Are you contented?

I meet people from all walks of life in my job and when out and about . Some are just generally happy people who seem to want for nothing and some are just never happy with their lot.
Are you happy with your lot? If not, what are you doing about it?
( it’s not just a financial thing but I do understand that this could be a factor).
Yes I’m very continent

Very, turned 50 last month and took redundancy from work. Very fortunate that I don’t have to work anymore and the Mrs(no) only does two days giving us time together to do all the stuff we enjoy and the bonus of being able to do all the things I couldn’t do with my older son with my 2yr old daughter... simply things like picking her up from nursery or going to swimming lesson are so fulfilling.

I’m happy enough.

Married to a lovely lass, have a decent job, bought my 1st house, parents and my nan are fine. Financially I’m in a better position than I’ve ever been and my debts bar mortgage will all be gone by start of 2022.

I’d like to be in better shape physically - so gym 3 times a week, 5 a side on a Tuesday, quit smoking. And drinking at least for now.

I had some issues I need to work through so I go therapy twice a month, really helps. Recently find out I’ve probably got ADHD and may be autistic. Explains a bit, waiting on a doctors appointment to try and confirm that.

I’d like to progress my career. Taking some steps towards this. Going alright.

Wanting to learn my wife’s first language and to drive. Making progress on the language. Can’t find a driving instructor.

Driving aside I’m probably more or less where I expected to be age 30. I’m pretty content with that.

That’s really unfortunate but it’s kind of what many struggle with imo. It sounds at least it’s your head rather than the expectations of others ?
That’s really unfortunate but it’s kind of what many struggle with imo. It sounds at least it’s your head rather than the expectations of others ?
Oh it’s definitely me mate - I like order and self discipline - there’s a hint of mild OCD in there as well.
I don’t consider it an illness or anything - there’s far worse off than me .
The upside is that you are respected by others as setting high standards - trouble is they don’t meet my standards and of course never will !

We nabbed a couple of the lads working on a roof out the back last week to have a shifty on the roof and see if they could see where a leak is coming in.

A sheet of lead flashing later, “how much you want for that?” “A drink each”. Hand over £40 and he gives me a tenner back saying £30 is enough.

It pissed it down in a really heavy shower today. Loft dry as a bone, astounding rainbow outside, the lads hopefully enjoyed a couple of pints, and I’m as happy as Larry.

Sometimes it’s just the little things that make you happy.

I was being a bit mischievous tbh and
It all stems back to when our lasses mar said our lass looked”content” :lol:

what she was meaning was she was getting a bit portly and needed to tidy herself up.She never said it but I did after I stopped pissing myself laughing.

“Content” is now an insult in our house.

My mam used the same word to describe my cousin.

What she meant is he’d managed to find himself a lass and a house and had a bairn then turned into a fat bastard.

So I see what you mean... it’s an insult at my parents house too.

I’m happy enough.

Married to a lovely lass, have a decent job, bought my 1st house, parents and my nan are fine. Financially I’m in a better position than I’ve ever been and my debts bar mortgage will all be gone by start of 2022.

I’d like to be in better shape physically - so gym 3 times a week, 5 a side on a Tuesday, quit smoking. And drinking at least for now.

I had some issues I need to work through so I go therapy twice a month, really helps. Recently find out I’ve probably got ADHD and may be autistic. Explains a bit, waiting on a doctors appointment to try and confirm that.

I’d like to progress my career. Taking some steps towards this. Going alright.

Wanting to learn my wife’s first language and to drive. Making progress on the language. Can’t find a driving instructor.

Driving aside I’m probably more or less where I expected to be age 30. I’m pretty content with that.
How do you know you have adhd mate.
I’ve just googled it and I think I have the majority of the symptoms

How do you know you have adhd mate.
I’ve just googled it and I think I have the majority of the symptoms

My therapist gave me some tests after observing my behaviour whilst leaving her office and waiting for a bus. Sounds odd but I move about a lot when a lot of people would just stand still. I thought everyone acted like I did.

As I mentioned in the first post I don’t definitely have it. I’m waiting for a doctor to confirm it. Don’t mind waiting. Not as if it’s life threatening.

This pretty much sums up my situation. I can’t rest because nothing I ever do is good enough (in my mind, not necessarily others) and when I do complete a task or project I give myself zero credit and move straight onto the next thing (all the while dwelling on any aspect that didn’t go exactly to plan).
Yep that’s me - I criticise parts of things I ve done that no one else has even noticed and actually doesn’t matter a jot anyway. Even when people compliment me on a great job !
Problem is you expect others to follow this line which is wholly unfair - I ve learned to bite my tongue over the years . Being a so called “ perfectionist “ doesn’t mean one is perfect ( I m far from it !)it means one strives for an unattainable standard which can never be achieved.... hence the frustration.

We nabbed a couple of the lads working on a roof out the back last week to have a shifty on the roof and see if they could see where a leak is coming in.

A sheet of lead flashing later, “how much you want for that?” “A drink each”. Hand over £40 and he gives me a tenner back saying £30 is enough.

It pissed it down in a really heavy shower today. Loft dry as a bone, astounding rainbow outside, the lads hopefully enjoyed a couple of pints, and I’m as happy as Larry.

Sometimes it’s just the little things that make you happy.
But the blokes roof out the back is leaking like a sieve - lead flashing not installed apparently.

😉

My therapist gave me some tests after observing my behaviour whilst leaving her office and waiting for a bus. Sounds odd but I move about a lot when a lot of people would just stand still. I thought everyone acted like I did.

As I mentioned in the first post I don’t definitely have it. I’m waiting for a doctor to confirm it. Don’t mind waiting. Not as if it’s life threatening.
I can stay remarkably still tbh. Our lass says I’m a lazy get.
However some of the other so called indicators I definitely have.

Yep that’s me - I criticise parts of things I ve done that no one else has even noticed and actually doesn’t matter a jot anyway. Even when people compliment me on a great job !
Problem is you expect others to follow this line which is wholly unfair - I ve learned to bite my tongue over the years . Being a so called “ perfectionist “ doesn’t mean one is perfect ( I m far from it !)it means one strives for an unattainable standard which can never be achieved.... hence the frustration.

Yep exactly that - identifying as a perfectionist can be misinterpreted as a positive but in reality it’s a frustrating, self-critical, unachievable place to be.

I try not to project it onto my team but all it tends to mean is I do more stuff myself than is manageable or struggle to let even the smallest imperfection slide.

Back