Are you anything like your dad?

I genuinely hope I don’t turn out like him.

He’s not a bad bloke but when you spend your days, your weeks and years looking after someone as they have made bad choices throughout life and haven’t made any effort to improve their lot, you end up despising them.

I genuinely hope I don’t give my kids the burden he is giving me.

Still wouldn’t drop him so do it regardless

I genuinely hope I don’t turn out like him.

He’s not a bad bloke but when you spend your days, your weeks and years looking after someone as they have made bad choices throughout life and haven’t made any effort to improve their lot, you end up despising them.

I genuinely hope I don’t give my kids the burden he is giving me.

Still wouldn’t drop him so do it regardless

You’ve mentioned him a few times and I have a lot of respect for you to take time out of your life to look after him as you do.

My dad died almost 50 years ago so it’s difficult to say.
Certainly I’m like my mam. Awkward, sarcastic, moody and a liking for the drink.

Not really no. He's totally laid back and lives life at one pace. His pace. I'm good at manual stuff which he taught me and good at solving problems. He's happy with his lot whereas I'm always aiming for something else. Unquestionably loyal and will do anything for anyone which is something I share with him. For me he's been an incredibly calming influence and always been there when needed. Wiser than he let's on too. Sacrificed half of his life offshore to make sure the family were provided for. If I can repeat that I'd be happy.

The differences are( were) generational, some questionable language around race but 100% not actually racist and quite rightly taught us to respect everyone regardless until they had proven they didn’t deserve that respect. Helped out round the house, did a bit of cooking. He was pretty enlightened for someone of his time though
He liked a good drink and a bet and I’m not a big gambler.
The older I get the more I realise I’m basically a more modern version of him, produced in the 70’s rather than the 30’s.
I’m fairly comfortable with that, he was essentially a good man, loved my mam to bits and was a loving dad.

Back