Are Driving standards getting worse

Nope to you suggesting animosity is diwn to people taking the piss. Seen it on here plenty of times that drivers doing exactly as they should be described as taking the piss. Do you think when someone approaches two lanes, and see one packed and one free that they join the packed lane as using the other is taking the piss?

I am suggesting exactly that marra - people do take the piss.

I'm not in the car long to work but there's at least one tit doing something daft every day.

One I've notice recently cos I've been going a different way is coming down Durham Road onto the roundabout with St Michael's way and Stockton Road. Git big sign on approach saying the right lane at the roundabout is for Thornhill Crescent, the other two are for Stockton Road, with the left one for Albion Places as well.

Nearly every day someone will be in the middle lane for Stockton Road, then move over to the left lane halfway round the roundabout without looking at who they've just cut up. Don't understand the problem me. If the sign says two lanes onto that road, stay in the middle lane and you come off the roundabout in the right lane of Stockton Road.

Built up roundabouts are an issue as well. We have a few up here in Dundee where you can't see traffic coming from the opposite direction that's turning right, and when you pull out they appear at speed from your right. Some of the fuckers are practically on two wheels they're going that fast. Combined with idiots pulling out an inch behind traffic in order to get onto the roundabout it's an accident waiting to happen. If you have to brake you're going to get sideswiped.

I think a lot of the roundabout issues could be solved by having more roadside signage on approach. When the road's chockablock, you often can't see the on-road markings. No excuse for turning right from the left-hand lane or for cutting across three lanes at the last minute, but it might help.

Nope to you suggesting animosity is diwn to people taking the piss. Seen it on here plenty of times that drivers doing exactly as they should be described as taking the piss. Do you think when someone approaches two lanes, and see one packed and one free that they join the packed lane as using the other is taking the piss?

Aye. When the longer queue is to go straight on or left and the shorter queue is to go right you get ‘more importants’ going in the right lane to get to the junction quicker then either going all the way round the roundabout to go straight on or cutting across. All because they are obviously more important than everyone else. Knobheads.

Other gripes - people on phones, doing 50 odd in outside lane, tailgating, speeding up whilst being overtaken, not indicating right all the way past 2 or 3 exits on a roundabout then indicating left at the final exit fckn bizarre behaviour that is. Boy racers absolute danger and should be banned for life.

Solutions - everyone passing their test should be made to watch a half hour training video from the fire brigade or paramedics graphically showing some real life accidents.

Retired people should not be allowed to drive between 7.45am and 9.15am - 4pm and 6pm weekdays.
All Cars should be limited to 70mph and fitted with these speed reductions devices.

I have to acknowledge that people who told me it was down to car safety are definitely correct on that score. I had a serious accident on the road when I was 21 (no-fault) and would almost certainly have died had that been 1973 rather than 2013.

I am suggesting exactly that marra - people do take the piss.

Yes but you seem to think doing exactly as you're meant to is taking the piss.
Aye. When the longer queue is to go straight on or left and the shorter queue is to go right you get ‘more importants’ going in the right lane to get to the junction quicker then either going all the way round the roundabout to go straight on or cutting across. All because they are obviously more important than everyone else. Knobheads.

Other gripes - people on phones, doing 50 odd in outside lane, tailgating, speeding up whilst being overtaken, not indicating right all the way past 2 or 3 exits on a roundabout then indicating left at the final exit fckn bizarre behaviour that is. Boy racers absolute danger and should be banned for life.

Solutions - everyone passing their test should be made to watch a half hour training video from the fire brigade or paramedics graphically showing some real life accidents.

Retired people should not be allowed to drive between 7.45am and 9.15am - 4pm and 6pm weekdays.
All Cars should be limited to 70mph and fitted with these speed reductions devices.

We are talking about merge in turns. So there becomes only one one lane, and until that point people should, as instructed, be using both lanes.

It's mental how many people simply don't get it.

Last edited:
Someone on a P plate was driving at 25 on the A19 the other day. How they passed their test I do not know.

But yes driving standards are getting worse. People are more selfish than ever before and think they have a divine right to do what they like.

We are talking about merge in turns. So there becomes only one one lane, and until that point people should, as instructed, be using both lanes.

It's mental how many people simply don't get it.

I haven’t read the whole thread but are there still idiots who think they have to sit in the left hand lane when there’s a filter from 2 to 1 despite the f***ing signs TELLING THEM TO MERGE IN TURN?

