A year ago today 26th May 2019 Charlton 2 Sunderland 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just came up on my facebook page, my lads on top of the Empire State building in their shirts. Watched it in a bar just below it. Even though we lost I had a f***ing great time.

It was alarming how flat we were for pretty much the whole game. Our players never looked up for it.

We went into that game knowing the managers tactics had blown automatic promotion and then getting that early lead everyone knew we would sit back and follow the same tactics that had seen us squander the chance for automatic promotion.
Crap match and crap atmosphere. Outsung by the Charlton fans all game

Pretty much everyone where I was said scoring that goal that early wasn’t a good thing. We had about five mins straight after it then we started sitting back. We got deeper and deeper and the crowd got quieter and quieter. Fans and players both knew what was coming.

Last edited:
Perhaps but there's an argument to suggest that it's our jobs to get another 5% out of them through support. Too many people were lagging after being out on the piss all night at Trafalgar Square i think

We went into that game knowing the managers tactics had blown automatic promotion and then getting that early lead everyone knew we would sit back and follow the same tactics that had seen us squander the chance for automatic promotion.

Pretty much everyone where I was said scoring that goal that early wasn’t a good thing. We had about five mins straight after it then we started sitting back. We got deeper and deeper and the crowd got quieter and quieter. Fans and players both knew what was coming.
Not sure scoring too early is a bad thing. That's almost implying we aren't going to score another goal and our only option is to hold onto the 1-0. We were gifted a goal and should have been more ruthless and looked to score more to put the game out of reach. We really didn't look like scoring at all.

Took me the whole summer to get owa the shit show of an end of the season, I was angry and embarrassed, funnily enough fairly similar to how I feel at the minute about our club

Also I got really aggressive to a bloke on the tube back to kinds cross who was jokingly blaming my eldest lad for our defeat as he was wearing the Gold 98 away top

The only consolation was that Charlton were probably a better team than us but were nervous and we sat back and let them grow into the game. Shocking and abysmal really, the manager and team let us all down badly that day I’m sorry to say. We even had the checkatrade failure to ensure that at least all the players knew what it was like to play at Wembley.

I was in the last seat before the Charlton fans with netting between us. |Shook hands with a few at full time and a surprising amount, well 4 or so, told me they were West ham fans on a day out.
CM likes this ! He thought they were great the team that managed to double their support for a day
The only consolation was that Charlton were probably a better team than us but were nervous and we sat back and let them grow into the game. Shocking and abysmal really, the manager and team let us all down badly that day I’m sorry to say. We even had the checkatrade failure to ensure that at least all the players knew what it was like to play at Wembley.
We hung on to stumble into the playoffs and just stumbled out of the final. The team were shot as was JR !!

Last edited:
Was fully expecting Charlton to win before the match. That changed when we were gifted a goal and then the following 15 or so mins we looked well up for it. The tide turned though and I knew there would only be one winner once they equalised.

Norwich 85
Swindon 90
Charlton 98
Millwall semi 2004

We always bottle the big games so I didn't expect this to be different. I didn't include Liverpool 92 or City 2014 as we were underdogs.

Not sure scoring too early is a bad thing. That's almost implying we aren't going to score another goal and our only option is to hold onto the 1-0. We were gifted a goal and should have been more ruthless and looked to score more to put the game out of reach. We really didn't look like scoring at all.

Agree entirely however that simply wasn’t the tactics JR deployed and everyone knew it.

After the celebrations died down I remember turning to the wife and saying “watch us sit back for 85mins, it never works”.

Why we thought defending a one goal lead was something in our armoury I’ll never know. The whole reason we were in the play-offs anyway was that we failed to do it so many times across the season
I'll never know why Ross ever thought it was a good tactic to sit back and defend a 1 goal lead, when all season we had proved that the one thing we were absolutely shite at was defending

Disgraceful performance, absolutely no attempt to score a second, will grigg ended up right mid and he played George Honeyman in a new position every 10 minutes in the second half.

That last goal still baffles me. They had 2-3 standing over the ball and think it was O’nien and 1 other just turn their backs to allow them to play it quickly, absolutely criminal
I can still see their fans erupting as the ball went in.

Absolutely gut wrenching.

I was level 2 and can still see the bloke next to me booing the glass door in front of the steward :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack Ross ultimately proving to be yet another disaster in the unbroken run of football fuckups perpetrated by an owner who is woefully out of his depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back