Ankle ligaments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ligaments and tendons take a bit longer to heal than bones. Up to 16 weeks.

Did my patella tendon. Needed a major operation to repair it followed by seven weeks in full leg cast, and further five months with a leg brace. Hospital didn’t allow physio to be started until about 14 weeks after the operation.

Physio was fun, basically the muscle/tendon memory had all but disappeared so it was very much getting my leg to do everyday stuff!
Did my patella tendon about 4yrs ago too. Quite an unusual injury apparently.
I'm back playing football and everything I did before but the muscle mass has never properly returned and there is a noticeable difference in size to other leg.

Did my patella tendon about 4yrs ago too. Quite an unusual injury apparently.
I'm back playing football and everything I did before but the muscle mass has never properly returned and there is a noticeable difference in size to other leg.

Was yours a partial tear or a complete rupture? Mine was a complete rupture.

Yes, I was told the same thing about it being an unusual injury. That little bit of information freaked me out a bit when I was lying on the bed in A & E at the QE Hospital. Didn't help that I had a load of Consultants popping into my cubicle to examine the injury as they kept saying they hadn't seen one before. One Consultant asked me if it was ok if he brought his student doctors down to have a look! So there I am on the bed, and suddenly I'm a case study for a teaching class. :eek:

I'm lying there, watching all this happen, looking interested, but inside I'm freaking out big time and all I'm thinking is "oh shit, oh f&*@, oh shit!!!"

It was 9 years ago that I did mine, and the muscle mass in my right leg still isn't quite the same as it was. I have a 14 inch scar down the centre of my right knee, still makes me jump if I catch it on something, and feeling in the right side of knee hasn't returned - the nerves were damaging when they opened up the knee cap.

Did mine May 20th. Missed the step out the back door. That's 8 weeks now. Still hurts when I go down a flight of stairs or if I've been on my feet a lot. Wouldn't dare to run. This thread hasn't exactly cheered me up !
Give it another month

I have done mine badly on two occasions, and it took a long time to heal. My advice would be to invest in a good physiotherapist to handle a proper rehab process. Your natural bloke-instincts will tell you that it will solve itself, but in reality you will need a proper rehab.

Was yours a partial tear or a complete rupture? Mine was a complete rupture.

Yes, I was told the same thing about it being an unusual injury. That little bit of information freaked me out a bit when I was lying on the bed in A & E at the QE Hospital. Didn't help that I had a load of Consultants popping into my cubicle to examine the injury as they kept saying they hadn't seen one before. One Consultant asked me if it was ok if he brought his student doctors down to have a look! So there I am on the bed, and suddenly I'm a case study for a teaching class. :eek:

I'm lying there, watching all this happen, looking interested, but inside I'm freaking out big time and all I'm thinking is "oh shit, oh f&*@, oh shit!!!"

It was 9 years ago that I did mine, and the muscle mass in my right leg still isn't quite the same as it was. I have a 14 inch scar down the centre of my right knee, still makes me jump if I catch it on something, and feeling in the right side of knee hasn't returned - the nerves were damaging when they opened up the knee cap.
Full rupture too. Knee cap ended up 4 inches up my leg!!
Weird thing was that it didn't hurt when I did it... until I tried to move it!

Full rupture too. Knee cap ended up 4 inches up my leg!!
Weird thing was that it didn't hurt when I did it... until I tried to move it!

Aye my knee cap did that too, not a nice look!

I don’t remember feeling any pain too, just remember an ice cold feeling going up my thigh to my hip. I remember the popping sound of the tendon rupturing, then the ice cold feeling, and baffled as to why I couldn’t move my leg, just thought I’d disclocated the knee cap.

I tell you what surprised me the most, just how heavy a leg is when you are unable to move it naturally.

Used to play footy twice a week always had weak ankles. Used to sprain them quite regularly always was ok after about 4 weeks.

Then done my right ankle in really bad in 2014, still gets sore now after excercise or even a long walk. Not played footy since went physio and that didn’t help. To be honest they said ligaments but didn’t give me X-ray or scan. I think it’s either bone damage or I need some type of operation on the ligaments. I’ve done the injury before and I knew it was different last time.

Anyway to answer your question if your unluckily like me it could be fucked for good.
Feel your pain mate I've got a constantly swollen ankle which gives me bother all the time. I've broke it and done the ligaments on separate occasions. Doesn't help I broke my foot on the other side which is starting to give me ongoing jip now. 35 and I'm knackered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back