Anyone recommend a roofer

I think everyone who’s registered with hmrc should be VAT reg. get shot of the shite
You mean just the building game or businesses in general ? VAT can be very unfair for certain businesses.
I’d prefer to deal with someone who is VAT registered, even if it’s marginal whether they should be or not. Otherwise they’re marking up on the Gross for all materials.
But just because your not VAT registered doesn't necessarily make you a bad tradesman like some are hinting at. I was self employed for 25 years from 91-16 and never registered for VAT, I did not fiddle either to keep turnover down, my turnover just never reached the threshold.

Last edited:
You mean just the building game or businesses in general ? VAT can be very unfair for certain businesses.

But just because your not VAT registered doesn't necessarily make you a bad tradesman like some are hinting at. I was self employed for 25 years from 91-16 and never registered for VAT, I did not fiddle either to keep turnover down, my turnover just never reached the threshold.
Building game

It’ll come I think

I’m not implying that at all. It was more to do with how VAT is paid and reclaimed and the effect it can have on lower value quotes for building work. In some ways, you were starting out at a disadvantage compared to those who could claim it back against the materials.

Jeez. I thought what he did to my wall ties was criminal…

For context: currently spending a mid-sized fortune having a proper structural builder sort out loads of with our house, including crappy wall ties installed by a certain local firm he keeps calling cowboys. One lesson I’ve learned the hard way: don’t get a roofing-turned-general-building-company let them persuade you that they can manage any maintenance of an old property.

Back