April Voting - Classic Black & White

Challenge winner??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Haway then G, what is the May crack?

Does it involve attaching LEDs to your knob?

Right, there's my votes cast.

A couple of good shots that didn't get votes:

Smoker; a lovely shot but badly let down by the vertical lines in the sky. I can only assume this was PP
Orosso; A good subject but I thought the composition would have been better with just a little of the ground in the frame.

my votes

hebburn-great texture

icare.....-great scale

ayesane- hypnotic no pun intended

china nearly got a vote but just lacked sharpness understandable given it was probably a snapshot

Class competition this month, some outstanding entries. I've taken the time to put down my thoughts on each image, these are just the thoughts of a bloke looking at photographs - i'm nee critic.

One

Beautiful model, you have nailed the lighting. I like the Cream tone, and the processing although a little of the detail has been lost. Perfect skin tone.

MaDMaCKeM

I didn't know this place existed and promptly Googled it to find it's location. I especially like the cloud intersecting the harsh geometry of the sculpture. Voted

clyde

Impressive focus, all the detail is retained in the flowers and jewellery. Captured the moment beautifully.

robcal

Your shot makes me crave sea food. :) I like the idea of using what is already black and white as opposed to extracting colour to make a black and white image.

TiredEyes

I really like the uniform depth of field. Perfect for black and white.

not spavin

When you posted this I was shocked at the level of detail retained, you can see texture in almost every part of the image. The perspective could not be better either.

super-niall

Excellent composition, (where is this?). The slower shutter speed makes this image, works very well in black and white. (is that a smudge on your sensor?)

sketchy

Set the scene beautifully here. I especially like the splash from the wave closest to the camera. The perspective of the stone jetty is very well thought out.

wor kid telt me

I like the symmetry of this image, you have spent some time composing it and it has paid off. The detail in the masonry is very nice. Voted

tom tom macute

Impressive focus and wonderful timing. (are these stones in Morpeth?) I love the casualness of the gent walking with his hand's in his pockets, in disregard to the potential soaking he could get if he takes one bad step.

minkeysteve

I think this is a fantastic idea. Very original. The texture and hardness of bone in smooth, organic shapes - not many better ideas in this competition. The only let down is the lighting, it's hidden some of the key details.

MalmöMakem

The scene behind is well captured in bokeh, I like the depth of field.

cook

:-D beautiful little'n. I like the focus on the bairns hand - it make's you wonder how it all works. The digits and nails being so tiny but so utterly perfect.

Steeeeed

The less said about this the better! no seriously, this is a wonderful shot I have looked at multiple times since you posted it. SEX I think it's called, I cannot remember seeing a shot of the sage as good as this. cannot imagine it in colour and don't want to. Voted

HebburnMackem

Excellent composition and multiple wins on texture choices. It tells a story aswell and works perfectly in black and white. You just missed the focus ,but because of the close proximity to your interest my eyes are drawn to the plant pot.

smoker

I like the authentic look of this, the perspective of the train is excellent. A very gritty image which works very well in sepia. I like your processing, it looks nostalgic.

bigmac

The composition is great here, the reflections, sun and distant detail all work really well together. i especially like the wisps of cloud in the top right.

Iain Hesford's Bait Box

Technically the best shot in the competition IMO. Perfect timing, perfect focus and tremendous adhoc composition. You're not even allowed to take photographs on the underground are you? utterly class. Also, your black and white conversion is excellent please post your secrets. Voted

chinamackem

I really like the motion blur in this, it sets the scene really well. This is a fun image and you have captured the moment really well.

Icarebecauseyoudo

This image makes me feel abit sick TBH, sick with envy. I could look at it for hours and still not be satisfied I have taken it all in. The scene, the reflection, the steam, the rays, the background.. holy shit this is a fantastically good photograph. Is this a conversion to black and white btw? Voted

paws

Wonderful location. The leading lines, the symmetry of the embankments and the excellent cloud formation are all spot on. You have clearly thought about this aswell, perfect for black and white: very impressive. Voted.

My Left Foot

I first saw this on Fliker. The refection and stillness make this image very easy to look at, and even slightly relaxing. Really impressed with how it looks in black and white.

The Great Soprendo

You can see the finger prints on this image! it took me a while to identify whay it was in the hand, went from tooth, to chewing gum, then finally arrived at sea snail. The woolens in this image will appeal to ICBYD.

oROSSo

I'm surprised you got all of it in from such an acute angle! I particularly like the cloud formation, it gives the angle a different scale and it works really well. Looks fantastic in black and white.

Amnorrageordie

I like the reflections running down the left and right of the car body. The contrast between the badges and the radiator grill are interesting. The detail in the radiator is very good also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steeeeed - Outstanding shot of the Sage, love the symmetry and the varying shades of grey, outstanding !! - VOTE

ICBYD - I like this shot, even with the heavy PP, probably would have won last months competition too - VOTE

Some others I think are worthy of mention and close to a vote.

