT infrastructure vendors.

so far behind the curve. :(
yeah but you cant sail IT experts around the world festooned with shiney perky sailors pretending we're still relevant now can you

Most of the Ajax tracks go abroad to Johnny Foreigner these days.
The Challenger 3 deal will be a massive boost mind as I imagine that will secure years of work.

Most of the Ajax tracks go abroad to Johnny Foreigner these days.
The Challenger 3 deal will be a massive boost mind as I imagine that will secure years of work.
The last place for MOD manufacture of vehicles in the North East was BAE at Scotswood road but that might change. There is capacity for manufacture of components for the next couple of years.

In what circumstances would we actually need tanks?

We have nuclear weapons so no one coming to the UK for a land invasion.

And do we have the means to export tanks overseas if we decide to invade someone else? Haven’t we only got a couple of tugboats and a dinghy left?
Another gulf war might be a start

And do we have the means to export tanks overseas if we decide to invade someone else? Haven’t we only got a couple of tugboats and a dinghy left?
It gets contracted out. We used a Russian company to bring stuff back in 2004
The Ajax is a proven design with a lot of different models that work well. Theres a lot of countries throughout the world using them. One of the big problems here is the MOD asking for different variations that don't already exist, hence it requires a lot of testing.
Also it isn't intended to be the next line of battle tanks as that will be the new Challenger 3 series.
I took part in some trials for a land rover with the MOD
The officer in charge that day wanted to see how the vehicle responded to a shot out tyre. So we drilled a hole in it and ran some tests. He still wasn’t happy, so we set up a point where I would drive over a spike designed to simulate a bullet hole appearing, still wasn’t happy. He wanted someone to shoot a hole in the tyre while I drive it round ffs

Last edited:

Troops in Eastern Europe to help defend the continent.
Can't just start nuking every country you have a disagreement with ffs

- Cannot safely travel more than 20mph
- Cannot fire whilst moving
- Cannot reverse over anything higher than 20cm
- Crew cannot spend more than 90 minutes inside them, any more and they become unwell.

Another government spending triumph.
Its NOT a tank and the biggest weakness of these sorts of vehicles is people start to use them as light tanks and instead of 3/4 blokes lost, you could potentially lose 10 blokes.

Back