A Strong Durham.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well ok then if we want to play with words, I have the distinct impression based of reading posts on here that some Sunderland fans think we get the rough end of the stick whether we the big club, small club, big crowd, small crowd whatever division we in and have done that years.

I can’t read their mind!

When in reality imo, we just the same as in other club and treated exactly the same and will be unlucky or lucky it’s just football.

It’s nothing against you mate, but this siege mentality of some sports fans that constantly feel sorry for themselves and think the authorities are always against their club is something I have always found complete bollocks.
I haven't seen any evidence of a siege mentality nor of anyone saying the authorities are always against their club. Plenty of complaints of wrong decision making by referees. But almost All managers do that and would probably be more critical if they weren't going to get the rap for doing so.
VAR will probably eliminate it but I've seen enough instances that gives me the impression that the big clubs get most of the big decisions in their favour. That's purely an opinion,it doesn't infer a siege mentality,nor that the world's against little me.
Seem to have strayed a long way from " a strong Durham.... " and FTECB.

Last edited:
I haven't seen any evidence of a siege mentality nor of anyone saying the authorities are always against their club. Plenty of complaints of wrong decision making by referees. But almost All managers do that and would probably be more critical if they weren't going to get the rap for doing so.
VAR will probably eliminate it but I've seen enough instances that gives me the impression that the big clubs get most of the big decisions in their favour. That's purely an opinion,it doesn't infer a siege mentality,nor that the world's against little me.
Seem to have strayed a long way from " a strong Durham.... " and FTECB.

Yeah think we have :D

I wasn’t inferring you were but plenty do and the fact some people are saying refs are now standing up to big crowds and big teams the very moment we become the big team and big crowd after years of the opposite opinion beggars belief imo.

And suggests a siege menatilty looking through just red and white glasses.

But yeah I respect your opinion just disagree with it slightly which makes for debate.

Of course they will have been a ref occasionally influenced by a big crowd it would be naive to suggest otherwise but they just as likely to be influenced by our big crowd as another, that’s makes common sense to me we no diffrent!

I also think every team that wins a given league has done soo because they have been the best team over that season and not because of any refs decisions.

VAR may help like you say but I have already seen several threads on here suggesting bias with that, there is one particular Everton fan on here who is adamant VAR has been very favourable and biased towards Liverpool this season!

I think the modern day world and modern day media always looking to sensationalism and making stuff into a story that isn’t there imo

Last edited:
Yeah think we have :D

I wasn’t inferring you were but plenty do and the fact some people are saying refs are now standing up to big crowds and big teams the very moment we become the big team and big crowd after years of the opposite opinion beggars belief imo.

And suggests a siege menatilty looking through just red and white glasses.

But yeah I respect your opinion just disagree with it slightly which makes for debate.

Of course they will have been a ref occasionally influenced by a big crowd it would be naive to suggest otherwise but they just as likely to be influenced by our big crowd as another, that’s makes common sense to me we no diffrent!

I also think every team that wins a given league has done soo because they have been the best team over that season and not because of any refs decisions.

VAR may help like you say but I have already seen several threads on here suggesting bias with that, there is one particular Everton fan on here who is adamant VAR has been very favourable and biased towards Liverpool this season!

I think the modern day world and modern day media always looking to sensationalism and making stuff into a story that isn’t there imo
Yes, some degree of acquiescence after a lengthy discussion. The one issue where VAR should be used is in simulation. It's rife and players have got it off to a fine art. It requires video technology to identify it. Double up suspension for each subsequent offence and it could be eliminated in no time. Again ,of course,off topic.

I find the whole thing it would not happen to other counties quite embarrassing tbh.

I find this it’s only our club the authorities pick on just biased and blinkered.

It’s more sick of fans of both cricket and footballl thinking authorities in general have it in for them two clubs which I disagree with.
Honestly mate, there's no doubt in my mind that us (Surrey), Middlesex, Yorkshire, Lancs or Warwickshie or Hampshire would've got off far more lightly.

The punishments were Draconian and bang out of line, and the ensuing badwill is inevitable and completely understandable.
I don't know about other counties, but I and many others I know at Surrey have a genuine and deep resentment towards Hampshire for their part in the affair. I don't like using the word hate in cricket, and our rivalries with Middlesex and K*nt are, for me, a bit of fun. But I utterly loathe Hampshire for their part in it.

I'm not a DCCC supporter, so you can't say that I'm unreasonable and blinkered due to partisan loyalty to my county.

To see the way Durham were utterly shat on, humiliated, and then punished further, how on earth can you expect loyal, passionate Durham followers like @brandon , @GordonMuchallNo1Fan , @Parkside to just let it all go and come out with "oh well done England, fantastic work ECB!"?

If it were Surrey that itd have happened to I'd still be spitting feathers and incredibly bitter, so it's perfectly natural that these lads are. As I say, I'm not a DCCC supporter, but as a cricket lover I still feel incredibly angry at the whole situation, and probably will do until Durham regain their rightful place challenging at the top of the First Division again.

It's naïve at best to expect lads who saw their county shat on from a great height to just get over it, and back the ECB etc regardless.

Honestly mate, there's no doubt in my mind that us (Surrey), Middlesex, Yorkshire, Lancs or Warwickshie or Hampshire would've got off far more lightly.

The punishments were Draconian and bang out of line, and the ensuing badwill is inevitable and completely understandable.
I don't know about other counties, but I and many others I know at Surrey have a genuine and deep resentment towards Hampshire for their part in the affair. I don't like using the word hate in cricket, and our rivalries with Middlesex and K*nt are, for me, a bit of fun. But I utterly loathe Hampshire for their part in it.

I'm not a DCCC supporter, so you can't say that I'm unreasonable and blinkered due to partisan loyalty to my county.

