Are we over or under achieving this season?

Discussion in 'Pure Football' started by May_1973, Apr 16, 2019.

1. May_1973

May_1973 Goalkeeper

People keep saying about only 3 losses which doesn’t exactly tell the full story.
    3 loses is remarkable. However, not when you put 18 draws into the same sentence. Shows we’ve dropped points throughout the season.

Despite the 3 loses we are very much in a battle for 2nd place and looking at the bookies odds (Sky Bet) were 3rd favourite for that position (5/2) odds for 2nd place behind Barnsley (Fav) and Pompey (2nd Favs).

ilovehorswill likes this.
  2. two left feet

two left feet Midfield

Compared to what?

It’s a fresh start with a new manager, new players. I had no expectations for the season.

3. forzamilansafc

forzamilansafc Striker

If we don't finish top 2 then we've under achieved

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  4. With five games left it's in the balance but whatever happens I don't think we can say we overacheived. Promotion was par for the course.

gipetto and Mainze like this.
  5. At this point in time we’ve underachieved, which is a much nicer way of saying failed.

6. The Voice Of Reason

The Voice Of Reason Striker Staff Member Contributor

Unfortunately we look to be about where we deserve to be

7. max wartbug

max wartbug Winger

From our starting point, that was pretty much way below the base line, it would be churlish to say we have underachieved.

tooliohelmet and bagpiperay like this.
  8. McGregor

McGregor Central Defender

I think with a pretty much whole new squad, new manager we have done well to be where we are.. Didn't expect us to challenge for top two yet here we are.. I expected us to challenge for play offs and we've confirmed that already. So expectations have been met imo.

9. This. And if we don't go up it will be underachievement.

madmonk and Lord Alfred like this.
  10. RichD

RichD Striker

Luton have been the suprise package, take them out of the frame and we are where we should be..

11. Compared to our long history and the one and only time we've previously been in this league.

12. Said it the other day, when I booked my Charlton ticket ( 1st game) my expectations were zero. After the game I hoped we would hang on in & make a go for the play offs after Xmas.
    On that basis we are a bit ahead of where I thought we’d be

13. Jme

Jme Central Defender

considering we didn't have a functioning club at the end of last season, I think the fact we are in the fight for second is a good achievement .. we of course need to finish it and get that second place .. there's plenty of examples where supposedly big clubs floundered at this level for a few seasons ..nothing is easy at whatever level you find yourself..

14. chave

chave Goalkeeper

From an outside perspective, I don't think you're underachieving. You've got an imbalanced squad, the manager is untested at this level and players were signed without the manager knowing what he needed. Promotion was always going to be a stretch at the start of the season, and you've done better than I thought.

15. TopCat

TopCat Striker

Tend to agree with this.
    The upheaval in teh summer, the new owners, the new management team and massive changes in the playing squad meamnt we started a bit slowly, but I think we should be expecting more now of a squad that has PL/Championship standard players in it. Our main weakness is our defence and that is costing us game after game.

16. safcrob

safcrob Midfield

I think neither, this league is like well suited to most of the players.

17. TravellingMackem

TravellingMackem Goalkeeper

Where we deserve to be on balance of performance (both managerial and player) I don’t think anyone would disagree. Question of under or over achievement though relates to should we be doing better with resources available?

18. Whole new squad?

We changed the three clowns who masqueraded as keepers for a much better one but we had Matthews, Oviedo, Hume, Cattermole, Honeyman, Gooch, McGeady,Watmore and Maja already at the club That's EIGHT of a starting X1.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    Herberthall, Johnsafc and Chop Sauce like this.
  19. TopCat

TopCat Striker

Interesting perspective

I think we should

Chop Sauce likes this.
  20. Sack_2021

Sack_2021 Subs Bench

How could our lowest ever finish be overachieving?

SAFC 2012 and Chop Sauce like this.