Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.
did some sums, and it works out I can use my unidays account to get 20% off EE excluding any contract that has the annual upgrade option. So for 25Gb unlimited calls/texts it would come in at £53 per month for the 8+ 256GB with £79.99 up front which is really temping. £53 sounds a lot better than the £75-80 prices I was looking at, but i need to see if i use more than 25Gb regularly. I know I've hit my current 30GB a couple of times over the summer when I've been away in the caravan.

I love the 8 Plus, I was skeptical I think, other than the camera, but the main thing I have noticed is the battery. It is unreal compared to my 7 plus, I used to end the day on 10-15% but I'm on 60-70% with this...very strange, same usage (if not more cos of the current novelty!)

Go for it, that's a good price for the latest handset with a very good contract, even if you need to buy more data once/twice a year - still be worthwhile.

The camera is EXCELLENT, even better than the 7 Plus which was a fantastic camera (only the pixel beat it imo - I didn't rate the Galaxy S8 camera in comparison) but this one there is no question, unreal!

The negatives are, heavier, noticeably...boring look now compared to Samsung/OnePlus/iPhone X - that's it!

Edit. Maybe another positive; the radio. It’s holding a strong 4g signal in a place where it always dropped in/out of edge 3G and 4g...

Maybe another improvement. My 7 plus and Oneplus 3 sufferered bit this one (so far) seems stronger.

Last edited:

The negatives are, heavier, noticeably

30g heavier than my 6plus. Not a small amount, but I doubt it'll be a problem.

boring look now compared to Samsung/OnePlus/iPhone X - that's it!

i really couldn't care less about the look, it'll be going straight in a case anyway. I am really looking forward to having wireless charging with a stand on my desk and nightstand. I've always wanted to have a decent dock for both, but getting one that charges and has a phone in a case sit right has always been a bit of a bodge. I'll just need to do some research to which cases work fine with the charging.

The phone i really want is the X but with touch id under the glass. If they'd pulled that off I'd have spent the extra for it, but I'm not spending the extra for something I'm less enthusiastic about, even if the bigger screen and smaller body were appealing. I'll probably sell the 8 and get the second gen OLED iPhone this time next year if they figure out the touch id issue.

another kick in the teeth for apple :lol::lol:

The confidential source code to Apple's iBoot firmware in iPhones, iPads and other iOS devices has leaked into a public GitHub repo.

The closed-source code is top-secret, proprietary, copyright Apple, and yet has been quietly doing the rounds between security researchers and device jailbreakers on Reddit for four or so months, if not longer. Where exactly it came from, no one is sure for now.

Apple's top-secret iBoot firmware source code spills onto GitHub for some insane reason

another kick in the teeth for apple :lol::lol:

The confidential source code to Apple's iBoot firmware in iPhones, iPads and other iOS devices has leaked into a public GitHub repo.

The closed-source code is top-secret, proprietary, copyright Apple, and yet has been quietly doing the rounds between security researchers and device jailbreakers on Reddit for four or so months, if not longer. Where exactly it came from, no one is sure for now.

Apple's top-secret iBoot firmware source code spills onto GitHub for some insane reason

It is partial code, so wont compile due to missing files, for a version of iOS that had its last incremental update 18 months ago, two major releases ago. Hardly the end of the world, most of it wont be in iOS11. iOS 10 and 11 count for 93% of iOS devices now anyway.

It's like Microsoft releasing the source code for windows 95.

It is partial code, so wont compile due to missing files, for a version of iOS that had its last incremental update 18 months ago, two major releases ago. Hardly the end of the world, most of it wont be in iOS11. iOS 10 and 11 count for 93% of iOS devices now anyway.

Even then, if there are no exploits to be found then What does it matter?

The linux boot code has always been available. Being the boot code, it would probably only be useful for people rooting their devices, not for remote exploits.

There's not much (if any) Windows 95 code in Windows 10. They're architecturally completely different.

IOS will still have plenty of the leaked code in it. You can bet that organised ecrime has been pouring over every line, looking for vulnerabilities. It doesn't matter that you can't compile a complete OS from it.

All because of jail breaking, which is in turn all because of the walled garden.

There's not much (if any) Windows 95 code in Windows 10. They're architecturally completely different.

IOS will still have plenty of the leaked code in it. You can bet that organised ecrime has been pouring over every line, looking for vulnerabilities. It doesn't matter that you can't compile a complete OS from it.

All because of jail breaking, which is in turn all because of the walled garden.

All true, they are down playing the seriousness of it, but it’s very serious!

The jail breaking part because of the walled garden, same on both platforms. Android is becoming more like iOS each release, locking stuff down. So rooting is now required more than ever for people who want to tinker.

I’ve never been fussed with a jailbreak for years though tbh. Used to be desperate to have it, now there’s more than enough flexibility in iOS to mean a JB is definitely no longer required.

Ah, at least they haven't released a stupidly over priced speaker than stains any table is put on.

my phone has gone away for a repair, and I have borowed an I phone to keep me going
and I realize, that there is absolutely NOTHING I miss about apple in any way, shape, or form ! android software is way, way superior
however, life is all about opinions........

All true, they are down playing the seriousness of it, but it’s very serious!

The jail breaking part because of the walled garden, same on both platforms. Android is becoming more like iOS each release, locking stuff down. So rooting is now required more than ever for people who want to tinker.

I’ve never been fussed with a jailbreak for years though tbh. Used to be desperate to have it, now there’s more than enough flexibility in iOS to mean a JB is definitely no longer required.

Same. I think IOS6 was the last version I jailbroke and when I couldn't use certain apps because my phone was jailbroken I kicked it into touch.

Ah, at least they haven't released a stupidly over priced speaker than stains any table is put on.

The speaker gets very good reviews mind... (Siri is still shit compared to Alexa and Google home)

Staingate is a huge fuss over nowt IMO - lets see how it pans out! :lol:

my phone has gone away for a repair, and I have borowed an I phone to keep me going
and I realize, that there is absolutely NOTHING I miss about apple in any way, shape, or form ! android software is way, way superior
however, life is all about opinions........

Hope your phone gets lost in the post :lol:;)

If only you had a shop like Apple to pop in and get the repair done while you wait!

Same. I think IOS6 was the last version I jailbroke and when I couldn't use certain apps because my phone was jailbroken I kicked it into touch.

Probably about the same for me.

Used to need it, but now there is nothing I can't do with it to make me need a jailbreak.

The speaker gets very good reviews mind... (Siri is still shit compared to Alexa and Google home)

Staingate is a huge fuss over nowt IMO - lets see how it pans out! :lol:

Hope your phone gets lost in the post :lol:;)

If only you had a shop like Apple to pop in and get the repair done while you wait!

Probably about the same for me.

Used to need it, but now there is nothing I can't do with it to make me need a jailbreak.

ha :lol: apples repairs are second to none, I agree mate
mind gear best have been spot on with me up to now, I hope they come good in the end, of course :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back