A Strong Durham.....

I find the whole thing it would not happen to other counties quite embarrassing tbh.

I find this it’s only our club the authorities pick on just biased and blinkered.

It’s the same on the football thread all I read on there for years was refs are cowards and cave it to big crowds when we were the away team.

Now apparently that we are the big club with the big crowds in league one refs have suddenly turned and are coming to the SOL determined to stand up to the big crowd and will still get no decisions!

This it’s only Sunderland and only Durham that get picked on is simply bias nonsense imo.

Yet despite all the discussions not one single person has come up with a sensible REASON why they would pick on just Sunderland and Durham and the best that they have come up with is they jealous!
It’s happened for years both on the cricket threads but mostly on the football threads this ‘we treated diffrent from other teams’

‘ It would not happen to this team it would not happen to that team’

It’s bias nonsense imo
You ignore evidence when it's presented before you.I've just posted that both Glamorgan and Northants went cap in hand to ECB and received bail outs without sanction.
You mustn't have watched much premiership football if you can't see, prior to VAR, refereeing bias to big clubs like Manure and Liverpool. Never heard of Fergi time?
SAFC had several red cards rescinded last season,a suggestion surely of referee bias. The main criticism of Div1 refereeing in my opinion, however, is incompetence more than bias -they can't cope with the large crowds and fervent atmosphere
I find the whole thing it would not happen to other counties quite embarrassing tbh.

I find this it’s only our club the authorities pick on just biased and blinkered.

It’s the same on the football thread all I read on there for years was refs are cowards and cave it to big crowds when we were the away team.

Now apparently that we are the big club with the big crowds in league one refs have suddenly turned and are coming to the SOL determined to stand up to the big crowd and will still get no decisions!

This it’s only Sunderland and only Durham that get picked on is simply bias nonsense imo.

Yet despite all the discussions not one single person has come up with a sensible REASON why they would pick on just Sunderland and Durham and the best that they have come up with is they jealous!
It’s happened for years both on the cricket threads but mostly on the football threads this ‘we treated diffrent from other teams’

It’s bias nonsense imo
You ignore evidence when it's presented before you.I've just posted that both Glamorgan and Northants went cap in hand to ECB and received bail outs without sanction.
You mustn't have watched much premiership football if you can't see, prior to VAR, refereeing bias to big clubs like Manure and Liverpool. Never heard of Fergi time?
SAFC had several red cards rescinded last season,a suggestion surely of referee bias. The main criticism of Div1 refereeing in my opinion, however, is incompetence more than bias -they can't cope with the large crowds and fervent atmosphere

It’s bias nonsense imo

Last edited:

Personally I can't enjoy any game unless I have an allegiance to one particular side but being loyal and unbiased aren't mutually exclusive. The Cricket Society, a hugely respected gathering of cricket followers representing a huge cross-section of the game, are constantly scathing about almost every aspect of ECB and universally critical of the draconian sanctions on Durham.
It appears that you are alone in not being able to perceive the utter incompetence of ECB; once again, everyone out of step except your good self.
Play devil's advocate if you wish but back up your viewpoint with evidence.

Time and time again on this forum, on a wide range of subjects he has been found wanting in that particular field.

He is without doubt the biggest example of an empty vessel on here.

It’s bias nonsense imo
Just thought I'd post the above a few times because a certain poster appears to miss my posts.

Last edited:
Yet despite all the discussions not one single person has come up with a sensible REASON why they would pick on just Durham and the best that they have come up with is they jealous!

Parkside was right - you ignore evidence when it’s presented to you.

There were SEVERAL bits of evidence provided to you when we had this debate last summer, on a number of occasions, which outlined EXACTLY why and how there may be an intended bias against Durham.

You’ll simply ignore them again though - so more fool us muppets for not sticking you on ignore......

Shit happens all the time in football Sunderland were unlucky with them decisions nobody is disputing that but it does not prove bias in anyway, a sensible argument is they were unlucky.

I will ask you. why would refs be biased against Sunderland there is no sensible reason or rationale.

So when in the premier league we got nowt becuase we were the small club , but now we the big club in league one we get nothing becuase we the big club.

Surely you realise how ridiculous that sounds
Maybe it’s just the North East poor Sunderland and Durham everyone just picks on us!

Last edited:
Shit happens all the time in football Sunderland were unlucky with them decisions nobody is disputing that but it does not prove bias in anyway, a sensible argument is they were unlucky.

I will ask you. why would refs be biased against Sunderland there is no sensible reason or rationale.

So when in the premier league we got nowt becuase we were the small club , but now we the big club in league one we get nothing becuase we the big club.

Once again you don't read my post. I didn't say there was proof of bias, I said there was a suggestion of bias, a subtle but important difference. I also said that decisions were down to incompetence rather than bias.

Once again you don't read my post. I didn't say there was proof of bias, I said there was a suggestion of bias, a subtle but important difference. I also said that decisions were down to incompetence rather than bias.

Yeah fair enough suggestion of bias, and that is my problem with a lot of things on here rather than just accepting mistakes or been unlucky people suggest bias.

I take it you agree then that those incorrect decisions Sunderland got were not down to any bias against us?

Yeah fair enough suggestion of bias, and that is my problem with a lot of things on here rather than just accepting mistakes or been unlucky people suggest bias.