People are thick.

Last edited:

No marra, the merge in turn Rule 134 is quite clear to me, and I respect it.
I am purely mentioning that people do take the piss which can infuriate the good road users.
I shall give you a local example - going South from the Team Valley up the bank past the Angel - the road is a short 3 laner.
Then it goes back into the 2 lanes at the top, yet you still get people bombing up the outside lane trying to be clever, and the cutting-in at the top.
The road is quite clearly marked as well.
This twattish behaviour is what I call taking the piss.

No marra, the merge in turn Rule 134 is quite clear to me, and I respect it.
I am purely mentioning that people do take the piss which can infuriate the good road users.
I shall give you a local example - going South from the Team Valley up the bank past the Angel - the road is a short 3 laner.
Then it goes back into the 2 lanes at the top, yet you still get people bombing up the outside lane trying to be clever, and the cutting-in at the top.
The road is quite clearly marked as well.
This twattish behaviour is what I call taking the piss.

Fully agreed there marra.

We were on about roadworks where there's a sign saying merge in turn. People fuming that people are using the lane that closes up to the point it merges. Nuggets.
I haven’t read the whole thread but are there still idiots who think they have to sit in the left hand lane when there’s a filter from 2 to 1 despite the f***ing signs TELLING THEM TO MERGE IN TURN?

People are thick.

Correct. Its baffling and is definitely a British problem.

Not really but it’s nowt to do with the car, it’s not speed I’m seeing it’s people sat in the outside lane, it’s people tail gating, it’s people flying across two lanes to make the 1231 turn off, it’s people not understanding roundabouts despite it being painted on the road

I agree with you that the majority of poor driving I see isn’t inappropriate speed but the point I was addressing was in regards to young lads in powerful cars.

I took your post to mean that you disagreed with the other poster who said that cheap leases of entry-level BMWs, Mercedes and Audis have put reasonably powerful cars in reach of young lads without the experience to handle them.
I think a lot of the roundabout issues could be solved by having more roadside signage on approach. When the road's chockablock, you often can't see the on-road markings. No excuse for turning right from the left-hand lane or for cutting across three lanes at the last minute, but it might help.

A surprising amount of roundabouts don’t have lane guidance signage on approach. Normally not a problem, but if you encounter one that’s not a standard roundabout, eg left lane is left turn only and right is straight on, it’s a bit annoying.

Last edited:
A surprising amount of roundabouts don’t have lane guidance signage on approach. Normally not a problem, but if you encounter one that’s not a standard roundabout, eg left lane is left turn only and right is straight on, it’s a bit annoying.
Seems to be a UK issue; driving in France and North America the guidance is much clearer on approach to roundabouts. There aren't many in the US/Canada but France has soooooo many roundabouts, and they don't seem to have the issues we do.

Another executable offence should be for those that ignore the priority signs when roads go to one lane in built up areas.

I always hold off because I know what shithouses people are but some day I’m just going to go through one of those chicanes as is my right with having priority.

I find the drive to work is okay but the drive home is mental. People drive like lunatics to get home and all they are doing is probably sitting in front of the TV anyway.

Not enough drivers have good anticipation and awareness. I can see 5 cars back that is clear at the roundabout but the car at front stops to a hault. It causes traffic jams and makes everyone behind annoyed.

The worst driven car on Britain’s roads has to be the BMW 1 series.

BMW drivers are overwhelmingly cocks, but the affordability of the 1 series means they’re bought or leased by charvers or 20 something lads who live with their Mam
Here’s a man who knows his onions.

If driving standards genuinely are falling, it flies in the face of the RTC statistics which show fatalities on the decrease consistently since 1966. Even just in the last decade, they've fallen massively: there were 39% fewer fatalities in 2017 compared with 2007.

Edit: source Road accidents and safety statistics

I think this is more down to safety of cars. Even in the last few years the improvements made. Improvements over the years like side impact bars, air bags etc and the weeding out of older more unsafe cars.
Young drivers attitudes are shocking to the road as well. They go on like its a video game. Old people driving at 30 or 40 in a 60 are just as much a hazard
Car manufacturers placing in dash cams as standard will start to change peoples attitudes. People lie through their teeth to insurance companies about how accidents happen, even to police.

Last edited:

Back