A year ago today 26th May 2019 Charlton 2 Sunderland 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Was on holiday on the south coast so me and the bairn got the train up from Ashford in Kent. There was no wandering round Wembley taking in the atmosphere like there had been a few weeks earlier, it was straight off the tube and into the ground. After the goal headstart we were all over them and when it got to 20 minutes I thought to myself "it's about now when we normally start to sit back" and sure enough...The rest of the game was terrible and I remember talking to a lad from work at HT saying it's a matter of time before Charlton score again. If they had scored in the first minute of the second half it would have been game over. As soon as they scored we were out of there and we were back in KX by 5.15. Jack Ross should have been sacked at the same time, the fact that he wasn't was the main reason why we've had such a poor season

Very strange game. Watched the final episode of Sunderland til I die yesterday and forgot power got injured so early, and that we didn’t have a proper midfielder on the bench so we put on Morgan. I remember us being shit, but so were Charlton tbh, we marginally edged the stats but in reality no side deserved to win in the 90. Can’t believe we switched off for that set piece though.

We should have gone for the throat after a mistake like that as early on. As far as i remember we hardly threatened their goal other than a good save from a Leadbitter strike.

Reactions: BNM
Incredibly the worst thing about that day was the absolute gobshite bore we got stuck with on the train home.

How Jack Ross wasn’t sacked immediately after that match I’ll never know.
He had fallen for the same mistakes match after match from the cup final back in February to the play off final. What a disaster JR actually was.

What I still don’t get is that he arrived with this reputation for attacking football and an “you score two, we’ll score three” approach.

We ended up with the opposite. The score “1-1” became something of a running joke.

One of the most abject and frustrating performances. Gifted a lead and the rest of the game bar 1 shot, was just none existent. Dont think the early sub helped as morgan was utter piss. But i cant understand how a team can be so poor.

One of the most abject and frustrating performances. Gifted a lead and the rest of the game bar 1 shot, was just none existent. Dont think the early sub helped as morgan was utter piss. But i cant understand how a team can be so poor.
So there’s your answer. Charlton had proper quality loanees in the team that made a difference . Our transfer policy and recruitment did the opposite . As always our issues stem from recruitment

Perhaps but there's an argument to suggest that it's our jobs to get another 5% out of them through support. Too many people were lagging after being out on the piss all night at Trafalgar Square i think

Our vocal support at both Wembley games was piss poor

From the last minute equaliser Peterborough scored down there we were shocking for the rest of the season.

We created one chance in three play off games :neutral:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back