Another mass shooting in the USA

Yet US politicians will only offer “thoughts and prayers”.
A constitutional ‘right‘ from the 18th century has no part in the modern world.
Amazing that the shooter is taken alive too.
I'm quite pleased he was taken alive, now he will spend the rest of his life in a prison where the majority of the inmates are black (statistically) and I'm sure those inmates will make him feel very welcome!

Background checks for starters
So people with mental issues or a criminal record can't walk into their local Target and buy an AR 15
A firearms register
So virtually nothing. I doubt anyone apart from the criminals or insane who would object to that.

I see no appetite for debate never mind actual meaningful controls.

Which states don't have background checks?
What kind of criminal record would be your threshold? I think felons aren't allowed to buy guns as it is.
Background checks are required for all gun purchases through a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL), which includes retailers (anyone from Walmart to mom and pop shops) and some individuals. You do not need to undergo a background check if you buy a gun through some private sales.

I do understand your caution but how many realtors have actually been murdered in the US? What is the actual risk versus shooting yourself or putting your family in harms way?

Do you do the Suzie Lamplugh (sp) checks before you go to a property? From a Brit perspective I'd be concerned viewing an empty building with someone who was carrying a gun.

Not criticising, just trying to reconcile the differing views from each side of the Atlantic.
Not worried about being murdered, but just been assaulted is enough for me to want additional protection. We get regular emails about assaults on Realtors, combine that with the number of shootings in areas I work (Norfolk, Chesapeake and Portsmouth) and you have to protect yourself.

I am normally very careful when meeting new clients and have a vetting process before I meet people (more to gauge how serious they are as a buyer/seller than safety), but you never know when someone is watching a vacant house just waiting for a realtor to come by (most are women in this profession).

Didn't take it as a criticism, and trust me the Mackem in me that would just drive around with a bat in the car to solve such issues took some getting used to the idea. However, a baseball bat isn't going to do much if someone has a gun (and a lot of people in the south have guns (legally and illegally)).
Which states don't have background checks?
What kind of criminal record would be your threshold? I think felons aren't allowed to buy guns as it is.
A lot of southern (republican) states don't have background checks, the right to bare arms is enshrined in the constitution under the second amendment - however this tends to be for open carry (visible on the person (although there was a time I was in Walmart and dude had an AR-15 belted around his shoulders in plain sight and that freaked me the eff out)). In fact only 11 states require a permit to purchase a gun.
All Felonies tend to prevent you from gun ownership indefinitely (or at least for a period of time depending on their nature). Some misdemeanors will have a time ban on gun ownership.

Last edited:
Not worried about being murdered, but just been assaulted is enough for me to want additional protection. We get regular emails about assaults on Realtors, combine that with the number of shootings in areas I work (Norfolk, Chesapeake and Portsmouth) and you have to protect yourself.

I am normally very careful when meeting new clients and have a vetting process before I meet people (more to gauge how serious they are as a buyer/seller than safety), but you never know when someone is watching a vacant house just waiting for a realtor to come by (most are women in this profession).

Didn't take it as a criticism, and trust me the Mackem in me that would just drive around with a bat in the car to solve such issues took some getting used to the idea. However, a baseball bat isn't going to do much if someone has a gun (and a lot of people in the south have guns (legally and illegally)).
Have you ever actually had any dodgy moments or felt bad vibes showing a client around a property?

Have you ever actually had any dodgy moments or felt bad vibes showing a client around a property?
Yeah, it happens from time to time. More often when you are a listing agent with a house to sell, you'll get calls from people in the area wanting to know if they can see it.

While working with distressed vacant properties in NJ there were a couple of close calls, fortunately I am quite tall and when I go full Mackem I sound a lot tougher than I am. I once hosted an open house where the guy who came to see the house started locking the outside doors. I asked him what he was doing and he tried to play it off, but I got a shady as hell vibe from him and told him to jog-on, when he refused and went upstairs I called the police and they were on the scene before he finished looking around.
My old boss was attacked by a squatter in an empty house he had listed, fella had broke in via the basement door and after someone had shown the house they said it looked like someone was living down there. He went to investigate and got his with a wood plank for his efforts cutting a gash in his head. He left immediately and called police.

Access denied, just FYI.

I think one of the most worrying developments we are seeing in recent times - from ISIS through to Christchurch and now this - is how many people were lured into nonsense extremist fantasies online to the point where they commit these awful crimes.

The internet is the single most dangerous thing we have ever created.

here man in one of those big whatsapp groups, someone forwarded a video of this, luckily I clocked the supermarket at the start so managed to get rid immediately

however, why would people wanna send that to others on whatsapp man

and secondly, how the fuck is that getting leaked initially man?

so thats 10 dead in Buffalo, 1 dead 5 injured in California and 2 dead in Texas.... but no call from anyone right of center on stricter gun controls. Welcome to America
You're a gun owner, what's your opinion on gun control? I don't get the impression you're a Qanoon or Evangelical conspiracy nut job

You're a gun owner, what's your opinion on gun control? I don't get the impression you're a Qanoon or Evangelical conspiracy nut job
I believe there is such a thing as a responsible gun owner. I also support the 2nd amendment and no I am not your QANON or Evangelical conspiracy nutjob type... What I believe in are more stringent background checks to make sure anyone with mental disorders or history of physical abuse should not be able to own guns. I also believe that gun ownership (like car ownership) should require insurance to be paid to cover any potential victims of that firearm (at least for the duration of ownership) depending on circumstance (not saying someone attacking you in your home that gets shot should be able to file for compo... but if your kid takes your gun and goes on a Columbine style spree then victims should be able to sue someone). Think you would find a lot more support for background checks and regulation when millions of dollars are going out the bank account. It will never happen though as there are too many on the right sticking too rigidly to a document that was written nearly 250 years ago by the elites of their time.... the constitution is a great starting point but has so little relevance right now as to be laughable.

aye good point, people shouldnt be seeing this stuff like.

There's a fairly valid argument that some of the loons in America should be made to view these videos. It may make them realise that having a Gun in your holster isn't going to mean jack when someone starts shooting at random like in one of these attacks.
But then again, these loons seem to be so far up their own backside about "their rights to have a gun" that even these videos wouldn't change their views.

There's a fairly valid argument that some of the loons in America should be made to view these videos. It may make them realise that having a Gun in your holster isn't going to mean jack when someone starts shooting at random like in one of these attacks.
But then again, these loons seem to be so far up their own backside about "their rights to have a gun" that even these videos wouldn't change their views.

The right to wear a bulletproof vest would be more useful

I believe there is such a thing as a responsible gun owner. I also support the 2nd amendment and no I am not your QANON or Evangelical conspiracy nutjob type... What I believe in are more stringent background checks to make sure anyone with mental disorders or history of physical abuse should not be able to own guns. I also believe that gun ownership (like car ownership) should require insurance to be paid to cover any potential victims of that firearm (at least for the duration of ownership) depending on circumstance (not saying someone attacking you in your home that gets shot should be able to file for compo... but if your kid takes your gun and goes on a Columbine style spree then victims should be able to sue someone). Think you would find a lot more support for background checks and regulation when millions of dollars are going out the bank account. It will never happen though as there are too many on the right sticking too rigidly to a document that was written nearly 250 years ago by the elites of their time.... the constitution is a great starting point but has so little relevance right now as to be laughable.
You stand for public office mate
Perfectly reasonable argument

Back