Anyone own an electric car?

I think I’ll get another 3-4 years out of my xc60 the. I’ll be moving onto the Xc90 T8 hybrid. Can’t see us moving onto pure electric until they are capable of towing our caravan

I agree. Don't understand why more aren't doing plug in hybrid + diesel combo.

It’s all about the environmental impact, attaching it to a dirty Diesel engine goes against that. I agree with you, for me a diesel/electric hybrid would be ideal, preferably diesel front wheel electric rear wheel.

Last edited:
I drive one - and will never go back to an ICE. Better, more fun to drive, cheaper to run, and doing my bit for the environment too :) (tbf my wife drives a range rover, so ying and yang and all that). I'm lucky enough to have a tesla, but we are looking at mid size for the wife's next one (model 3, the Kia etc)

The leaf is an outstanding car, looks good, big enough to compete with the focus, 3 series etc for a family of 4. The days of the diesal/petrol engine are limited.
:lol:

All well and good when you can afford a Tesla like. For most people at the minute the electric cars they can get are still not up to scratch.

Obviously the days of petrol and diesel are limited, not exactly a bold prediction there mate ;) Let's just hope the technology has caught up and come down in price sufficiently by then.

For now I still prefer my oil burner.

(Also, is it still true that the production of batteries etc. is much worse for the environment than our old school cars anyway?)

I would buy one tomorrow of my job was different as I can do over 300+ miles in one day but if I get the promotion I'm after I won't be doing as many miles. The Tesla model 3 is £38k with the government discount so in the same price bracket as the Audi A6 or the equivalent Mercedes. The previous owner of my house had the charge point fitted and with my solar panels it makes sense to me. Be very very cheap to run Vs diesel power....

Not normally included in the price. Just contact an electrician to install one. Not expensive.
I thought they were about £500?

And isn’t it worth getting solar panels so the leccy doesn’t cost you a fortune anarl?

Been thinking about how we’d get one but the range isn’t quite there for us yet. Maybe in a few years.

Bought a Zoe for our lass last year & to be honest I've been very impressed with it, so much so that I'd consider going down the electric route myself, with the government grant & a scrappage scheme there are some good deals, new Tesla looks cracking as well
I thought the grant had been withdrawn now?

I doubt the batteries will last longer than 4 years before they start dropping from 20% charge to empty in five mins , just like my mobile phone did. Luckily a new battery was only £15 - a tad more for a car!
Mine is three years old, done 38000 miles and still has 98% of original capacity. But I'm sure you're right

Depends what you do, Mrs drives around the doors & we have my car to do long journeys, looked at all the pros & cons & it looks ideal, no need for a hybrid
That's what we do. 8000 miles since January, mainly running the kids around. Range of 120 miles never been an issue. charge it overnight and it even warms itself up for the school run on cold winter days. Great fun to drive, really quiet. would never go back to ICE for local stuff

Last edited:
I thought they were about £500?

And isn’t it worth getting solar panels so the leccy doesn’t cost you a fortune anarl?

Been thinking about how we’d get one but the range isn’t quite there for us yet. Maybe in a few years.

I thought the grant had been withdrawn now?
It's still in place but it dropped from £4.5k to £3.5k I believe

...And isn’t it worth getting solar panels so the leccy doesn’t cost you a fortune anarl?

Been thinking about how we’d get one but the range isn’t quite there for us yet. Maybe in a few years....

maybe in a few years you can just cut out the middle man and go straight for a car that runs on solar panels? ;)

A new rival to Tesla... Lightyear (based in Helmond near Eindhoven), although initially one of these will set you back around 120k :eek:
The top designer at BMW (Klaus Fröhlich) is currently getting all hot and bothered about this solar panel car designed by Dutch company called Lightyear that can get up to 725km in a day just from solar panels! … This Lightyear vehicle was launched on Monday (see link although in Dutch language, but with a video) and has been designed by engineers from/working at Eindhoven Technical University (who also won this years World Solar Challenge race in Australia), Philips, and other tech companies based in or around the Eindhoven Tech and Innovation Hub … Their first 100 are already reserved, hope to release 500 by 2021...

