Any gaming experts…

Need it by 8th April. He was adamant he could build it himself but I said no way I’m buying parts for him to fuck it up. Someone at my work builds pc’s so I could get him to do it if I got the parts but like the idea of pre-built for warranty etc
The warranty aspect is slight bonus as you wouldn’t have to work out what component was goosed, they’d just diagnose it themselves, the quality of service varies though and they may have the computer for a while.

I’d have one built personally, more control over what goes in and significantly better value for money, especially NZXT. There are other builds I’ve seen where the cost compared to buying the parts individually is sometimes (rarely) lower but usually £50-£100.

Gimme a shout if you need help choosing and building it.
Got me thinking there - quick check on Scan

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X £215
4070TI £730
32GB 3200 DDR4 £100
1TB NVMe £55
B550 £96
750W gold £80
h5 Elite case £100
NZXT Kraken 240 £160

Total £1536
RRP £1899 = £363 difference, 24% markup

Not dreadful tbh
But its definitely now how I'd spend £1900 as things like the RAM, PSU, Motherboard are all "unknowns" And as per my earlier question, what does the kid actually want to play on? Could go much much cheaper if the plan is a 1080p 60hz monitor for example. With an upgrade to 1440p 144hz and a better GPU in 2 years time.

When you say "good monitor", what does that actually mean? Its not a faffy question, its actually really important.

If its 1080p 60hz, then that's becomes the limit on the entire system, and you can put the best things in the world in the PC, but they won't do a better job.

And as part of the process of learning about computers, you buy something now with an upgrade path. Something to spend that Xmas $$$ on each year. New monitor, new speakers, new GPU etc.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/DLmNjH

Hopefully that link works. I chose a more expensive case by the looks of it but the above could be had for same as the OP spec and it would not only be quicker but current gen.

Last edited:
Got me thinking there - quick check on Scan

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X £215
4070TI £730
32GB 3200 DDR4 £100
1TB NVMe £55
B550 £96
750W gold £80
h5 Elite case £100
NZXT Kraken 240 £160

Total £1536
RRP £1899 = £363 difference, 24% markup

Not dreadful tbh
But its definitely now how I'd spend £1900 as things like the RAM, PSU, Motherboard are all "unknowns" And as per my earlier question, what does the kid actually want to play on? Could go much much cheaper if the plan is a 1080p 60hz monitor for example. With an upgrade to 1440p 144hz and a better GPU in 2 years time.

When you say "good monitor", what does that actually mean? Its not a faffy question, its actually really important.

If its 1080p 60hz, then that's becomes the limit on the entire system, and you can put the best things in the world in the PC, but they won't do a better job.

And as part of the process of learning about computers, you buy something now with an upgrade path. Something to spend that Xmas $$$ on each year. New monitor, new speakers, new GPU etc.
165hz apparently

what does the kid actually want to play on?
I hate that question because people don’t just play the same game, especially at that age. He might want to play Minecraft but then want to play Starfield. Why set the bar for a poor spec pc just because it matches the game he wants to play. Set the bar higher to at least play the high end games on a decent setting as you’ll have a good few years worth out of it.
Depends on circumstances. A silly question tbf.
It came across as a snidey remark to me.

I hate that question because people don’t just play the same game, especially at that age. He might want to play Minecraft but then want to play Starfield. Why set the bar for a poor spec pc just because it matches the game he wants to play. Set the bar higher to at least play the high end games on a decent setting as you’ll have a good few years worth out of it.

It came across as a snidey remark to me.
Very. Each to their own...

Not far mate. Couple of 100 yards back towards Tommy Park. Rent office was in that street wasn’t it?

1080p
That’s low now, but it does mean that a half decent graphics card should be able to get 165fps which would equal the 165hz the monitor is capable of. If the bairns happy with 1080p say nowt 😀

My son turns 13 this month and he’s been badgering me to get him a gaming PC for his birthday. I’ve been very reluctant in the past as I think it’ll just be a fad but he’s right into his gaming now so think it’ll be well used. Problem is they’re not bloody cheap and I know nothing about them. This is the one he’s asked for, anyone here familiar with them can comment on whether it’s decent, value for money and will last? Cheers in advance.

Gaming PC
Jesus that price 😂

I can make that for about £1400

I know this as I’m in the middle of a new build.

Jesus that price 😂

I can make that for about £1400

I know this as I’m in the middle of a new build.
This sounds like an “invitation to treat” to me
The warranty aspect is slight bonus as you wouldn’t have to work out what component was goosed, they’d just diagnose it themselves, the quality of service varies though and they may have the computer for a while.

I’d have one built personally, more control over what goes in and significantly better value for money, especially NZXT. There are other builds I’ve seen where the cost compared to buying the parts individually is sometimes (rarely) lower but usually £50-£100.

Gimme a shout if you need help choosing and building it.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/DLmNjH

Hopefully that link works. I chose a more expensive case by the looks of it but the above could be had for same as the OP spec and it would not only be quicker but current gen.
He’s impressed with that. Still need someone to build it though as I’m going nowhere near that

Last edited:
Fractal Design Ridge mini ITX build

Keeping it basic -
AMD 7800x3D (my first amd)
And a RTX 4080 Super (MSI)
Decent. Nowt wrong with any of those parts. The 7800x3d is the fastest chip for gaming, well unless you’re going threadripper, but that would be mental.

I was on the fence between the 7900xtx, 4080 and 4090.

7900 probably slighty faster than 4080 in raster, but the 4080 significantly better in ray Tracing but about £350 more expensive, or go balls to the wall and spunk for the 4090. By the time I pulled the trigger the 4090 was 1800 quid so thought fuck it and fuck nvidia.

Decent. Nowt wrong with any of those parts. The 7800x3d is the fastest chip for gaming, well unless you’re going threadripper, but that would be mental.

I was on the fence between the 7900xtx, 4080 and 4090.

7900 probably slighty faster than 4080 in raster, but the 4080 significantly better in ray Tracing but about £350 more expensive, or go balls to the wall and spunk for the 4090. By the time I pulled the trigger the 4090 was 1800 quid so thought fuck it and fuck nvidia.
Yeah I’m sticking Green for the GPU specifically for the Raytracing tbh.

I’d LOVE a 4090 but can’t justify that alas. I really can’t see Nvidia being able to make huge improvements over that card. It’s a beast.

Back