Anyone know owt about Compact Cameras?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the WB600 model (the predecessor to this one) and I can't fault it. I did a lot of searching around the internet before I decided on the Sammy, if you want a good zoom they don't come any better for the price and this is very cheap for what you are getting. It's zoom is better than the Lumix, the video its probably slightly worse. Those were the conclusions I came across when I read about the previous models.

www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-WB700-Digi...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1319835627&sr=1-1

Had a few Ixus over the years, they're excellent.

I used Nikon for SLRs, but wouldn't look beyond Canon or Lumix for affordable compacts.

I am in the lumix camp

I have a tz compact an FZ35 bridge and am getting a gf3 for chrimbo hopefully

always liked them

i agree, had a couple of fuji's over the years and loved them, it was the s5700 fuji bridge camera that made me wanna take photography more seriously.

i agree, had a couple of fuji's over the years and loved them, it was the s5700 fuji bridge camera that made me wanna take photography more seriously.

I was always intrigued by these cameras that could only take bridges. Imagined if you tried taking other things with them

Been trying to find the time to look into this again, and came across this:

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX7V

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/compact-digital-cameras/sony-cyber-shot-dsc-hx7v-review-50005021/

£190 on Amazon. Its the only 5* rated compact camera on CNET (which is a site I've trusted for years).

Any thoughts?

Also noticed it has a big brother, Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V for £240. Sounds very similar but with a slightly better lens - does it seem worth the extra money?

Remember - Im after:

1 - Great image quality, especially in low light
2 - Good Zoom
3 - Something that is ready to take a photo quickly from turning it on, then quick to take the next one

Also looking at this:

Canon IXUS 230HS for about £200.

I think canon point and shoots are great. Take a look at my pics on the Dubai thread below. They are from a canon p&s.

If I were you I'd compromise on the zoom as it will affect the image quality. Take a look at the high end compacts as an example. Very few are 'super-zooms'

I think canon point and shoots are great. Take a look at my pics on the Dubai thread below. They are from a canon p&s.

If I were you I'd compromise on the zoom as it will affect the image quality. Take a look at the high end compacts as an example. Very few are 'super-zooms'

8X is perfectly enough, I've got 3X at the moment, so I'll be laughing at 8, 10 or even the 16 on that HX9!

Like I said above, I want the best camera for the "wants" listed above.

I'd have gone with the Lumix recommendations - although I think the video results (fantastic audio too) are a lot better than the photos - BUT ours has just gone the way that a Googling reveals a LOT have gone - the display is completely knackered. The LCDs are apparently prone to cracking INTERNALLY, despite lots of TLC, and Panasonic have abdicated all responsibility. Repair is something like £150 (on a slightly sub-£200 camera!) though there is apparently a video on Youtube showing how to replace the LCD with a £39 3rd party job from Ebay. Sounds scary, but we'll have to have a go.

I can confirm that, mine went the same way

I did the fix myself with a screen from eBay - the seller was called alimobile it was less than £20 for mine including the tools for the job and postage and it looks like he is still selling that sort of thing

So what do people think about that Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX7V or 9V?

They look mega packed with features. But are they any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back