Anti-piracy

Status
Not open for further replies.
fuck the FA. Set of f***ing dinosaurs. They'll never stop streaming. They're wasting their time, money and effort.

They supposedly had one in place for the final two months of last season strange I saw every one of our away games then

:lol:

Can't understand why they don't just move all premier league kick offs to 5.30pm, now you can televise every game live.

The 3pm kick off on a Saturday is sacred here unlike in other countries there'd be uproar if the premier league moved it ;)

Right, which VPNs are people using these days? Which are the ones we should be using?
I use Private Internet Access and it's been really good for a couple of years. No idea if it's the best, but was recommended by the IT lads at work. About A$30 a year. BBC iPlayer not accessible anymore as need to get free membership with U.K. license :evil: Solution via PM always welcome.

When isps first blocked torrent sites I used to use Tor browser to circumvent the blockage. I assume it will still work it that is what is intended.

Sky is a rip off, they might give freebies for the 1st 6 months to year and then you start getting £75-£80 monthly bills after that. Sky need to wake up, there are streaming sites all lover the media and one gets blocked another comes up, only way skysports can compete with streams is to lower their prices so much that people think only a few quid for this service and I can't be bothered to find a good stream that works. Could just see that headline though Sky take on the internet, they fail and fall!

When you've a connection speed of 1.5mbps you've got no option but to fork out for sky. Last season I was also forking out for bt on top. Cost a fortune.

Bt where worst as I paid c15 quid a month for that and they had disabled it playing in the multi room box. You had to pay extra to watch the same channel in another room in the house. :evil:

It's interesting how these bodies resort to legislation or bans when their interest are threatened by new technology rather than looking for new ways forward that would bring them an income.
In the 1960's the Musician's Union were horrified by the fact that people could tape pop records and spent a lot of time and money wanting it banned and such like. It was as if the cassette recorder was never going to be replaced by even newer technology that would move things even further on. They just couldn't get their heads around the fact that the vinyl record industry had a limited life and there was nothing that they could do that could stop the way in which people acquired recorded music .

Where there's a will, there's a way.

This applies pretty much to everything in life, good and bad, if someone wants to do something bad enough, they'll find a way of doing/getting it. Relating it back to streams, the Pirate Bay comparison made earlier was a good one. For every 1 they shut down, 10 will pop up.

As for the 3-5pm law...

"So why are there no Saturday 3pm matches on TV?

It all started in the 1960s. Convinced by Burnley Chairman Bob Lord, Football League Chairmen joined forces to halt the airing of matches at 3pm on a Saturday. But why? Lord felt that big games being televised at that time would hurt attendances for smaller clubs, like his Burnley team.

Reasoning that people would rather watch a big game than support their local team, these Chairmen feared the potential loss of match-day revenue that could occur.

And so, based on that premise, with no real proof other than a hunch it came to pass that no match on a Saturday between 2:45 and 5:15 could be aired on TV within the UK. This has remained in place ever since, with the exception of the FA Cup final which has always been shown on a Saturday at 3pm until only recently when it was switched to 5pm in a controversial move by the FA."

With the 'smaller clubs' now having i-follow, this antiquated law seems firmly in the land of the dodo's and wooly mammoths.

That's typical of the way footy is/was run.

I remember as a kid Radio 2 (as it was) had to say 'we have live 2nd half commentary from a match later' and not say which one in case it put people off from going :lol:

We´ll see how far reaching the court order is.. But let us not fool ourselves, there are whole countries out there that have blocked VPN totally so it could happen anywhere in no time at all.
Which countries? North Korea? Saudi Arabia?

We´ll see how far reaching the court order is.. But let us not fool ourselves, there are whole countries out there that have blocked VPN totally so it could happen anywhere in no time at all.

I'll say it again, if this was something that was practical, why would BT and Sky not have already blocked the illegal streams on their own broadband services which probably makes up the majority of the market? The broadcasters know that the tide is moving towards the end of traditional broadcast subscription services, that they can never get on top of the piracy of streams, and they do not want to alienate their customers in the process of trying to block them, sending them running to other providers on a product they know can not be pirated; the actual ISP. It is the Premier League that are trying to stop the streaming via legal means because they probably realize that the next round of rights sales is going to be greatly diminished.

