Amazon echo

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't want a dot but still pissed off I didn't get a discount code from Sonos despite having a house full of the f***ing things. :evil::evil:

I must be a heathen then, have tvs in every room haven't. Listened to a radio other than in the car in over a decade.

Fair enough I would do similar. What did you need to put in then to do this? Genuinely interested and not trying to dig you out

Nest thermostat
Smart light switches and bulbs / phillips hue bridge and bulbs
Door and motion sensors
Moisture sensors (Samsung smartthings)
Music streamer / speakers
Smart plugs
August smart lock or similar

1 or more Echo dots

It all seems quite daunting in a list but to be honest it's so so simple.

Nest thermostat
Door and motion sensors
Smart plugs

1 or more Echo dots

I'm an ex sparky mate. It holds no fear for me.

do you have Amazon Prime ? I actually upgraded to the whole music so from 2 million tracks to 30 million

but all in one place and convenient. and it tells me a joke, the weather, the local traffic.

you get out what you want to put in.

Look out the frikken winda pal, tell yo just as much.

Nest thermostat
Door and motion sensors
Smart plugs

1 or more Echo dots

Similar list just going to get some more dots to ‘dot’ Around the house and next purchase is smart lock.

Add Logitech harmony elite into that list (with hub) and you’ve got TV automation too.

Love it!

Nest thermostat
Door and motion sensors
Smart plugs

1 or more Echo dots

The new Echo has a hub built into it, so you kill two brds with one stone. Not sure if it's out yet like.

Edit: It is, it's the echo plus or the echo show (with video).

Last edited:
CAn't speak for the OP but for me: next to nowt. A NEST thermostat costs buttons, and the LED wireless bulbs are more expensive than others, but I had them before I started using Alexa.
Is it easy to sort the heating part out? Seen the bulbs and that looks easy enough.

Nest thermostat
Door and motion sensors
Smart plugs

1 or more Echo dots

Need more details. What do you use each for and how do you set them up

Last edited:
Is it easy to sort the heating part out? Seen the bulbs and that looks easy enough.

Need more details. What do you use each for and how do you set them up

For the heating you get the nest thermostat, connect wireless transmitter control unit thing to boiler, then put the thermostat wherever you wish.

Job done. Only a few wires and there’s a very good set of videos on their site for help.

Then you control with your phone or Alexa, or manually.

For the heating you get the nest thermostat, connect wireless transmitter control unit thing to boiler, then put the thermostat wherever you wish.

Job done. Only a few wires and there’s a very good set of videos on their site for help.

Then you control with your phone or Alexa, or manually.

Does the nest thermostat only work with gas central heating or does it also work with oil central heating. Quite like the idea of using Alexa to control our heating using my phone.

we use ours daily in the kitchen. Admittedly as a radio most the time or one of my playlists. Daughter has a dot with a small Bluetooth speaker and it works well

nead to be an amazon Prime member to get best value regards music out of it

So, I have an Internet radio and I use Spotify, both different devices, how would I get this to do the Spotify thing? Do I still need it to be linked to my laptop/tablets? What else can it do? I'm quite interested but not sure what else it can do.

Ours is normally switched off so there ain't much point in hooking it up to lights or heating controls. Gets turned on a couple of times a week so Mrs. ouro can listen to Kate f***ing Garraway on Smooth FM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back