Are You ? Or would you work on xmas day ? And for how much would you want praying??

Got asked to work 13hrs Xmas eve, Xmas day and Boxing Day. Treble time and days back in lieu next year. Would be a fair old wedge, but I’d never do it.

Work on an RAF base, our shift pattern doesn't change.
No extra pay (other than shift allowance) for working public holidays

Last edited:
I used to (NHS); 6-2, 2-10 & 10-6 shifts as per my rota. Double time + a Lieu day was the rate for working all Bank Hols. I'm thankfully out of of it now.

I think they binned paying double time a few years ago

Worked everyone except lockdown,the life of a chef I guess,normally a good laugh,double time and free beer,many times cannot remember getting home

My mate working Xmas day . 6am - 2pm . Treble time and days holiday next year as payment. Reckons its cracking day as well. Tbh . Depends if u have bairns excited for santa if u would work or not. Depends how much u personally value Xmas day with family but mainly your circumstances. Anyone on here working Xmas day fair play to you 👏 ...
Not praying paying Hahaha
Did it for years when I was ops in the fire service, got double time. It never bothered me before I had kids but the last one I worked was horrendous. Spent all Christmas Eve and Christmas day preparing everything for a knees up at ours then had to leave at half 5 for a Christmas day night shift stone cold sober when everyone else was pissed and having a great time. It's awful, pleased I'm now in a role that demands you take it off. I'm in 2 days between Christmas and new year for any fire safety issues then I'm off till the 8th or something. I feel for anyone having to work it and miss out on quality family time, even Mags...

If Uber is open I'll go out and work. My access arrangements mean my Christmas with my daughter is tomorrow so it's a special early Santa visit. Come xmas day, I have nowt to do at all so instead of sitting watching shit TV and feeling sorry for myself, I'll go and deliver to those in need. Late family dinner around 4 and then maybe back out or might just fall asleep with a movie. Will drive all day boxing day and then back in on nighshift on the night.

Never have, would like to think I’ll never have to.

Appreciate the day a bit more now as the Mrs is a nurse so it’s not a guarantee she’ll be off.

Our job is 24/7 so someone has to be in all the time.
Dodged Christmas working this year but working New Years Eve and Day.
I don't mind working New Year but Christmas for me is family time and always will be.

Back