A year ago today 26th May 2019 Charlton 2 Sunderland 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

That Peterboro result was a killer as all the others won that day. There is some consensus that the Pompey performances home and away were along with the best of the season though. I guess based on dominating at home then defending comfortably with 10 men for 30 mins. Away from home we were very professional and nullified them from the start. Kept the crowd quiet too. Wembley was another story :/

After the last 6-7 games of the season I had no confidence in us going up, I kinda just accepted Pompey would beat us so it was a massive pleasant surprise when we won. But I still had no faith in us beating Charlton. I wasn't nervous and when they scored the winner I just burst out laughing in a 'couldn't make it up' kinda way. Think I felt worse after the Checkatrade even though this was a much bigger game.

It was definitely the beginning of the end of Ross. I liked him, I thought we played decent football at the start of the season under him but performances got progressively worse as the season went on. The run of draws in February and Fleetwood/Southend at the end were hideous. Then we played really well in the home leg vs Portsmouth, albeit a bit backs to the walls after the red card, and sat back and defended the lead away. Great - well executed defensive tactics and job done. But the writing was on the wall when he kept the same team at Wembley. Our strikers had been isolated for months but he played 3 slow, defensive midfielders and Honeyman on the wing then had to change it all around when Power went off early on.

Still can’t get why Ross had us sitting back for practically the whole game. Embarrassing. Charlton deserved the win so not like we can have any complaints. I know plenty aren’t fans of Power but him going off seemed to put us at a loss.

After the celebrations died down I remember turning to the wife and saying “watch us sit back for 85mins, it never works”.

Why we thought defending a one goal lead was something in our armoury I’ll never know. The whole reason we were in the play-offs anyway was that we failed to do it so many times across the season
Tbf like we did defend a one goal lead against Portsmouth in the first leg of the play off semis (albeit only for half an hour rather than 85 mins) and then dug out a goalless draw down at theirs in the 2nd leg...but we had proved time after time before that that we struggled to hold on to a lead.
Anniversary of very sad day today....things could’ve looked so different in many ways now if we’d managed to build on that gift of a lead.

Perhaps but there's an argument to suggest that it's our jobs to get another 5% out of them through support. Too many people were lagging after being out on the piss all night at Trafalgar Square i think
There's a better argument to suggest that it's the manager's job to get that extra 5%!
As for the singing, the highlight of the day was 'Wise Men Say!'
Second time that year me and my lads saw us surrender like cowards. The wife came along, sister and b-i-l down for the weekend, and we got that pathetic non-performance. It was unforgivable.
It is said that Charlie had a meltdown at the final whistle when their hopes of a profitable flip went up in smoke. What a shame that they didn't have the football nous to see that the main problem was the manager.
And when they finally did they signed PP! AAAARRGG!!

We got given a dream start, after just 5 minutes, and then proceeded to produce absolutely nothing of any note, for the rest of the game.
That was the day it all changed for me.
We'd been very poor, since around November/December, and we just stopped looking threatening in attack, the build up play was slow & laboured, we lacked guile and we looked so shaky at the back, and the midfield sat deeper and deeper in games, and provided little or no service to the forward(s).
I'd previously backed Ross to eventually get it right, but as I left Wembley, I'd most definitely changed my mind, and wanted him gone, asap.

We got given a dream start, after just 5 minutes, and then proceeded to produce absolutely nothing of any note, for the rest of the game.
That was the day it all changed for me.
We'd been very poor, since around November/December, and we just stopped looking threatening in attack, the build up play was slow & laboured, we lacked guile and we looked so shaky at the back, and the midfield sat deeper and deeper in games, and provided little or no service to the forward(s).
I'd previously backed Ross to eventually get it right, but as I left Wembley, I'd most definitely changed my mind, and wanted him gone, asap.
You talking about the play off or this season? with this description it’s hard to tell

Fans fault again! Fuck me.
Not really but players always say that the support helps them during a game. It's all well and good taking credit when we get behind them but we've gotta accept we didn't turn up at either of the Wembley games last season

People actually hailed the second leg at Portsmouth as a tactical masterclass by Ross as well :lol:
They missed 2 gilt edged chances. Nice enough guy, but clueless by the end.
Not really but players always say that the support helps them during a game. It's all well and good taking credit when we get behind them but we've gotta accept we didn't turn up at either of the Wembley games last season

Spot on.
We should have backed them like we did in 85.
92 wasn't that great either.

Last edited:
Still can’t get why Ross had us sitting back for practically the whole game. Embarrassing. Charlton deserved the win so not like we can have any complaints. I know plenty aren’t fans of Power but him going off seemed to put us at a loss.
Im not sure he actually did want them to sit back, but that the players where shit scared of the usual goal conceded. Issue was he couldnt seem to affect any change on that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back