Alison Mitchell

Status
Not open for further replies.

So... Happy youve got a valued member banned now?

:rolleyes:
No. I'm not happy at his ban. Surprised it's happened to be honest.

But - he didn't delete his post and I can see why the mods have acted. It was unacceptable. He just argued the toss why I and others were offended by his terminology - which mocked Lizzy against disability.

I dont think he mocks those with a disability for the record, some people foolishly still use the term 'spaz' & '****' & 'spacka'. Its not great in all honesty & i wouldn't use them expressions myself (i did when I was a young'un) but is it any different to insulting anyone with any other crude/vulgar term? I wouldnt care but he hasnt actually abused any fellow forum members or called them that!

I dont think he mocks those with a disability for the record, some people foolishly still use the term 'spaz' & '****' & 'spacka'. Its not great in all honesty & i wouldn't use them expressions myself (i did when I was a young'un) but is it any different to insulting anyone with any other crude/vulgar term? I wouldnt care but he hasnt actually abused any fellow forum members or called them that!

Thats all very well, but calling her that name wasn't the worst of it. To suggest she got the job by posting what he did was right out of order, and could be seen as libelous, the site owners were right to act swiftly as they too, could be open to legal action, although the punishment dished out in this case seems extreme at first sight.

Here's an extract from an article published on the subject.

"A landmark legal ruling ordering a woman to pay £10,000 in damages for defamatory comments posted on an internet chatroom site could trigger a rush of similar lawsuits, a leading libel lawyer warned today....

...Although ISPs have paid out for hosting defamatory comments, this case is thought to be the first time an individual has been found to have committed libel on a internet chat site.

"The obvious and immediate potential ramification is that there will be more cases like this," said Richard Shillito, a partner at the law firm Farrer & Co. "One sees on these sites particularly unrestrained comments that people make in the heat of the moment without thinking of the legal consequences."

"A lot of people post anonymously but it is possible to find out people's identity. I think people should read this judgment as a warning to be more careful about their comments."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back