Anyone else like to go to matches when they are away?

Been to a few games across four different European countries. I always try and take a match in when travelling with the family in Europe. It’s quite often pot luck as to whether there’s a game nearby as the holidays are booked in advance of the fixtures, but there is usually one a short train ride away. I’ll be in Germany and Belgium late summer so hopefully will take in another one - haven’t done Belgium yet so aiming for one there.

For me it’s all part of European culture and the City you are visiting, also the games have been very different in each country. Highlight was probably seeing Bayer Leverkusen win 5-1 back in October. Only bought the tickets the day before when staying in Cologne and realising how close by Leverkusen was. The football was incredible to watch and they are now champions and still unbeaten all season - a real one to remember.

Not anything as mental as OP but been to a few on stag dos - Benfica and Prague.

Was in Madrid for the derby with Atletico last year and managed to get a ticket. Thought it might be a weird experience going on my own but it was class.

The times of Spanish games seem to change closer to the event as well so you can never be certain

That is for TV and most of the the big clubs can be all over the place.

I got caught with that in Barcelona a few years ago I flew in on the Sunday and there game had been moved back to the Saturday so I ended up going to see Badalonia who were then a side in their own right playing in the Spanish equivalent of League 1

Was lucky enough to attend Godoy Cruz vs. Sarmiento in the Argentine Primera División last Monday.
Was pretty nuts, hooliganism outside (you could see over the top of the bowl), I got some videos of stone chucking and riot police firing rubber bullets. Then place was covered in flares and smoke after Godoy won. Was an incredible atmosphere (unrelated to the fighting, which was all outside), whichever mad considering there was probably only about 10-15000 there, half the stadium was closed off. I was sat with the Bovril (equivalent, they had Mate) brigade.
I also feel we should sign Tomás Badaloni, 23 yr old striker, got four in seven starts so far. And that Ferreyra who was at the mags came off the bench for Sarmiento.

But yeah as the title- who trys to go and see a local game when they are away? And which ones are your highlights?
I always wanted to go to Leyton orient for some reason

Went to Malaga v Granada, a good few years ago when Malaga were doing well in La Liga. 4 - 1 I think, Willy (sorry can’t spell surname) came to City as 2nd goalkeeper, saved a penalty for Malaga, DeMichaelis (also went to City) was playing. Great atmosphere. I think it was the next season Malaga were in the semi-final of the Champions League and got knocked out by Borussia Dortmun, unluckily, over the two legs We were right up in the gods behind one of the goals, if you sat forward a couple of inches you’d fall through the crowd for about 100 feet. Alcohol on sale that could be taken to your seat. Been a couple of time since and no alcohol on sale. Malaga are now 4th in what is a regional 3rd division (like our old Division 3 north and south) and should make the play offs. Sitting in a warm sunlit stadium is a bit different from the draughty SOL.

Would have gone if either of the Funchal teams were playing at home last week, but alas one played on the Friday night before we got there and the other played on the Sunday after we left!

Went to a UD Lanzarote match a few years back. Was good fun. My daughter was asked to be a mascot and was on the pitch holding hands with a Spanish footballer. I was jealous of her like.
Don’t walk TOO the Nacional stadium. Walking down from its lovely.

Don’t walk TOO the Nacional stadium. Walking down from its lovely.
I went to see Nacional in January (got the bus!) and ended up sitting next to a Sunderland fan (well, the daughter of a Sunderland fan).

However, it's that far up the mountain and there was low-level cloud and I couldn't see either goal from the halfway line. They delayed kick-off hoping it would lift and kept us in for well over an hour before they decided to knock it on the head and try again that evening (which I couldn't make).

It was the same day as our cup tie against Newcastle which I luckily couldn't find on any TVs in the area.

Was in Athens the other year so took my girlfriend to Olympiacos vs AEK Athens. Was a bit different to the dour League 1 games under Parky she had seen beforehand!

I always wanted to go to Leyton orient for some reason
Not been for about 14 yrs now. I was very tempted by one of the flats in the corners. They’ve balconies overlooking the pitch. Watched loadsa games there. Very rarely anyone on the balcony watching though. The crowd used to shout “you tight bastard, you tight bastard” at them.
First game there was midweek v Swansea. Molby player manager for Swansea. Iirc there was six with SAFC connections there. Pascoe, Cornforth etc Plus Westy player coach at Orient. West wanted to fight the main stand after one too many bits of abuse…Molby was dragging him away.

Went to a few games v Darlo. In one Hodgson was gaffer and Marco and an ex SAFC centre forward played. Orient were 1-0 down and got a free kick just outside the box on final whistle. Matt Lockwood a very good LB before some intestinal surgery iirc hampered it stood over the ball.
On the terrace behind the other goal In a group of lads by me one shouted he’d do a streak if they scored. Bang! Around the wall and in the back of the net it went. Place went nuts it was as good a goal as I’ve ever seen. The lad ran away down the stairs. Everyone thought he’d ran away to avoid streaking. While the celebrations were calming down he suddenly reappeared up the stairs and sprinted the full width of the stand and down the other stairs wearing nowt but trainers and socks!
I went to see Nacional in January (got the bus!) and ended up sitting next to a Sunderland fan (well, the daughter of a Sunderland fan).

However, it's that far up the mountain and there was low-level cloud and I couldn't see either goal from the halfway line. They delayed kick-off hoping it would lift and kept us in for well over an hour before they decided to knock it on the head and try again that evening (which I couldn't make).

