Anti-piracy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Die Antwoord released on Youtube a few years ago and are multimillionaire superstars.

Left Boy doing alright for himself too.
That was from a 2 second google search so i imagine 100s more. Ed Sheeran apparently is popular so it seems the industry picks can start online

That was from a 2 second google search so i imagine 100s more. Ed Sheeran apparently is popular so it seems the industry picks can start online

The problem isn't that artists can't make money anymore. If they're really good, and people want to exchange money for their product, then they absolutely can.

You have to be really good though. Music is a hobby, millions of people play musical instruments.

It must be galling for coke-heads that they can't churn young acts through the wringer and rinse them for all they're worth so consistently anymore, which is nice.

The problem isn't that artists can't make money anymore. If they're really good, and people want to exchange money for their product, then they absolutely can.

You have to be really good though. Music is a hobby, millions of people play musical instruments.

It must be galling for coke-heads that they can't churn young acts through the wringer and rinse them for all they're worth so consistently anymore, which is nice.
I know loads of people who gig around the pubs and clubs for a bit pocket money. they are good but like you say its a hobby. Same as semi-pro, amateur footballers getting a few £ on a weekend

Anyone with sufficient musical talent is still perfectly able to have a great life as a musician, so I'm not concerned about them. I have a couple of mates on tours as we speak and they're well and truly set, your concern for their well-being is misplaced.

Really? Are you sure about that? Because I don't know anyone touring who is 'absolutely set'.

If I'd been making royalties off people watching repeats of me playing football or computer games, I'd have expected that to dry up eventually because they're hobbies, people do them for love, hundreds of thousands of them. More people are finding exposure now, not just on-brand industry picks.

But we are not talking about people picking up huge amounts of money for the rest of their careers, we are talking about people not even making enough money after the initial release, in the peak period of sales, to even cover the beginnings of living costs.

Am I happy that less suits are making millions from other peoples talents now that people can sell direct to their fan-bases? Yes, they haven't earned their hookers and coke in my eyes.

And once again, someone who ignores the people who make the music losing out and chooses to instead rejoice in focusing their spite on those they deem to be undeserving. The suits at the big labels are the ones who are losing out the least. They are usually still making very good money, there are just not as many of them. But I will say it again, how do you get a fanbase without the label A&R finding you and them giving the PR to push you?
(I'm in research and we did a Brexit so don't worry, my role is well and truly fucked too).

Not everyone that works as a researcher is stuffed, and I would not assume that you are stuffed because of the UK leaving the EU. One of the steps the EU took to try and win over large swathes of academia and parts of industry was to funnel large chunks of money they would never otherwise have had straight into their pockets. There has been some completely daft pointless EU funded research going on over the last 25 years or so (much of it just to examine the impact of the EU's own bureaucracy), and hopefully leaving the EU will result in some rationalisation. But please don't think that research as a profession is going to cease just because we are leaving the EU. There are plenty of researchers outside of the EU doing fine in many different disciplines.

Die Antwoord released on Youtube a few years ago and are multimillionaire superstars.

But are they? In my experience, most artists who make their supposed wealth part of their public image are usually on the bones of their arse (although they may not always realise it).

Left Boy doing alright for himself too.

But is he? And did he make any money at all until the A&R guys at Warner picked him up? And again, you are talking about a minority of artists that might be making a living. But you don't know how well they are doing. The industry no longer supports a wide breadth of artists.

So the internet has resulted in only 5 people being discovered?

Anyway here is 12 for starters (modern 5hit music i know):

But you are contradicting yourself. All these people were only able to make money because big label A&R men signed them! They are all handpicked bland broad appeal artists given the major push! These are not guys making hit records independently at home! These are people that are completely dependent on major labels choosing them above all others to make a big investment in them and give them access to everything they need in a production. They are also predominantly produced artists in that whoever produces the sessions is going to be the one shaping most of the record, rather than the artist themselves being the biggest influence on the product that is produced.

In the past even medium sized labels would have maybe 20 or 30 artists and bands on their roster that were purely speculative, that they may give a few albums to see if they would break through. That is what the supposed over-inflated cost of records was paying for. Now even the major labels only have a few front line artists, and they spend very little on developing future potential. Most of what they do spend on development is on totally manufactured artists, a voice and face being dropped into a product rather than an artist being given access to the expensive tools to craft their art with little compromise.

