Ankle ligaments

Did mine in a local derby match aged 19. Magic sponge and see if you can run it off son was the advice from our toothless physio. 4 weeks in plaster later, it was at least another month before I played again.
That was aged 19. The older you are the longer it will take.

I’ve done it about once a year for the last 30 years. I just wrap them up and wait for them to stop hurting, usually about a month before I can play footy again. But console yourself with the knowledge that from now on you will click your ankles over standing on a lolly stick. Whether they spring back or go the sprained way however.....

Sprained mine again last month. 3 weeks of rest hasn't helped, so I've dug out the elastic band thingy the physio gave me last time (when I fell ower outside Newcastle train station). This thread reminded me to make a start using it daily to strengthen it up.

Pain in the arse though, still swollen and still sore. Legs feel terrible at the moment, probably due to compensating for a bad ankle.

It was very painful I'll have you know! :lol:

Did mine slipping on the grass! Out on a frosty morning taking photos for work, took a step down a slight incline, felt myself starting to slide and then my whole body weight went onto my knee... and pop!

I was being operated on to repair the damage the Saturday afternoon we beat Liverpool with the aid of a beach ball.... got took back to the ward and asked a nurse if he knew the result of the match, I thought I was still under the effects of the drugs when he told me how we had won.

Actually I'll probably take back my earlier post. For me the thought of inactivity and inevitable weight gain didn't seem an option & getting back into action asap was ultimately preferable but now I can see trying to get it sorted is probably going to save NHS time & save you grief further down the line.

^This really. You can't do anything about it aside from rest it, although or me this is usually too much to even ask and I ended up playing again within a week.
That's absolutely not true.

Doing nothing might help. Or it might need physio, which mine has done in the past.

done mine trying to recapture my youth playing footy in the Washington arms beer garden last night. Got myself a moon boot and crutches till Friday when I get a scan to see how badly! Anyone done them before? Best case a couple of weeks worst case months and an op,is that about right! The Qe were great today hail to the nhs

Havent read all the replies here, so probably going over old ground, did mine playing football few years ago was taken to hospital as it was assumed to be broken, after xrays the doctor confirmed no break which i was originally pleased with until he formed me a clean break would have been easier to heel and a ‘better’ injury than severe ligament damaged. To his day still gives me grief especially when walking uneven or damaged paving flags and the ankle just rolls a bit

Get well soon though!!

Did mine a few tears back stepping off a step. Full weight on it. Heard a crack and then agony.

Within a day it was purple from toes up to just above ankle bone. Took about 6 months to heal properly. Just borrowed crutches off someone and had a support bandage on it. Limped around for about 4 months. Makes a wonderful cracking noise when i twist it!!

I did mine falling off a kerb on way back from stag do at Hexham Races. My niece was two at the time and had a full leg cast from a broken leg but hobbled to the freezer to get frozen peas for me to put on it.:oops:
The bruising went from my toes to my knee. I didn't bother going to doctors or hospital because I am an idiot.
This was fifteen years ago and still get the odd twinge in my ankle.

Done mine a couple of years ago, still hurts from time to time, mostly due to the tiny bone fragments floating about in it, they said they'd cause more damage trying to get them out so they're still in there

Did mine running round a corner in a pair of Timberland Boots (first person to wear them in Sunderland) and it took months to get back to normal.

Did mine May 20th. Missed the step out the back door. That's 8 weeks now. Still hurts when I go down a flight of stairs or if I've been on my feet a lot. Wouldn't dare to run. This thread hasn't exactly cheered me up !

Back