Anyone on here keep ducks for eggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cousins had Indian runners and I seem to remember the ground where they lived was a constant bog, so not sure they are cleaner than chickens

To persuade the missus, I might pick up some duck eggs at a local farm shop. Do her poached egg on toast, one chicken and one duck to see what the difference is.

I just do poached eggs straight into the water. Do it about 1" deep in a frying pan and bring to the boil, then turn down to the lowest simmer to carefully break the eggs in. Leave it low for about a minute until the egg starts to form some sort of cooked shape then bring it back up to the boil. If you have it bubbling away like mad then the eggs just break apart in the water.

We have been considering on and off keeping ducks for eggs, has anyone done that?

How many have you got and how much space do they take? We were thinking of getting 3 or 4.

The wife has been put off by chickens as their scratching has killed off all the grass in the neighbours run and it is not a particularly nice part of the garden. Ducks seem less messy. The bit I have in mind is close to our pond. A number of guides online have people giving the ducks a big water tray in a run. I was going to do that, but if we are out in the garden, let them out into the pond area. Are they likely to do much damage around the pond?

What are the good and bad points of keeping them?

You will end up going Quackers mate

My missus has some on her allotment. Keeping ducks is as messy as fuck
They eat all the grass, and if there's a pond involved, the area around it is like a bog

Just saying like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back