Last edited:
But you are contradicting yourself. All these people were only able to make money because big label A&R men signed them! They are all handpicked bland broad appeal artists given the major push! These are not guys making hit records independently at home! These are people that are completely dependent on major labels choosing them above all others to make a big investment in them and give them access to everything they need in a production. They are also predominantly produced artists in that whoever produces the sessions is going to be the one shaping most of the record, rather than the artist themselves being the biggest influence on the product that is produced.

In the past even medium sized labels would have maybe 20 or 30 artists and bands on their roster that were purely speculative, that they may give a few albums to see if they would break through. That is what the supposed over-inflated cost of records was paying for. Now even the major labels only have a few front line artists, and they spend very little on developing future potential. Most of what they do spend on development is on totally manufactured artists, a voice and face being dropped into a product rather than an artist being given access to the expensive tools to craft their art with little compromise.
No i said the internet allows people to be heard/found whatever. Is that not the case here? would they have been picked up by a record company another way?

To be honest i only read your first sentences, as the rest is you just typing words. Im not interested in the internal workings of a record company, thats their bag. if they cant manage to operate then they should change the way they work or do somehting else and stop moaning about it. the time spent whinging and moaning could have been spent doing something about it instead

Last edited:
Really? Are you sure about that? Because I don't know anyone touring who is 'absolutely set'.
I do. Sorry?

Most musician friends are in the 'not set' category, but they're not bemoaning the injustice of people not buying their CDs either. They're doing jobs plus their hobby. Great.

But we are not talking about people picking up huge amounts of money for the rest of their careers, we are talking about people not even making enough money after the initial release, in the peak period of sales, to even cover the beginnings of living costs.

That will absolutely happen. It just isn't that galling; it's pretty much expected with any hobby unless you get very famous. See Art, Sport, Literature etc.

And once again, someone who ignores the people who make the music losing out and chooses to instead rejoice in focusing their spite on those they deem to be undeserving. The suits at the big labels are the ones who are losing out the least. They are usually still making very good money, there are just not as many of them. But I will say it again, how do you get a fanbase without the label A&R finding you and them giving the PR to push you?

Mainly Youtube and social media now, but not necessarily. Been addressed heavily already in the last few posts. For an example that hasn't come up, Akala has never had a label and is smashing it.

Not everyone that works as a researcher is stuffed, and I would not assume that you are stuffed because of the UK leaving the EU. One of the steps the EU took to try and win over large swathes of academia and parts of industry was to funnel large chunks of money they would never otherwise have had straight into their pockets. There has been some completely daft pointless EU funded research going on over the last 25 years or so (much of it just to examine the impact of the EU's own bureaucracy), and hopefully leaving the EU will result in some rationalisation. But please don't think that research as a profession is going to cease just because we are leaving the EU. There are plenty of researchers outside of the EU doing fine in many different disciplines.

Not everyone in Research is stuffed, but the ground-waves are seismic and I already know many people who've been forced in to redundancy entirely on the back of how much the vote fucked everything. Every one and thing is under review. Funding is part of it, but we need to be developing high-tech for manufacturing too. It's a globalised world and the fact is outside the EU we become a bit of a joke; potential collaborations, products and future bids going out the window left right and centre. We're losing them all to companies and institutions that aren't stuck in this ridiculous 'will they won't they' leave void. Probs not one for a footy thread though!

But are they? In my experience, most artists who make their supposed wealth part of their public image are usually on the bones of their arse (although they may not always realise it).
50 Cent :D

But is he? And did he make any money at all until the A&R guys at Warner picked him up? And again, you are talking about a minority of artists that might be making a living. But you don't know how well they are doing. The industry no longer supports a wide breadth of artists.

Seems to be. Die Antwoord & Akala definitely doing fine.

Just not bothered that not as many people can get on a label and 'make it' any more. Just because the industry was hugely inflated in the past doesn't mean that everyone with a guitar needs to be able to make a living off that. I'm 100% confident that it is still possible to make it if you're a very good musician because I know some, and am well aware of others.

The Premier League are an absolute joke - you can listen to Benno doing the commentary for Sunderland on local radio but not on the web. People can argue about whether having football available on the web / TV impacts on attendances but I doubt blocking BBC local radio on the web makes a difference. Ridiculous situation that someone in York can't listen to local BBC commentary on the web but nothing to stop someone in New York watching on television. Remember the Sunderland fan who took his dog to the Crystal Palace away game and when we scored he was jumping up and down with the dog well the Premier League "pulled' that from the web for copyright despite not even showing any football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back