Album of the year

I haven't seen them live in years. Back around 92-94ish they seemed to be everywhere: festivals, support for bigger acts... I ended up seeing them about 5 or 6 times and not once was it their own headline gig, they just happened to be on the bill.

Same with Skin. :lol: (Although I did actually go to Stoke Wheatsheaf once to see one of their own shows.)

And Little Angels. :lol:

I always enjoyed them when I saw them, like. They've probably not got the same energy nowadays. They're getting on a bit.
To be honest i'm only familiar with the first 3 albums..i just thought that the set they played could've contained a bit more of the well known/catchy stuff..i was standing far enough back to be able to see the people upstairs on the sides and they never moved once..never stood up..Bettencourt commented on it..he said something like..'you'll all be on your feet before we finish'..they weren't..Bettencourt is fantastic like..i just thought in general it was a bit dull.

Youā€™re in for a treat. They are outstanding live. Living in Dublin Iā€™m lucky enough to get to see them fairly regularly.

Got ticket to see ƘXN next year, Radies side project. Really looking forward to that.
Have bought their records since Lynched days and haven't been able to see them for various reasons. Not listened to ƘXN yet

To be honest i'm only familiar with the first 3 albums..i just thought that the set they played could've contained a bit more of the well known/catchy stuff..i was standing far enough back to be able to see the people upstairs on the sides and they never moved once..never stood up..Bettencourt commented on it..he said something like..'you'll all be on your feet before we finish'..they weren't..Bettencourt is fantastic like..i just thought in general it was a bit dull.

The fourth album, Waiting For The Punchline is worth checking out. It's much more of a lo-fi vibe than the earlier albums. Really simplistic production, like it was recorded on an old 4-track by Led Zep's producer or something. Complete contrast to the overblown uber-production of Three Sides To Every Story. On a bunch of the songs, they just pan the guitar to one side and the vocal to the other with the drums and bass in the middle. Proper 60's production style.

It's also their transition album between drummers. Geary was in the process of leaving to follow a career in artist management after the previous tour, and so they brought in Mike Mangini (who on another note, actually just recently left Dream Theater after many years to make way for the return of Mike Portnoy, their original drummer) to finish the album. Geary is still on most of the tracks but Mangini plays on a handful.

Really cool album! A real shame it didn't get the same attention of some of their earlier stuff, as I reckon it's some of their best work. Probably their most consistent album.

The fourth album, Waiting For The Punchline is worth checking out. It's much more of a lo-fi vibe than the earlier albums. Really simplistic production, like it was recorded on an old 4-track by Led Zep's producer or something. Complete contrast to the overblown uber-production of Three Sides To Every Story. On a bunch of the songs, they just pan the guitar to one side and the vocal to the other with the drums and bass in the middle. Proper 60's production style.

It's also their transition album between drummers. Geary was in the process of leaving to follow a career in artist management after the previous tour, and so they brought in Mike Mangini (who on another note, actually just recently left Dream Theater after many years to make way for the return of Mike Portnoy, their original drummer) to finish the album. Geary is still on most of the tracks but Mangini plays on a handful.

Really cool album! A real shame it didn't get the same attention of some of their earlier stuff, as I reckon it's some of their best work. Probably their most consistent album.

I just checked the production personnel. It was actually mastered by Bob Ludvig, who mastered Led Zep II amongst many other credits. :)

Last edited:
All about opinions my friend šŸ‘šŸ»
Of course but surely an attempt at justifying how a band thatve barely released a couple of good albums worth of material ALTOGETHER in ower 40yrs have suddenly returned to their late 60s-early 70s form when they were as good as music gets could be made?
Ive heard it about 20 times. Itā€™s not the best album of the year.

Of course but surely an attempt at justifying how a band thatve barely released a couple of good albums worth of material ALTOGETHER in ower 40yrs have suddenly returned to their late 60s-early 70s form when they were as good as music gets could be made?
Ive heard it about 20 times. Itā€™s not the best album of the year.
Weā€™l agree to disagree then

Allison Russell - The Returner

Shoutout to the sterling work @Arkle does on this thread otherwise Iā€™d have never known about her albumā€¦

Her previous one was my 2021 Album of the Year. This one was still excellent but didnā€™t ā€œgrabā€ me quite the same.

Itā€™s Grade 2ā€™s self titled record for me this year!

Back