I take it you agree then that those incorrect decisions Sunderland got were not down to any bias against us?
I think you'll find that there'll be suggestions of bias in most club forums -it's certainly not peculiar to Sunderland. If you don't think there was bias against Durham by ECB you must be living on another planet.
Nor is it ridiculous to imply that Premiership referees act differently to League 1 referees. Premiership referees and League 1 referees are 2 entirely different species. The former are full time, very well salaried ,fitness and competence very strictly monitored. They're under intense media scrutiny compared to their League 1 counterparts. I doubt if they're intentionally biased but they'll be aware that any error they make against a big club will receive massive worldwide publicity, the managers will ensure that. You only have to look at how few penalties the big clubs get awarded against them at home. There was near riot at IT a few years back when a referee had the temerity to award one against Manure.

I think you'll find that there'll be suggestions of bias in most club forums -it's certainly not peculiar to Sunderland. If you don't think there was bias against Durham by ECB you must be living on another planet.
Nor is it ridiculous to imply that Premiership referees act differently to League 1 referees. Premiership referees and League 1 referees are 2 entirely different species. The former are full time, very well salaried ,fitness and competence very strictly monitored. They're under intense media scrutiny compared to their League 1 counterparts. I doubt if they're intentionally biased but they'll be aware that any error they make against a big club will receive massive worldwide publicity, the managers will ensure that. You only have to look at how few penalties the big clubs get awarded against them at home. There was near riot at IT a few years back when a referee had the temerity to award one against Manure.

It’s inevitable the best teams will get less pens against them at home becuase they the best team and at home and more times than not dominate the game so of course it’s unlikely to get many pens against them.

That’s common sense but rather than look at common sense people look at stats and use them to suggest bias.

The bottom is you right fans of a lot of clubs think they get the rough end of the stick, they all can’t be right.

Maybe they biased and blinkered towards just their own club?

It’s inevitable the best teams will get less pens against them at home becuase they the best team and at home and more times than not dominate the game so of course it’s unlikely to get many pens against them.

That’s common sense but rather than look at common sense people look at stats and use them to suggest bias.

The bottom is you right fans of a lot of clubs think they get the rough end of the stick, they all can’t be right.

Maybe they biased and blinkered towards just their own club?
and maybe you don't watch much Premier league football. I got the distinct impression, pre VAR and before intense TV scrutiny of every important decision, that refs favoured the big clubs- their reason to keep in with the big clubs.
A little anecdote which proves little. Many years ago,pre premier league, a well known top division referee told me that refereeing his 1st game at Annfield he awarded a penalty against Liverpool. After the game Paisley came into the referee's room and said "Hope you enjoyed your visit to Annfield Mr ****, you won't get another one". He didn't, but referreed in the top division for several more years.

It wasn't a "brilliant" away series win in any case. It was a good victory against a side going through a period of transition, with a praiseworthy response to losing the first test. We were far more impressive when drawing 2-2 at home to Australia.

Makes for a strong England.

FTECB take note, of the Four Test Matches - Durham players were MoM in Two of them (Stokes & Wood)

Man of the Series - Ben Stokes (DURHAM)

Yet the bastards that run the game would like to get rid of us.

I'd have thought a strong Surrey was more pertinent giving the number of players or former players they supply

and maybe you don't watch much Premier league football. I got the distinct impression, pre VAR and before intense TV scrutiny of every important decision, that refs favoured the big clubs- their reason to keep in with the big clubs.
A little anecdote which proves little. Many years ago,pre premier league, a well known top division referee told me that refereeing his 1st game at Annfield he awarded a penalty against Liverpool. After the game Paisley came into the referee's room and said "Hope you enjoyed your visit to Annfield Mr ****, you won't get another one". He didn't, but referreed in the top division for several more years.

Got a feeling if we were a big club in the premier league at the time them decisions would have not went for us in fact you would have had people on here saying refs were wanting to stand up to our crowd to show that we’re not intimated by us, or they would be saying they jealous of us becoming a big club that’s the way it works on here.

I would bet you anything you like the fans of the clubs you talking about would not agree with you as fans are biased and only see through their biased eyes.

Imo nearly every single team who won the premier league had and played the best football that season and deserved it because of their play rather than a influence from a ref?

See the point I am trying to get across is if Sunderland were the biggest club in the world and Durham the biggest county in the country they would still be people twisting about the authorities, when Durham were a cracking side winning county championships apparently the powers of be were jealous!
It wasn't a "brilliant" away series win in any case. It was a good victory against a side going through a period of transition, with a praiseworthy response to losing the first test. We were far more impressive when drawing 2-2 at home to Australia.

Yeah I agree with that actually

Last edited:
Hey VoFP you're a he'll of a mindreader. I wouldn't have a clue about the mindset of people whomI've never met.

But you know the mindset of refs you have never met apparently!

I not going off the reading their mind I am going off the posts have read on here over several years.

Reading this board Sunderland have been hated for years no decisions from refs whatever league we in, no players selected for England etc etc.

Just one big conspiracy poor old Sunderland we just picked on all the time

Last edited:
oh dear, I've never claimed to know the mindset of refs.. Having a distinct impression is a mile away from knowing their mindset.

Well ok then if we want to play with words, I have the distinct impression based of reading posts on here that some Sunderland fans think we get the rough end of the stick whether we the big club, small club, big crowd, small crowd whatever division we in and have done that years.

I can’t read their mind!

When in reality imo, we just the same as in other club and treated exactly the same and will be unlucky or lucky it’s just football.

It’s nothing against you mate, but this siege mentality of some sports fans that constantly feel sorry for themselves and think the authorities are always against their club is something I have always found complete bollocks.

Last edited:

Back