Anyone on here keep ducks for eggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveH

Striker
We have been considering on and off keeping ducks for eggs, has anyone done that?

How many have you got and how much space do they take? We were thinking of getting 3 or 4.

The wife has been put off by chickens as their scratching has killed off all the grass in the neighbours run and it is not a particularly nice part of the garden. Ducks seem less messy. The bit I have in mind is close to our pond. A number of guides online have people giving the ducks a big water tray in a run. I was going to do that, but if we are out in the garden, let them out into the pond area. Are they likely to do much damage around the pond?

What are the good and bad points of keeping them?

We have been considering on and off keeping ducks for eggs, has anyone done that?

How many have you got and how much space do they take? We were thinking of getting 3 or 4.

The wife has been put off by chickens as their scratching has killed off all the grass in the neighbours run and it is not a particularly nice part of the garden. Ducks seem less messy. The bit I have in mind is close to our pond. A number of guides online have people giving the ducks a big water tray in a run. I was going to do that, but if we are out in the garden, let them out into the pond area. Are they likely to do much damage around the pond?

What are the good and bad points of keeping them?
They keep peeking (and pecking).

I love duck eggs. Especially poached. They are a bit of a bugger to get sometimes as Morrisons don't stock them anymore. But I hope that you will keep them under the correct conditions. Sorry I can't help with what they are exactly!

Good thing he's got a pond then
Fair enough. I didn't realise he was Lord Lambton.

I love duck eggs. Especially poached. They are a bit of a bugger to get sometimes as Morrisons don't stock them anymore. But I hope that you will keep them under the correct conditions. Sorry I can't help with what they are exactly!
I've never even had one. Are they just like normal eggs but bigger?

I use those Poachies things. Never failed yet. And on a thick cut slice of toast they are total heaven. If you like a big yolk definitely give them a go.
I dunno what a Poachie is but I'll investigate. I use one of them pans with 4 non stick cups. For some reason it takes EXACTLY 5 mins (not 4:59 or 5:01) for the perfect poached egg, no matter what size of egg I use. Let's see if it works for ducks.

I dunno what a Poachie is but I'll investigate. I use one of them pans with 4 non stick cups. For some reason it takes EXACTLY 5 mins (not 4:59 or 5:01) for the perfect poached egg, no matter what size of egg I use. Let's see if it works for ducks.
Poachies bags work for me. I've tried the pans and the rubber floaty ones but these bags work the best as there's no 'taste' of anything else and no washing up . I'm always posting this on here. :lol: John Lewis and some supermarkets do them but I get mine online via Amazon.
Logon or register to see this image

Poachies bags work for me. I've tried the pans and the rubber floaty ones but these bags work the best as there's no 'taste' of anything else and no washing up . I'm always posting this on here. :lol: John Lewis and some supermarkets do them but I get mine online via Amazon.
Logon or register to see this image
Cheers I'll get me ma to pick some up tomorrow. Added bonus is that she'll think I'm looking after myself properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back