Privacy settings

also found one English language vid

Lightyear One, solar car from Helmond, catches its first sunbeams

Last edited:
Plug in hybrid for me at the moment which is ideal for my job, 20-30 miles back and forth between patient houses and the hospital with very little motorway driving. Some months can average over 500mpg.
There aren't enough charging points to consider going fully electric as a main car just yet.

I would buy one tomorrow of my job was different as I can do over 300+ miles in one day but if I get the promotion I'm after I won't be doing as many miles. The Tesla model 3 is £38k with the government discount so in the same price bracket as the Audi A6 or the equivalent Mercedes. The previous owner of my house had the charge point fitted and with my solar panels it makes sense to me. Be very very cheap to run Vs diesel power....

The trouble with that is you’ll likely be out at work when your solar panels are generating power, that’s why Tesla made the home battery packs.

It is something I’m keeping an eye on but not likely to buy any time soon. The wife has a focus and it never goes very far as she works from home. It is only used for the occasional trip out, 40 mile round trip at most. In many ways that is the ideal case for an electric car. But, it has long since been paid for, low tax, low insurance, not much to service with the low miles. Even with petrol costs it does not cost us much per year so we have no motivation to replace it with any car.

I have a galaxy that we use for long trips (330 miles to my mams is a regular), and I need the size because we do camping and kayaking holidays. I have not seen an electric car with that sort of range and carrying capacity. Certainly not that range with the weight too. It will happen but not yet, but by then hopefully self drive will be making an impact.

At the minute I cycle to work most days so we have considered getting rid of a car, but in the winter both do come in useful.

It is something I’m keeping an eye on but not likely to buy any time soon. The wife has a focus and it never goes very far as she works from home. It is only used for the occasional trip out, 40 mile round trip at most. In many ways that is the ideal case for an electric car. But, it has long since been paid for, low tax, low insurance, not much to service with the low miles. Even with petrol costs it does not cost us much per year so we have no motivation to replace it with any car.

I have a galaxy that we use for long trips (330 miles to my mams is a regular), and I need the size because we do camping and kayaking holidays. I have not seen an electric car with that sort of range and carrying capacity. Certainly not that range with the weight too. It will happen but not yet, but by then hopefully self drive will be making an impact.

At the minute I cycle to work most days so we have considered getting rid of a car, but in the winter both do come in useful.

Why not look at short term leasing for the winter months and rent a car for your camping/kayaking jollies?

Technology is moving very quickly with pure electrics and hybrids. Nissan are expecting the cost to build coming down significantly in the next five years as production volumes go up. You’ll find the choice of cars offering Diesel engines across all companies vastly reduced if offered at all in the coming years. The EU cafe regulations will affect the UK regardless of brexit.

The trouble with that is you’ll likely be out at work when your solar panels are generating power, that’s why Tesla made the home battery packs.
I will be working from home around 3 days a week if I get the job so that will be enough for the amount of charges a week the car would need charging. And weekend use also...

Why not look at short term leasing for the winter months and rent a car for your camping/kayaking jollies?
Could do, but I suspect it would be more expensive than buying second hand and keeping for many years.

Besides, my galaxy comes in handy when buying DIY stuff, going to the tip or we loaned someone a single bed the other day and just put it in the boot. When we do need to replace one, leasing an electric car for a year might not be a bad way to assess if they are any good.

Not normally included in the price. Just contact an electrician to install one. Not expensive.
If you buy new the dealership will arrange a free charge point - Nissan done that with the Leaf that the Mrs has bought. There are also good deals with energy companies who have EV tarriffs and give cheap overnight electricity.

Last edited:
If you buy new the dealership will arrange a free charge point - Nissan done that with the Leaf that the Mrs has bought. There are also good deals with energy companies who have EV tarriffs and give cheap overnight electricity.
Yeah, they’re specific manufacturer deals.

Not all will do that, great if they do arrange it free. You’ll be paying for it somewhere though.

Back