VPNs are not very likely to get banned. They are an essential piece of infrastructure for many businesses and academic institutions. It would be like banning browsers. There may be an argument for banning domestic use of VPNs, and requiring licensing to have one. There might possibly be an argument for temporarily banning them in the event of a major terrorist threat that requires everyone to have open communications, but I do not think it is likely. Certainly I can not see there being an argument for it for something as trivial as blocking sports coverage (although I would not put it past our overlords for some kind of 'serious threat' to be manufactured just to justify such a ban for commercial gain). The powers that be are going to have to accept that it is part of globalization. I still do not quite understand how the EU directives that allow us to buy everything else from any country in the EU were ruled to not cover TV broadcasts, in spite of it applying to pretty much every other media right.

No chance they will be able to do this unless they start banning VPN access...and that will never happen.

You'd think the government would have advisors who at least know the basics of how the internet works, obviously not

.. Yes, well just stop everyone from working on the move or working from home. Fuck secure connections eh .. ffs ..

No chance they will be able to do this unless they start banning VPN access...and that will never happen.

Don't count on it. It really wouldn't surprise me to see the next piece of legislation covering VPN/proxy access. The 2017 Digital Economy Act is the thin end of the wedge.

With the 'smaller clubs' now having i-follow, this antiquated law seems firmly in the land of the dodo's and wooly mammoths.
UK fans can't watch live streams legally, only commentary and highlights will be available. Obviously fans will find other ways to get around this so it may well still stop a small percentage of fans going to the match. How many extra UK subscriptions will they get from people who don't even go to the match anyway? I'd say it's more than the ones who would stop going to the match.

The more they fight piracy then the more they will kill the brand in my opinion. The Football League could just open the lot up to everyone and it all goes in one big pot for the end of season. Then distribute it out fairly between all teams but obviously give a little more the higher the team finishes. Obviously this won't happen as the bigger clubs wouldn't have it (hence some of them not being in ifollow) and the gulf in football will just continue to get bigger and bigger. Although the league is a brand, football clubs are still individual businesses looking to make their own money so it's not easy for most clubs to have a go at being successful. Even more so with the Premier League brand as the top teams are just 10's of millions ahead now when buying players compared to the other teams in the league.

At the end of the day it's all about money and they'll do it whichever way generates them the most cash regardless of how it affects the match day fans and those who'd watch on TV.

They say that movie/music piracy costs the industry billions blah blah blah. Does it fuck cost them that much as there's no way people would go to see the movies at the cinema or buy the music. Provide a service at reasonable cost and some will pay rather than piss about. Netflix is raking it in now as they have millions of subscribers worldwide now yet if they and many other streaming services weren't available then the movie/music industries wouldn't be generating as much cash.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...oint-for-music-industry-with-revenues-of-15bn
Second year of growth after recording 40% decline over previous 15 years, with streaming hailed as revitalising sector

It's about time football moved on with the times and took advantage of the f***ing huge worldwide market to watch matches either live or on demand. Surely they'd generate more income per club overall (TV+gate receipts) than what they currently get. This could theoretically mean lower match prices so that some of the match day fans they'd lose can either be tempted to stay and also it would generate new match day fans.
Nowt beats the match day experience so a good percentage of fans will still go regardless of it being live on TV. Quite a few would probably still subscribe to the streaming service if they can then later watch the match on demand for the next week (like Premier League Pass allowed).

Depending on the team of course, if they charged between £10-£20 a ticket and £10-£15 a month for the stream/on demand service then they'd rake it in as shown by the music/movie/TV industries now raking it in will reasonable pricing. I do think the 3pm rule will be removed and streaming/on demand will happen in the UK, it's just when though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't count on it. It really wouldn't surprise me to see the next piece of legislation covering VPN/proxy access. The 2017 Digital Economy Act is the thin end of the wedge.

They might try but I can't see how that would get passed, first they'd need to distinguish between business and personal use. I use several VPNs for work on a daily basis and a personal one when at home.

It would open such a massive can of worms, plus they tried have similar restrictions in China with the great firewall...doesn't stop tens of millions of VPN users there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back