Are you anything like your dad?

He walked away and left my Mam when she was pregnant with me and my sister was only 18 months old.

What’s really sad is reading this thread, the amount of blokes that have done the same or people saying that they have a crap Dad.

I don’t really ever think about my Dad to be honest, My Mam is such a strong woman I’ve never felt I needed him.

My oldest lad sadly doesn’t speak to his Dad, it’s coming up 3 years and he just says now he can’t see a place for him in his life anymore.

Lost him when i was 21, missed lots of things i’d have liked to have shared with him and often wonder what he’d have made of me now.
He was ahead of his time with helping my Mam in the house, shopping etc. Taught me a lot watching him do this as a kid. Loved my Mam and vice versa like i’ve never seen, he would put her first in any situation, basically taught me how to treat and respect a Woman and how to show my love in many different ways, not by any other medium but watching them together. Look very similar to him, i’d be proud to be half the man he was, he wasn’t perfect but who is.

he walked out when I was 6, I saw him a couple of times before I was 8, usually taking me to the pub with him. I then caught up with him in my early 20s, turned out he’d cut out the drink and started a new life in France with a new family and was actually a nice bloke and we are unbelievably similar in basically every way.

Not really. When we get together, which isn't often, and have a few glasses of wine we become the same kind of merry/silly. But that's about it. As people we are totally different.

Never hit a woman.
Never threatened my children with violence.
Never been to prison.
Have had addictions, although different ones.

We've little in common.

I'm 62 and the only difference between me and my late father is that I have a full head of hair whilst Dad was bald as a coot! :lol:
I even have the same hair. Virtually none on top but still there on the sides and back. The difference is I shave mine for a modern look where as he was some sort of comb over sinsai. My Dad and cossack hairspray would have been singlehandedly responsible for destroying a large chunk of the ozone layer as he manipulated it into place. My memories as a child of near choking to death as you passed by him doing his hair in the big mirror at the foot of the stairs. 🤣

Back