Are Driving standards getting worse

Gentwo

Midfield
Were talking about this at work, the trip home from it pretty much reinforced what was said.
Almost everyday there seems to be a bad collision or even worse, watching some drivers is f***ing terrifying to be perfectly honest, i don't drive myself (currently learning) but on a 25 minute bus journey today, 3 cars cut in front of either the bus itself or a car in front, a Quad thing cut across a lane of traffic to get in front of a bus in front to mount the kerb outside a shop and almost hit a pedestrian and then coming over the town bridge someone skipped the lights coming off Dame Dorothy turning right up Bridge Street and almost got wiped out by the bus i was on, then the bus itself tried to skip a red light and nearly hit someone.

Are people really that desperate to jump a red light and get somewhere that few minutes quicker.

Lad i work with has been banned for 3 years for drink driving, lad on the opposite shift for 18 months, another wrapped his car around a tree trying to impress his lass and wrote off his 19 plate Golf.

What seems to be the issue now, do people not give a fuck because there are less coppers about or is it as a colleague believed that its young, headstrong young 'uns getting cars on finance too powerful for them right out the gates and can't control them or in some cases get sniffed up or pissed and decide it's worth bombing out in their financed Merc or BMW at stupid speeds, these are the types that have turned my street into a drag strip at night.

A mate of mine has been a driving instructor for 22 years and said he's stopped young lads taking their tests because they have issues he wants to remedy before they get out on the road, so they've fucked off to other instructors and been out on the road within weeks and subsequently banned within a year.

Seems people just don't give a fuck on the roads anymore.

Were talking about this at work, the trip home from it pretty much reinforced what was said.
Almost everyday there seems to be a bad collision or even worse, watching some drivers is f***ing terrifying to be perfectly honest, i don't drive myself (currently learning) but on a 25 minute bus journey today, 3 cars cut in front of either the bus itself or a car in front, a Quad thing cut across a lane of traffic to get in front of a bus in front to mount the kerb outside a shop and almost hit a pedestrian and then coming over the town bridge someone skipped the lights coming off Dame Dorothy turning right up Bridge Street and almost got wiped out by the bus i was on, then the bus itself tried to skip a red light and nearly hit someone.

Are people really that desperate to jump a red light and get somewhere that few minutes quicker.

Lad i work with has been banned for 3 years for drink driving, lad on the opposite shift for 18 months, another wrapped his car around a tree trying to impress his lass and wrote off his 19 plate Golf.

What seems to be the issue now, do people not give a fuck because there are less coppers about or is it as a colleague believed that its young, headstrong young 'uns getting cars on finance too powerful for them right out the gates and can't control them or in some cases get sniffed up or pissed and decide it's worth bombing out in their financed Merc or BMW at stupid speeds, these are the types that have turned my street into a drag strip at night.

A mate of mine has been a driving instructor for 22 years and said he's stopped young lads taking their tests because they have issues he wants to remedy before they get out on the road, so they've fucked off to other instructors and been out on the road within weeks and subsequently banned within a year.

There’s the problem right there. Too many learners who then pass and think they are invincible. Or it’s the opposite, they’ve passed and are shit scared of actually going near the speed limit or just in general shitty arses.

Yes they are, there is almost zero chance of getting pulled over by the police these days.

If driving standards genuinely are falling, it flies in the face of the RTC statistics which show fatalities on the decrease consistently since 1966. Even just in the last decade, they've fallen massively: there were 39% fewer fatalities in 2017 compared with 2007.

Edit: source Road accidents and safety statistics
How much of that is down to safer cars?
Next time you pull up to a roundabout take a look in your rear view mirror, you will be amazed how many people you see looking down at there phones.

If driving standards genuinely are falling, it flies in the face of the RTC statistics which show fatalities on the decrease consistently since 1966. Even just in the last decade, they've fallen massively: there were 39% fewer fatalities in 2017 compared with 2007.

That’s more to do with advancements in car safety technology than driving standards. Almost entirely so, I’d say

The state of people's cars was shocking in 1966. I believe the decrease in accidents is at least in part because the vehicles themselves are safer - better steering, brakes, the MOT test was only introduced in the 1960s and got more stringent over time.

But in fairness the stats do back you up

I’d shoot whoever it is that deals with road layouts, it was simple and straightforward before they started sticking traffic lights everywhere and the non standardisation of roundabouts.
Benton asda is something else. They've replaced a normal mini roundabout with a shit ton of lights. Why the fuck can some people not use roundabouts? My lass (no) is terrible with them.

The state of people's cars was shocking in 1966. I believe the decrease in accidents is at least in part because the vehicles themselves are safer - better steering, brakes, the MOT test was only introduced in the 1960s and got more stringent over time.

But in fairness the stats do back you up

The rate of people killed or seriously injured in England has plateaued of late, with a small rise in the last year or so for the rate for children specifically

Cars are smarter and safer than ever but a plateau or rise is indicative of poor driving standards IMO

Biased I know since I work in a town where people drive and cycle like it’s the Wild West, but I see so much poor driving.

Constant speeding, undertaking, lack of indicating, etc. A bloke nearly hit me last night because he sped onto a roundabout with very poor visibility and did not give way to me.

I live in a much more rural place and the driving I see on my commute is just as bad. Motorbikes by far the worst offenders though.

Last edited:

Back