Are we over or under achieving this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Under for me, We're in a good position but most of those signed came with a good reputation. A lot of people including myself thought we would walk this league.

Shows how much I know:D

Under for me, We're in a good position but most of those signed came with a good reputation. A lot of people including myself thought we would walk this league.

Shows how much I know:D
Why did you think we would walk the league?

Over. What have we been doing each season for over 10 years? Compared to it we are over achieving.

Few thought we could finish so well and win as many games.

Cant believe question is being asked or being seriously contemplated. Sunderland. In Third Division. Struggling to even get out of it. Tom Watson will be spinning in his grave. Meanwhile big clubs in English football wonder what Third Division football means.

Cant believe question is being asked or being seriously contemplated. Sunderland. In Third Division. Struggling to even get out of it. Tom Watson will be spinning in his grave. Meanwhile big clubs in English football wonder what Third Division football means.

Bore off man. Weirdo.

Its an interesting question.

We could have just about gone under at the start of the season. We seemingly on the outside looked like we were fucked. Ross had just 11 players and started off from a poor base. The expectation at SAFC is always enormous, for historic reasons, but if you were pragmatic youd probably say that given where we were in August we've steadied the ship and its a reasonably good effort to be where we are now. Other clubs wont see it like that but we know only too well what a shit state we were in.

Pick either one.

Only overachieve if we win the league - which we aren't. Par is getting promoted (either automatic or Play Offs)

Under-achieve if we don't go up. We're Sunderland in League 1 ffs. Balls to this 'About stability'

Looking at the top 5 sides I bet most would have called them out before the start of the season. Luton though would have been expected to finish just in the play offs at best.
You are where you are and expected to be. There was no way you were going to walk this League and you are in with a great chance to go up.

It is hard to tell, is it the squad not good enough? is it failed tactics/utilisation of players? However, the real problems of lack of muscle and height have been obvious, the team tends to buckle when opposition come at us. Hence so many points lost late in games. We should have been promoted a month ago.

When we forked out that much dosh for Grigg we started to underachievement. The average cost of the squad was always massive but that was the moment we actively made a decision to change the status quo.

Its an interesting question.

We could have just about gone under at the start of the season. We seemingly on the outside looked like we were fucked. Ross had just 11 players and started off from a poor base. The expectation at SAFC is always enormous, for historic reasons, but if you were pragmatic youd probably say that given where we were in August we've steadied the ship and its a reasonably good effort to be where we are now. Other clubs wont see it like that but we know only too well what a shit state we were in.

Pick either one.

Exactly.
Under achievement based on history, support and budget (although not a positive in some ways)

Par/over achievement based on horrific 2 previous seasons, fragile mentality of remaining players at start of season and budget having the massive problem of some premier league wage packets going to wasters like Pap, Rodwell and Kone until they could shoehorn them out the door.

I conclude Par and don’t think we will really be able to fully reset things until the contracts are up of all the remnants of the Moyes relegation squad.

The decisions that the regime have made have been pretty much all ‘win now’ decisions. That’s the reason I’d say we’re underperforming. Personally I’d have preferred us to rebuild from the ground up - even if that meant another year or so at this level. The worst case scenario would be for us to make win now moves and still fail to get up. That would be far more damaging than just the wasted year.

Last edited:
If we go up, however we do it, we've achieved what we should. Fail to go up and we've underachieved. Yes there was a big rebuild to do, but after the first couple months of the season the players should know each other's game, especially when there was a fair bit of continuity (Matthews, Gooch, Honeyman, McGeady and Maja, Oviedo in the first game as well). Not as if we're the only club in this division to have a substantial turnover of players. We've got an amazing squad for this division, a second choice that, if all were fit, should probably be capable of challenging for play offs, and we've broken the transfer record. Can't spin it any other way, this squad should be going up, and Ross has also stated that is his target for a successful season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back