Android Boxes

NordVPN. They have a version for fire stick that's been rock solid on mine. However the version on my Fire Tablet drops connection as soon as i open my browser.
This used to happen on the older firesticks at least, theres an app you can get that shows a green light when the vpn is on, vpn safety dot

I've got whatever the latest shield pro is and it's class . Just works and never get any lagging /buffering like I did when I had firesticks

Main thing I use it for is Plex and it's hands down best device you can get for that just direct plays anything you can throw at it

Found the new Google TV stick to be decent as well , much better than a firestick (the 4k one though not the £25 hd one as that's laggy as owt )

Can see why firesticks are popular cos of their low cost and are half decent for the price

Most have a player already installed Ive found
Depends what app, many services don't support the stb emulator apps anymore as it's easily hackable. With one service I used, my mac address was all over the Internet and when I had it looked at someone was watching stuff under my account🤣

Would have told them not to bother. Found stuff does not work on them and then it can only update so far. Massivly slownthese days
Didn't help it was powered by the TV and kept complaining about low power. Guess it was throttling cpu the whole time.

There's no real need to use a VPN for most people.
Was going to post this , why are people automatically assuming you need a vpn with a firestick or android device ?
Had a couple of Nvidia shields up until last year, sold them and replaced with 4k firesticks. Never looked back in all honesty.

They are good mind, but as you say overkill for 90% of users.
Agree , I have two shields , 3 firesticks and a Formuler Z10 pro max. Simply for streaming , the firesticks are perfectly adequate.
I watch all my sport on the Z10 , the remote has all the one click buttons for the "mytvonline" app that is default on the Z10.
Wife watches everything on the shield although she would be just as happy using firestick. So we have no rooftop aerial , she watches all her live tv and soaps on the official apps .

Last edited:
Slightly off topic but can you use IPTV smarters on a PC or Xbox?
There's pc apps available, depending on what service you use or whether they'll provide the info to get a generic one working
Been sorting a first gen firestick out today. Painful experience.
I just outright refuse to even look at them. Even the 2nd gen 'alexa' ones are a bit crap when you've used the later ones or a shield

Last edited:
Was going to post this , why are people automatically assuming you need a vpn with a firestick or android device ?

Agree , I have two shields , 3 firesticks and a Formuler Z10 pro max. Simply for streaming , the firesticks are perfectly adequate.
I watch all my sport on the Z10 , the remote has all the one click buttons for the "mytvonline" app that is default on the Z10.
Wife watches everything on the shield although she would be just as happy using firestick. So we have no rooftop aerial , she watches all her live tv and soaps on the official apps .
Where the shield comes into its own is Plex and gaming. Neither i used so the firesticks wee on par with it for my needs i found, mainly streaming. My brother has the z10 and it is spot on, only issue i found woth the z10 is it uses a MAC address for iptv, rather than a username and password. Meaning an iptv sub will only work on that one device, whereas a username and sub on a firestick can be used on multiple devices, which require a user pass type app, albeit one device at a time, unless you pay the premium.
Been sorting a first gen firestick out today. Painful experience.
Bin it marra, not even worth pissing about with these days.

Last edited:

Back