MaDMaCKem - Love this shot but that pesky cloud is spoiling the harsh geometric shape of the architecture against the sky, just misses out on a vote because of the high quality this month, so close.

wor kid telt me - I like the shooting angle and the symmetry in this one, again bloody clouds and the clock bases asymmetry spoils it for me.

ayesane - I really like this shot, beautiful but I don't think it benefits from being B&W, I imagine a dazzling baby blue eye colour that's lost in B&W, also I don't like the autograph on the face !! :lol:

bollocks, I didn't read the bit that said you can vote more than once! Only voted for one then submitted, too late now

So superb he voted for it himself. :lol:

Think I voted for the car, the train, the sage, the speed boat, the flowers and one or two others.

cunning wasn't it :lol:

wished I hadn't now :oops:

In answer to ayesane, yes it is a conversion from Provia 400x. The colour is nice, but works better in b&w as the viaduct is pretty dark

Incredibly difficult to choose the best this month, picked a few that I would have been glad to take. As said before all were worthy of a vote so sorry if I didnt vote for you, and thanks to those of you who voted for me.

I only vote for my favourite,and that goes to IHBB.Classy shot,well thought out,shot and processed though i would have cropped out that grating thing at the bottom,bit distracting like.

My favourites and votes:

Madmackem: fulfills the brief perfectly - black and white is all about textures and shape, and this has bucketloads.

Not spavin: likewise. The texture of the brushed aluminium bodywork is great in B&W (and for the sharp lens on your Leica!)

Steed: the contrast between manmade and natural is striking and yet they reflect one another beautifully (literally, and metaphorically). My favourite of the month.

Icarebecauseyoudo: too bloody good by half. Not sure about this conversion nonsense mind ;)

Quality competition this month.

Blimey, that was difficult - too many entries, too high a standard. Well done to all concerned.

Couldn't pick a winner, so went for my particular favourites:

ONE
She's fit.

Madmackem
Love the clean lines and the geometry. Some great shadows make it perfect for b+w.

NotSpavin
I really like the different shades and what top subject matter!

Sketchy
The photo is made by the spray in the foreground imo. Adds loads of depth to an interesting shot.

Tom Tom Macute
I particularly like the way the reflections on the water are enhanced by the b+w. Desperate to know if the bloke falls in as he casually strolls across.

Can't be arsed to write any more, but voted for a few.

From my own time taking part in this competition, which I think is about 6 months, this is hands down the best standard and most difficult to pick which ones to vote for. When looking at black and white images I always ask myself what the conversion has added to the scene, so this will no doubt be in my mind when I'm looking at the shots. Here are my ramblings and which ones I've voted for (just the opinions of an amateur and hope no-one gets pissed at me!);

One - Nice composition, however for me the highlights are too blown and the model is too smooth, not enough detail, for example in the hair.

MadMackem - a very nice abstract piece and works great in B&W. I may have considered cropping a little more from the bottom and the left so the sculpture took up more of the frame. Might not have worked though. Just misses out on a vote.

Clyde - another very nice wedding pic, great emotion. There's money in them there weddings! My only problem with this is that it's not your winning wedding entry from last year, which was even better.

Robcal - works well in B&W but doesn't grab me.

TiredEyes - nice idea, nice bokeh and works in B&W. However, there is a very dominant flower 1/3 to half way into the scene and i think this is the one that should be in sharp focus.

Not Spavin - great detail in the metal and lovely composition.

Super-niall - nice little scene but I would like to see what it was like in colour. I'm not sure that B&W gives it anything that colour wouldn't.

Sketchy - my initial thought is that I would have tried to position myself at the start of the structure that the two fishermen are on, then I'm reminded that there are two moving boats and this had to be taken right then. Nice shot, really gives me an idea of the feeling of the day.

wor kid telt me - nice detail throughout. Doesn't make me feel dizzy looking at it either, which it does whenever I try one of these shots.

tom tom - nice composition and use of rule of thirds. Shame the sky is overcast (not much you can do about that though).

minkeysteve - nice idea and I can't tell if you shot in colour or converted to B&W. Nice technique.

Malmo - nice to see a live sports shot. However, the focus being on the grass doesn't work for me and I think there is too much blurred area in the foreground. The front player in focus (and with a full head) would have been close to a winning shot in my opinion.

Cook - nice pic. Fantastic detail on the blanket and the fingers.

Hebburn - nice pic and would have worked really well in the environmental portrait competition last year. Works well in this one too mind. Just feel that I lose the focus a little, should have been on the action, which is the hands.

Smoker - just feels natural in B&W. Lovely leading line of the trains on the right. VOTE

Bigmac - nice sense of isolation, which is probably added to by the B&W. Sun a bit distracting though.

Ayesane - Lovely composition, detail and bokeh at such close distance. Great reflection too. I've decided to ignore the signature! VOTE

IHBB - this is mint. My favourite of the month. Everything is great. This is the reason why I'll get mugged at Wallsend metro station in the coming weeks. VOTE

chinamackem - it's another one that has to be taken there and then so it's hard to be arsey about composition, however a little more to the left to cut out the tree and a bit quicker shutter speed would have led to a better shot. Looks fun though!

ICBYD - comp, detail in the smoke, rays of sunlight - excellent. VOTE

Paws - nice leading lines, nice depth of field and nice sky.

My left foot - really nice composition and detail throughout the scene. It's another one though where I'm wondering if it benefits from being in b&w or would colour be better?

The Great Soprendo - I wonder if the highlights could have been toned down a bit so we could see some more details in the hands, i.e. the lines. Lovely depth of field though.

Ross - Love the sky and it's a nice comp, but what's happened to the end of the wings? Thought they were straight, i.e. vertical.

Amnorrageordie - classic car in b&w, feels very natural and works. Nice one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back