Anyone else like to go to matches when they are away?

Years ago I went to watch Benidorm play their last game of the season.

A win would guarantee promotion and they were 1-0 up for most of the game.

A perfectly reasonable equaliser resulted in a minor riot. The linesman at the opposite end of the pitch was punched, even though he had nothing to do with the goal.

It was quite intimidating leaving the ground even though we were neutrals and holidaymakers

When I used to go to Melbourne with my ex to visit family I always used to go to the Melbourne Victory games. Was cheap as anything to get in, could drink in the stands and the concessions were really cheap too.
Also was lucky enough at one time to have the women play before the men (same ticket at $22 each) which made it well worth the money.

Been to
Racing Santander v Levante
Bayern Munich v Karlsruhe
Barcelona v Bayern Munich
Ajax v Vitesse Arnheim
PSG v Monaco

Took the nephew to Barcelona for his 16th birthday and we went to see Espanyol v Fiorentina in a pre season friendly, excellent evening. Watching football in the warmth was a lovely experience.

Not away as such but I was up in Glasgow yesterday and decided to go and watch Rangers ladies vs Glasgow City ladies at Cumbernauld Colts' ground! It was a great game.

Was working in Central America and watched Belize v Brazil, circa 1988, taped ‘Brazil, Brits on Tour’ to a bedsheet. Wasn’t a full cap international but a couple of known Brazilians playing, Brazil won 1-0 and Belize missed a pen, I reenacted the penalty miss on the track round the ground, I thought this was a funny thing to do, the locals disagreed and one through a bicycle from the stand at me 😳, was a fab day and night 👍

Me and a couple of mates go away once a year to see a match and take in the city. Been doing it 20 years so seen loads of big teams and great cities. A few shit ones too.

I eventually won my campaign to go to Istanbul this year when the fixture list chucked up Galatasaray Fenerbache at the start of may. Then some daft bastard president punched a ref, got the league suspended and they've shifted all the fixtures back by one week 😭

Same - done Dortmund, Hamburg, Malaga, Porto, Lisbon to name a few. I have suggested Istanbul year - I have been to a Besiktas game before. Class.
Years ago went to see St. Pauli v Kaiserslautern in December.
I have never been so cold in my life.
First time I ever saw fans rattling keys at each other.
The St.Pauli club bar was great, but never wanted to see a match in Germany in winter since.

Went to a Hamburg game in end Jan - coldest I have ever been at a game. We switched to Spain/Portugal since then.

Last edited:
Not anything as mental as OP but been to a few on stag dos - Benfica and Prague.

Was in Madrid for the derby with Atletico last year and managed to get a ticket. Thought it might be a weird experience going on my own but it was class.

The times of Spanish games seem to change closer to the event as well so you can never be certain
The madrid derby last September? Where Atletico won 3-1... I was there too, incredible experience

Same - done Dortmund, Hamburg, Malaga, Porto, Lisbon to name a few. I have suggested Istanbul year - I have been to a Besiktas game before. Class.

Went to a Hamburg game in end Jan - coldest I have ever been at a game. We switched to Spain/Portugal since then.
We used to do winter trips until Munich in late November. Next trip was Prague in April and we've never been away in the winter again 😎

Twice went to the Marracana in 2004.First time was Fluminese v Sao Paulo and the second was Flemengo v Botafoga.The first one was a bit tame(I managed to get in with there "flag boys" and had my photo taken wearing my Sunderland top waving a geed big flag)🤣The second one was a bit tasty with it being a bit of a local derby,with a few scraps outside,flares being used as ballistic missile inside the ground and supporters generally left to get on with it all!!! The maracana at this time was a right dump with big chunks of masonry lying everywhere behind the terraces and a general air of terminal neglect around the place.One thing that I was in awe of however was the sheer scale of the place,it was massive!!!!!

when i worked in a yard just outside Rotterdam i went to a few Feyenoord games with there
supporters. one of them ( good friend of mine ) regular had a spare ticket

Last time I visited my brother house in Cirencester, I went to watch him play. Canny game, Bees Knees 3 - 2 Black Horse. Only.about 15 in attendance though
😂

Was away at the weekend in Scotland and in the airport before leaving it got me thinking about what leagues play in the summer months? Im sure one of the Scandinavian nations does, I know Ireland does too. Are there any others in Europe?

Back