April Voting - Classic Black & White

Challenge winner??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Class competition this month, some outstanding entries. I've taken the time to put down my thoughts on each image, these are just the thoughts of a bloke looking at photographs - i'm nee critic.

One

Beautiful model, you have nailed the lighting. I like the Cream tone, and the processing although a little of the detail has been lost. Perfect skin tone.

MaDMaCKeM

I didn't know this place existed and promptly Googled it to find it's location. I especially like the cloud intersecting the harsh geometry of the sculpture. Voted

clyde

Impressive focus, all the detail is retained in the flowers and jewellery. Captured the moment beautifully.

robcal

Your shot makes me crave sea food. :) I like the idea of using what is already black and white as opposed to extracting colour to make a black and white image.

TiredEyes

I really like the uniform depth of field. Perfect for black and white.

not spavin

When you posted this I was shocked at the level of detail retained, you can see texture in almost every part of the image. The perspective could not be better either.

super-niall

Excellent composition, (where is this?). The slower shutter speed makes this image, works very well in black and white. (is that a smudge on your sensor?)

sketchy

Set the scene beautifully here. I especially like the splash from the wave closest to the camera. The perspective of the stone jetty is very well thought out.

wor kid telt me

I like the symmetry of this image, you have spent some time composing it and it has paid off. The detail in the masonry is very nice. Voted

tom tom macute

Impressive focus and wonderful timing. (are these stones in Morpeth?) I love the casualness of the gent walking with his hand's in his pockets, in disregard to the potential soaking he could get if he takes one bad step.

minkeysteve

I think this is a fantastic idea. Very original. The texture and hardness of bone in smooth, organic shapes - not many better ideas in this competition. The only let down is the lighting, it's hidden some of the key details.

MalmöMakem

The scene behind is well captured in bokeh, I like the depth of field.

cook

:-D beautiful little'n. I like the focus on the bairns hand - it make's you wonder how it all works. The digits and nails being so tiny but so utterly perfect.

Steeeeed

The less said about this the better! no seriously, this is a wonderful shot I have looked at multiple times since you posted it. SEX I think it's called, I cannot remember seeing a shot of the sage as good as this. cannot imagine it in colour and don't want to. Voted

HebburnMackem

Excellent composition and multiple wins on texture choices. It tells a story aswell and works perfectly in black and white. You just missed the focus ,but because of the close proximity to your interest my eyes are drawn to the plant pot.

smoker

I like the authentic look of this, the perspective of the train is excellent. A very gritty image which works very well in sepia. I like your processing, it looks nostalgic.

bigmac

The composition is great here, the reflections, sun and distant detail all work really well together. i especially like the wisps of cloud in the top right.

Iain Hesford's Bait Box

Technically the best shot in the competition IMO. Perfect timing, perfect focus and tremendous adhoc composition. You're not even allowed to take photographs on the underground are you? utterly class. Also, your black and white conversion is excellent please post your secrets. Voted

chinamackem

I really like the motion blur in this, it sets the scene really well. This is a fun image and you have captured the moment really well.

Icarebecauseyoudo

This image makes me feel abit sick TBH, sick with envy. I could look at it for hours and still not be satisfied I have taken it all in. The scene, the reflection, the steam, the rays, the background.. holy shit this is a fantastically good photograph. Is this a conversion to black and white btw? Voted

paws

Wonderful location. The leading lines, the symmetry of the embankments and the excellent cloud formation are all spot on. You have clearly thought about this aswell, perfect for black and white: very impressive. Voted.

My Left Foot

I first saw this on Fliker. The refection and stillness make this image very easy to look at, and even slightly relaxing. Really impressed with how it looks in black and white.

The Great Soprendo

You can see the finger prints on this image! it took me a while to identify whay it was in the hand, went from tooth, to chewing gum, then finally arrived at sea snail. The woolens in this image will appeal to ICBYD.

oROSSo

I'm surprised you got all of it in from such an acute angle! I particularly like the cloud formation, it gives the angle a different scale and it works really well. Looks fantastic in black and white.

Amnorrageordie

I like the reflections running down the left and right of the car body. The contrast between the badges and the radiator grill are interesting. The detail in the radiator is very good also.

Me and the young un walked up through St James Park and i'm snapping everything in sight in colour and b&w knowing about the comp. and got right underneath the fucker and snapped away. wor kid telt me

I like the symmetry of this image, you have spent some time composing it and it has paid off. The detail in the masonry is very nice. Voted
Logon or register to see this image
the colour version. She really is a beautiful construction

Last edited by a moderator:
You know little my child, but you will learn ;)

Logon or register to see this image

I know absolutely nothing about photography marra but I just shoot every month and hope that my entry will be appreciated by just a few. To get 10 votes is way beyond my wildest dreams :cool::cry: I'm just Blue Square Premier League at best

Balls, missed the window to vote.

fwiw I would have gone for Steeed, IHBB and The Great Soprendo. Steeed's was my favourite of the month, would buy a print of that.

Genuinely could have made a case for every entry like, great standard this month boys and girls.

Congratulations to ICBYD - the best of a very good bunch.

Well done.

at last!

Thanks

Twice I've won ;) and both in black and white. And I never shoot black and white

Maybe I've been going wrong for the last twelve years :oops:

Good to see voters picked out two exceptional shots from Hesford and Steed

Thanks

Twice I've won ;) and both in black and white. And I never shoot black and white

Maybe I've been going wrong for the last twelve years :oops:

Good to see voters picked out two exceptional shots from Hesford and Steed

well done marra. Great moment caught ;):cool:

Well deserved, if i was into trains I would defo hang that on my wall.. but I'm not so I wont. :cool:

deserved winner, it's a very very nice picture.

Chuffed to bits with the votes I've picked up, in a really strong month.

All in camera old chum except the b&w conversion. :lol: Suspect a few people did those ;)

yes indeedy. My picture went nowhere near lightroom or photoshop. I did it all on the go with an iPad, snapseed. Believe it or not it was taken with my compact Sony HX5 - on full manual mode mind- that's how you avoid Underground security ;)

I will post the colour version later, it's more effective in b&w though

I'm torn with mine - the processed colour one of mine is just as effective IMHO.

Great month, great images.

Last edited by a moderator:
deserved winner, it's a very very nice picture.

Chuffed to bits with the votes I've picked up, in a really strong month.

yes indeedy. My picture went nowhere near lightroom or photoshop. I did it all on the go with an iPad, snapseed. Believe it or not it was taken with my compact Sony HX5 - on full manual mode mind- that's how you avoid Underground security ;)

I'm torn with mine - the processed colour one of mine is just as effective IMHO.

Great month, great images.

Yours was a beaut too mate. Throw the colour one up then...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back