Alien and associated films

Watched Alien last night, was about to go to bed and seen it was on BBC1. Watched it in the dark what an amazing film, the suspense and atmosphere is quality. Only my second time watching it the first time was over 20 years ago.
I've watched Aliens 100 times, Alien 3 once, and none of the others. What they like are they worth watching, and what about the new ones like Prometheus (sp?) and Covenant? Any good? Rnak them all?
That’s all well and good, but have you ever been abducted by one?

Tin hat on. There are days when I consider alien 3 to be better than aliens.

:lol: You'll need more than a tin hat for that man

I'm a defender of Alien 3, the Assembly Cut in particular is actually quite good.

HOWEVER

It's still a bit of a mess, the whole thing was in the toilet before Fincher came in and the finished film isn't what anyone involved actually wanted to do. There's also some shonky CGI and frankly crap dialogue. It's nowhere near as good as the first two films

Tin hat on. There are days when I consider alien 3 to be better than aliens.

😲

That’s like saying Highlander 2 was an award winning film and best of the franchise!

(I’m not saying such a film exists …. I still firmly believe there was a typo in the title of Highlander 3 and that film execs had simply miscounted)

I'm a defender of Alien 3, the Assembly Cut in particular is actually quite good.

HOWEVER

It's still a bit of a mess, the whole thing was in the toilet before Fincher came in and the finished film isn't what anyone involved actually wanted to do. There's also some shonky CGI and frankly crap dialogue. It's nowhere near as good as the first two films
That’s part of the appeal. I can never remember the plot no matter how many times I watch it, it’s like an experimental film with a load of ITV soap actors and a good selection of British accents in it. Brian Glover from Kes for example :D

So shit it’s good

I thought Alien 3 and Resurrection were terrible ,even at the time. Alien Vs predator I thought was ok, mainly because I was interested in the crossover over two films I liked. Requiem though was shite. So for me the order is

Aliens
Alien
Prometheus
Alien Vs predator
Alien covenant
Alien 3
Alien resurrection
Alien Vs predator requiem
How can you possibly have prometheus ahead of 3? It was shockingly bad. Terrible writing and completely senseless scenes. Awful awful film.

😲

That’s like saying Highlander 2 was an award winning film and best of the franchise!

(I’m not saying such a film exists …. I still firmly believe there was a typo in the title of Highlander 3 and that film execs had simply miscounted)
There can be only one. That applies to the films even more so than immortals.

HOWEVER

It’s also extremely stage play feeling. It doesn’t look or feel authentic imo

I think Alien 3 is great but could have been a masterpiece. Regardless I like the largely British cast and the use of profanity.
I mean it obviously gets points for Mr Sugden being in it 😂

The “original” version is bollocks. Basically cut the entire character played by Paul McGann. The assembly cut whilst rough also has a much better origin for the xeno

Watched it again the other night. From what I can see most of them are included in Disney+ so I may watch them all as I only ever saw the first two. It makes me want to play Returnal again on PS5 though, which is bad for my sanity.
That’s all well and good, but have you ever been abducted by one?
Everybody knows that only redneck guys with fewer than 10 teeth get from the bible belt get plucked out of their sister's bed and abducted.

I do kind of know what you mean, but it ends up feeling very fake. The medical bay and the morgue are the only good bits of set imo. The lighting is off.

AND

it really fucks me off how the pulse rifle sounds like a revolver in it 😂

How much better could they have made it if Fincher had been brought in at the start to design and cast the film and agree on a script, instead of being tens of millions in the hole after everything they spaffed on Vincent Ward's wooden ship full of f***ing space monks?

How much better could they have made it if Fincher had been brought in at the start to design and cast the film and agree on a script, instead of being tens of millions in the hole after everything they spaffed on Vincent Ward's wooden ship full of f***ing space monks?
Worse than a wooden ship, it was a wooden planet! 😂

At least they didn’t keep it a space station orbiting earth that fired chunks of alloy to the surface

Back