Android Boxes

Where the shield comes into its own is Plex and gaming. Neither i used so the firesticks wee on par with it for my needs i found, mainly streaming. My brother has the z10 and it is spot on, only issue i found woth the z10 is it uses a MAC address for iptv, rather than a username and password. Meaning an iptv sub will only work on that one device, whereas a username and sub on a firestick can be used on multiple devices, which require a user pass type app, albeit one device at a time, unless you pay the premium.

Bin it marra, not even worth pissing about with these days.
you don’t need to use a MAC address with mytvonline app it supports xtreme log in , provider id and user and password mate. I have my sub on every device inc z10

you don’t need to use a MAC address with mytvonline app it supports xtreme log in , provider id and user and password mate. I have my sub on every device inc z10
You do on my brother's. Unless it is in the settings, then i stand corrected.

The provider asked for the MAC when he heard it was a formular box.
I bought a prime cube. You can still install kodi but have voice commands too
The firesticks have voice commands marra.

You do on my brother's. Unless it is in the settings, then i stand corrected.

The provider asked for the MAC when he heard it was a formular box.

The firesticks have voice commands marra.
They should be able to provide a username and password instead

Yeah, i just didn't think there was anywhere to enter it on the formuler z10. The standard set up on them is using the MAC address for the mytv online app. Or so i was told by the iptv provider.
You can do either. Wouldn't touch the Mac address after what happened to me🤣

Il tell our kid. What happened?
My MAC for my TV was leaked online,nee idea how but you only had to Google it and it popped up on various forums. Someone cloned it and was watching stuff, which in turn blocked it for me. I had it swapped for a username and password (they still can be cloned like but a bit harder and easy to change)

Shield all day for me with a ssd added, the issue with firesticks is lack of storage and they always slow to a snails pace once they get so far full the way Kodi and to a lesser extent IPTV is expanding in what it offers storage has became more and more of an issue for me this is without including plex etc.

I had the original firestick, then the 4k then the 4k max for the upstairs TV and in the same time I've had the shield 2017 for downstairs.

In terms of value I've spent around 120 on firesticks and 150 on a shield which will no doubt outlast the 4k max firestick.

This is without dipping into pass through issues and audio drop outs I experienced through the avr with fire sticks but not the shield.

So anyways after this wall of text the standard user will likely be fine with a firestick, however expect to replace it every 24months or so. If you want a lot more in terms of speed, storage expansion and pass through/audio support go the shield.

On a side note I recently read the apple 4k box may offer side loading soon and if so that may well end up top dog.

Shield all day for me with a ssd added, the issue with firesticks is lack of storage and they always slow to a snails pace once they get so far full the way Kodi and to a lesser extent IPTV is expanding in what it offers storage has became more and more of an issue for me this is without including plex etc.

I had the original firestick, then the 4k then the 4k max for the upstairs TV and in the same time I've had the shield 2017 for downstairs.

In terms of value I've spent around 120 on firesticks and 150 on a shield which will no doubt outlast the 4k max firestick.

This is without dipping into pass through issues and audio drop outs I experienced through the avr with fire sticks but not the shield.

So anyways after this wall of text the standard user will likely be fine with a firestick, however expect to replace it every 24months or so. If you want a lot more in terms of speed, storage expansion and pass through/audio support go the shield.

On a side note I recently read the apple 4k box may offer side loading soon and if so that may well end up top dog.
If it works great, i found the firestick just as good as the shield, for my needs. A shield is way overkill for most people.

Had the 4k apple TV,went back after a week, useless for playing your own stuff, especially Atmos etc. The home screen looks impressive but to be honest the shield is still the best imo

It’s a few years back now , but I sold my Apple TV box which to be honest was the fastest smoothest but if kit I have ever had , replaced it with Shield , simply because the iplayer app on apple didn’t support sub titles and me and her at our age watch everything with cc. They may have sorted that now I don’t know. Also the remote with its swiping process was shit .

Last edited:
Another should for the Formuler boxes if you use IPTV, cannot beat their MYTV Online app with the proper dedicated remote.

Apple TV box for everything else. The shield may be able to play "everything' but it's ruined by the software. Sluggish and adverts plastered on it these days by default.

Found the apple TV 4k box to be really good as well but now I've swapped my iPhone to a pixel use it less now

After the shield it's best device I've found to direct play 4k Plex content although it doesn't like Dolby vision / Atmos but you can run it through an app called infuse if you wanted that .

For the stuff that isn't to be talked about There's an app on it called ipv X that is one of the best apps for that kind of stuff , would go as far as to say I prefer it to tivi which for me is the best android app

If you're into the apple ecosystem with watch etc the fitness app on Apple TV is great and links in with the watch

Folks have agreed to replace that 1st Gen Firestick. Its only a 720p telly, so I'm wondering if its even worth getting the 4k one this time, or are the "standard" ones decent these days?

Folks have agreed to replace that 1st Gen Firestick. Its only a 720p telly, so I'm wondering if its even worth getting the 4k one this time, or are the "standard" ones decent these days?
Personally I'd pay the bit extra for 4k, if you upgrade your goggle box in the future, your stick will be good to go.

Have am a95x box that runs me telly. Only thing is remote is bust and can’t get an app to work with it. So any ideas on what remote will do the job? Just any old android one?

Have am a95x box that runs me telly. Only thing is remote is bust and can’t get an app to work with it. So any ideas on what remote will do the job? Just any old android one?
Plug a wireless mouse dongle into one of the USB ports. I always used a mouse on mine when I had one, back in the olden days.

I had two droidboxes years ago, both worked for about a year then needed updates that for some reason never wanted to work.

A 4K Firestick beats the shite out of both of them.

Plug a wireless mouse dongle into one of the USB ports. I always used a mouse on mine when I had one, back in the olden days.
Best go to beamish for a mouse then 😂
I had two droidboxes years ago, both worked for about a year then needed updates that for some reason never wanted to work.

A 4K Firestick beats the shite out of both of them.
got a firestick too for bedroom but that’s a different build to living room one. Works fine but remote now fucked.

Back