Afghans falling from planes leaving Kabul.

So I totally get why we should be pulling out at some point - it was always an unwinnable war. But what’s Biden’s game here - they’ve had years to plan for this withdrawal and if they weren’t planned they should have waited before withdrawing. Visas for the right people, that kind of stuff. I get why there will never be an orderly handover to the Taliban, but surely there was another option?

Im genuinely distressed that we are leaving people to die, women to be raped and taken as slaves and people who aided us to be tortured and murdered. That’s how terrorists are made.
I just don't get it.

So I totally get why we should be pulling out at some point - it was always an unwinnable war. But what’s Biden’s game here - they’ve had years to plan for this withdrawal and if they weren’t planned they should have waited before withdrawing. Visas for the right people, that kind of stuff. I get why there will never be an orderly handover to the Taliban, but surely there was another option?

Im genuinely distressed that we are leaving people to die, women to be raped and taken as slaves and people who aided us to be tortured and murdered. That’s how terrorists are made.
We’ve been taking out interpreters and their families for a couple of months so it was known about and they will settle in U.K..
2,250 aid workers , facilitators for U.K. army and government employees also being repatriated imminently and into quarantine hotels - unfortunately we can’t take everyone linked to the west.

The US & Uk have made a right shit show of this.
I’m not going to suggest I know the ins and outs outs of the last 20 years and beforehand in this country.

But didn’t we train their army and equip them before pulling out. What’s happened there, did they just give up straight away? Was there any resistance?

I’m not going to suggest I know the ins and outs outs of the last 20 years and beforehand in this country.

But didn’t we train their army and equip them before pulling out. What’s happened there, did they just give up straight away? Was there any resistance?
We did the same in Iraq and trained an army then along came IS and it collapsed.

We do not appear to be reliable enough allies in a foreign country and I'm not sure where the West can go from here if it tries to intervene in foreign countries. The only place we have stayed has been Japan and South Korea and with the South China Sea now rising in prominence maybe the US wants to focus on that theatre of operations.

There have been a few ex forces who served in Afghan interviewed on the news in recent days , I would rather listen to their opinions than any of the politicians , they all seemed both upset and angry that this has been Allowed to happen , disgrace really
I can see why they would mind.
fingers crossed that the taliban have learned something from last time but Im guessing not

Was thinking this then read that there’s something like 60,000 Taliban fighters.

Unreal and tragic.
Couldn’t help thinking today of those brave servicemen and women that have lost their life over this conflict and for what?
Even difficult typing that incase anyone on here reads it and knows someone that has been caught up in it.
Time and time again you question the human race.
Best mate is a Captain in the Marines. I was in his best man and we lost one of his lads from the wedding not long after. I find the whole situation upsetting for both the people we lost and the civvies caught up in it all and who will continue to be. Such a sad sad situation my Swindon friend.

It’s Trump-esque behaviour really, making decisions without giving a shit about the consequences. American politics is the pits.

I genuinely think the UK would have stayed but we couldn’t unless the Americans did too.

Surely it’s impossible to not fall off the plane eventually when it’s travelling that fast for hours.

Absolute suicide mission.

Awful they’ve felt that is their only choice. :(

Both Trump and Biden are in the wrong over this. Trump started the withdrawal but Biden could have stopped it.
Trump started an orderly withdrawl and Biden just sped it up...there could never have been an orderly withdrawl they are both to blame yet of course Trump is now trying to point score..both proven to be utter wa kers

Trump started an orderly withdrawl and Biden just sped it up...there could never have been an orderly withdrawl they are both to blame yet of course Trump is now trying to point score..both proven to be utter wa kers
didn't Trump release the current Taliban leader and 5,000 Taliban fighters in a "deal" that completely ignored the wishes of the Afghani people?

I'm pretty sure that was Trump and he started the withdrawal and I'm not too sure with the state it was when Biden came to power he could turn all that back, what would he have had to do?

Back