It was the same day as our cup tie against Newcastle which I luckily couldn't find on any TVs in the area.
We got a taxi up. It’s in a mad place.

Last edited:
Not been for about 14 yrs now. I was very tempted by one of the flats in the corners. They’ve balconies overlooking the pitch. Watched loadsa games there. Very rarely anyone on the balcony watching though. The crowd used to shout “you tight bastard, you tight bastard” at them.
First game there was midweek v Swansea. Molby player manager for Swansea. Iirc there was six with SAFC connections there. Pascoe, Cornforth etc Plus Westy player coach at Orient. West wanted to fight the main stand after one too many bits of abuse…Molby was dragging him away.

Went to a few games v Darlo. In one Hodgson was gaffer and Marco and an ex SAFC centre forward played. Orient were 1-0 down and got a free kick just outside the box on final whistle. Matt Lockwood a very good LB before some intestinal surgery iirc hampered it stood over the ball.
On the terrace behind the other goal In a group of lads by me one shouted he’d do a streak if they scored. Bang! Around the wall and in the back of the net it went. Place went nuts it was as good a goal as I’ve ever seen. The lad ran away down the stairs. Everyone thought he’d ran away to avoid streaking. While the celebrations were calming down he suddenly reappeared up the stairs and sprinted the full width of the stand and down the other stairs wearing nowt but trainers and socks!

We got a taxi up. It’s in a mad place.
Went a couple of times at 16 and was dragged by mates who had season tickets at the time. Sean Thornton played for them and then could be seen on the high street near us with another Irish player sinking copious amounts of Guinness and smoking fags.

Went once and got sat next to some loud mouth Geordie twat and his dad. The lad must have been about the same age but kept calling Thornton a Mackem bastard despite being sat there in an Orient shirt. I’m sure the dad posts on here as well, Spennymoor and Mag fan?

Drove for 3 hours, to watch 0-0 draw in a pre season friendly between Dijon and Sochaux, when we were camping in western France. Our lass wasn’t too impressed.

Definitely, when we were in holiday in Dawlish last year we went to Exeter v Coventry pre-season freindly. Gave Ellis Simms a good booooooooooooing.

Was lucky enough to attend Godoy Cruz vs. Sarmiento in the Argentine Primera División last Monday.
Was pretty nuts, hooliganism outside (you could see over the top of the bowl), I got some videos of stone chucking and riot police firing rubber bullets. Then place was covered in flares and smoke after Godoy won. Was an incredible atmosphere (unrelated to the fighting, which was all outside), whichever mad considering there was probably only about 10-15000 there, half the stadium was closed off. I was sat with the Bovril (equivalent, they had Mate) brigade.
I also feel we should sign Tomás Badaloni, 23 yr old striker, got four in seven starts so far. And that Ferreyra who was at the mags came off the bench for Sarmiento.

But yeah as the title- who trys to go and see a local game when they are away? And which ones are your highlights?
Nope !its Sunderland and England..Footballs tedious to watch if you dont have emotional skin in the game !

Went to the Real Murcia v UCAM Murcia Derby the other year, it was a cracking atmosphere and game. Worth the train trip inland if you're anywhere near on holiday.

Guimares v Braga was decent as well, good atmosphere (I think it was a derby of sorts?)

The best ones were in Germany though Koln v Dortmund and Koln v Shalke. Never saw any trouble at either but the atmosphere is always good, as plenty have said on here get to Koln/Dusseldorf area and you've got choice of about six big clubs to see

Went a couple of times at 16 and was dragged by mates who had season tickets at the time. Sean Thornton played for them and then could be seen on the high street near us with another Irish player sinking copious amounts of Guinness and smoking fags.

Went once and got sat next to some loud mouth Geordie twat and his dad. The lad must have been about the same age but kept calling Thornton a Mackem bastard despite being sat there in an Orient shirt. I’m sure the dad posts on here as well, Spennymoor and Mag fan?
My marra used to go in the company of two mags back when the pubs shut at three. Frank Clark was gaffer and the mags knew him. 20 mins to go it’s 0-0 and the worst game any of them had ever seen. Everyone around was grumbling and wondering wtf are we doing here? My mate reckoned it was McMenemyesque in its crap ness.
It’s deathly silent and even whingers can’t be arsed to whinge. Mag pipes up “Clarkey? Shall I bring me boots next week?”. Whole stand cracks up. Clarke turned round, nods and give them the thumbs up. Board weren’t happy they found out later.

Done a fair few over the years while on holiday.

Viktoria Zizkov
Malaga
Valencia
Real Betis
Levante
Cracovia
Pilzen
Zakynthos
Crusaders
Motorlet Prague

Probably missed a few of that list. Done a whole lot more on proper planned footy trips with the lads but these were the ones I just did while on a holiday. Going to Lisbon in August for 5 days so hoping to get to either Benfica or Sporting then.

I went to Hajduk Split v Stromsgodset in the Europa League qualifying back in 2015 when I was over there for the Split Dog Shows. I'd flown over so didn't have any dogs with me, so watched the match and then went to the dog show after (the show doesn't start until around 5pm and finishes around 3 in the morning due to the heat for the dogs).

Whenever I'm away with family or work I'll get one in. More enjoyable when the family are with me however.

This season seen Real Mallorca vs Villareal, PSG vs the mags (cracking end to the game) and (look at me) Man City vs Real Madrid this coming Wednesday.

Watch, it will end 0-0. Champions league games are always special and give you the shivers.

Back