Anyone know owt about Compact Cameras?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTR

Striker
I know bugger all, but its time to buy a new one.

Needs to have a decent zoom, and something that gets very good picture quality.

Also want something that works in low light, and something that doesn't take an age between clicking the button and the photo being taken (Key Requirement!)

Not too sure about other features - will let others suggest useful things (stabilising? scene recognition? etc)

No budget - but as always, value for money is always on the agenda.

Canon Ixus are a great model. Have a skwy on some digital camera review sites and see what's coming out on top.

The problem with taking an age to take a pic is that most will auto focus when you press the button, which is what takes so long.

Anyone?

Canon Ixus are a great model. Have a skwy on some digital camera review sites and see what's coming out on top.

The problem with taking an age to take a pic is that most will auto focus when you press the button, which is what takes so long.

Never thought of that.

There's the time to recharge the flash anarl, I guess? Or am I in 1982 with that comment?

Hmm, I'm reading more and more about anything over about 10 MP being an issue, as its just creates noise.

8MP sounds like the sweet spot. I noticed one camera does some jiggery pokery with taking 2 images at once at 8MP, and blends them somehow.

Odd.

The Canon S95 is the best compact on the market. But depending on budget the Pana Lumix range are good, as are Fuji compacts.

Canon Ixus are a great model.

I've used these for years and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

There's probably cameras with better lenses - such as the Lumix - but this is the best all-round package I've come across for under £200. The colours seem to come out better than the Lumix as well, and the battery life is superb.

If the delay between the button press and photo being taken is your main concern (shutter lag), then you should consider an SLR. Have a look at the photo forum, clyde posted a link on there earlier for a one for £250.

Alternatively, the Lumix range are excellent. If you just want a really, really good quality compact, the Canon S95 is probably the best currently available - I ordered one earlier this week.

Hmm, I'm reading more and more about anything over about 10 MP being an issue, as its just creates noise.

8MP sounds like the sweet spot. I noticed one camera does some jiggery pokery with taking 2 images at once at 8MP, and blends them somehow.

Odd.

The pixel count of the sensor has nothing to do with noise. Noise is introduced by shooting in low light conditions with a camera which tries to compensate by adding gain to the shot.

All the latest Fuji compacts have a low light setting which avoids this by having a long exposure to register a dark background with a brief flash release at the very end of the exposure to illuminate close objects correctly. It works very well.

PTR said:

Odd.

High MP plus a poor sensor creates noise. As long as you buy a quality camera, MP is pretty much irrelevant.

I have a pro grade DSLR that produces images big enough for billboards, and it's only 12.4MP. Some phones have more than that.

I've had a few in my time and have to admit my Panasonic lumix is the one that's impressed me most. I bought one after quite a lot of recommendations.

Biggest tip is to go for a good make. Some cheaper cameras claim the world but don't work smoothly.

As long as the sensor isn't too small to cope with all of the megapixels then more mp's shouldn't mean worse low light performance. If that makes sense.

I'd have gone with the Lumix recommendations - although I think the video results (fantastic audio too) are a lot better than the photos - BUT ours has just gone the way that a Googling reveals a LOT have gone - the display is completely knackered. The LCDs are apparently prone to cracking INTERNALLY, despite lots of TLC, and Panasonic have abdicated all responsibility. Repair is something like £150 (on a slightly sub-£200 camera!) though there is apparently a video on Youtube showing how to replace the LCD with a £39 3rd party job from Ebay. Sounds scary, but we'll have to have a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back