To see the way Durham were utterly shat on, humiliated, and then punished further, how on earth can you expect loyal, passionate Durham followers like @brandon , @GordonMuchallNo1Fan , @Parkside to just let it all go and come out with "oh well done England, fantastic work ECB!"?

If it were Surrey that itd have happened to I'd still be spitting feathers and incredibly bitter, so it's perfectly natural that these lads are. As I say, I'm not a DCCC supporter, but as a cricket lover I still feel incredibly angry at the whole situation, and probably will do until Durham regain their rightful place challenging at the top of the First Division again.

It's naïve at best to expect lads who saw their county shat on from a great height to just get over it, and back the ECB etc regardless.

Of course I don’t expect them too mate, and of course they will comment and be unhappy when the ECB is discussed,it’s the every single opportunity to bring them up and have a go at them for almost everything, that I comment on.

What made me comment and post on this thread in the first place is even though we had just won a test series overseas,once again within hours it was used to have a go at them.

Nobody is disputing or has ever disputed Durham got a bad deal, and harsh punishment but that does mean their to blame for everything.

A classic example of this is when Somerset were correctly deducted points for a sub standard pitch after several warnings, imo that was undoubtedly the correct decision, however straight away on a thread discussing it, the ECB were hammered with the predictable it would not have happened to a bigger club.

So in conclusion off course Durham fans are going to be pissed off, and can see that.

I was talking to a some great Worcestershire supporters before their game against us up here in July ( the weekend the World Cup was won) and they were saying they still couldnt believe the stoicism shown by the club and us supporters after being shafted by the ECB.
They said had it happened to them there would have been a riot.

They too cant stand Hampshite for their part in proceedings.

Very kind words, thank you.
when the ECB is discussed,it’s the every single opportunity to bring them up and have a go at them for almost everything, that I comment on.

Except that doesn’t happen. Many examples of people, including myself, praising the ECB on occasions last year.

Nobody is disputing or has ever disputed Durham got a bad deal, and harsh punishment but that does mean their to blame for everything.

Nobody blames them for everything.

A classic example of this is when Somerset were correctly deducted points for a sub standard pitch after several warnings, imo that was undoubtedly the correct decision, however straight away on a thread discussing it, the ECB were hammered with the predictable it would not have happened to a bigger club.

Don’t remember that like. Can you provide your working out?

Last edited:
Not so sure that the points deduction was undoubtedly the right decision. admittedly Somerset had history but each pitch should be judged solely as a one off. End of season,all pitches worn and tired, rain beforehand to hamper preparation and rain during game. Pretty difficult to prepare a top pitch with that criteria. Don't recall the commentators criticising it. The only person properly qualified to make a judgement is the Somerset groundsman and he's hardly likely to be self critical.
As to being always critical of ECB, I'd give credit when and where it's due but I've yet to see any occasion when this has been so.
Heck, they've squandered a £73 million reserve. And don't talk about a mega broadcasting deal. Sky aren't go up the anti on an unproven tournament -far more likely cricket coverage has been massively undervalued previously.
FTECB.

I find the whole thing it would not happen to other counties quite embarrassing tbh.

I find this it’s only our club the authorities pick on just biased and blinkered.

It’s the same on the football thread all I read on there for years was refs are cowards and cave it to big crowds when we were the away team.

Now apparently that we are the big club with the big crowds in league one refs have suddenly turned and are coming to the SOL determined to stand up to the big crowd and will still get no decisions!

This it’s only Sunderland and only Durham that get picked on is simply bias nonsense imo.

Yet despite all the discussions not one single person has come up with a sensible REASON why they would pick on just Sunderland and Durham and the best that they have come up with is they jealous!
It’s happened for years both on the cricket threads but mostly on the football threads this ‘we treated diffrent from other teams’

‘ It would not happen to this team it would not happen to that team’

It’s bias nonsense imo

It’s not soo much defending the ECB this assumption I am defending them is not really the case.

It’s more sick of fans of both cricket and footballl thinking authorities in general have it in for them two clubs which I disagree with.

Sorry, but you're deluded if you don't think there's patronage and favouritism in the game.

Durham got into 7.5 million debt and are demoted and docked points the following season, not to mention a three year salary cap. Yorkshire got into 23 million debt and the authorities do nothing....because their benefactor chairs the ECB!

The ECB/TCCB got us into this debt by insisting we build an international test ground as part of CC status. Then they go and change the test allocation process so we can't make any money from test matches while they pine their pockets.

They're c*nts and I firmly believe if it had been Notts, Hants, Lancs or any other county with a similar international ground, they'd have been far more lenient.

Last edited:
: : "There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know. The proverb has been traced back in English to 1546 (John Heywood), and resembles the Biblical verse quoted in the book of Jeremiah.
Personally I'm leaning towards the belief that Vofp is a WUM.

Last edited:
I’m far from the biggest Durham supporter on here. But 3 things are abundantly clear

- the ECB shat on Durham from a great height
- Durham didn’t help themselves through gross financial incompetence
- the Hundred is the biggest pile of wank ever invented

on the original point of the thread, Durham have been huge for England cricket. I’d say the same about Yorkshire and Surrey in recent years as well. You could make a bloody competitive XI out of their academy production...

Sibley
Burns
Root
Pope
Stokes
Bairstow
Curran
Rashid
Curran
Plunkett
Wood

f***ing hell man we have just won a series away from home 3 1, can you just not enjoy it?
Well done England and well done the ECB for winning soo well in South Africa.
I agree with you actually, find all this FTECB stuff pretty tedious to be honest.

Would the same have applied to Surrey or Middlesex, probably not but Durham weren’t entirely blameless either.

As ever though with an agenda comes undoubted bias. The truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back