A quiet pint on your own

I like the romanticism of it,sitting with a drink watching the world go by, but in reality whenever I do get the chance I'd rather sit in the house and gave a drink watching the TV .

I have really bad social anxiety disorder and I know it would be good for me but, wine and a takeaway always wins.

Sometime I wish I had a job where I worked away and had meals and a few pints in the bar alone, but again I'd sit and order room service probably 🤔

One of the great pleasures in life.

I only started to understand it when I was younger. I worked away a lot, and when you are doing that, and the nearest pub is usually an uninspiring Brewers Fayre type, , I'd take a book and while away a few hours on my own. Far better than a few lukewarm cans on my own.

Now, I'm lucky enough to have a semi decent pub nearby. The wife puts on something I don't fancy watching, or has friends round... I'll happily walk down with a book or a crossword and have 2 pints. Of course there's a good chance I'll see someone I know and never look at the book or paper. But if I don't, I thoroughly enjoy it anyway

Rather have a decent pint in a local pub on my own than cans on my own in the house.
When my wife is working away, I’ll take the dog for a walk to our local, The Horseshoe in Egton. A blazing log fire, good ale and Interesting company. Just wonderful.

Down in the bottom of the valley?

Took the bairn to the steam railway last year and a feller on the train recommended it.

Walked in and they had beer from Maxim and Consett. It was a lovely spot on a very wet day!!! Could have stayed there all night

Last edited:
Do it regularly, or at least used to til the regulars in my local started talking to me, then I got involved, now I play for the darts team, and I hosted a charity evening there, and I’m still quite involved.

Now if I want somewhere more quiet I go elsewhere.

These days it’s not a case of ‘watching the world go by’. I always have to be doing something so I’ll be listening to a podcast, or reading the paper, or on more than one occasion sitting fiddling with a deck of cards.

I realise that I’m weird to others. I can talk to people and enjoy company but I still like my own more.

I’ll continue doing it as well, I don’t think it’s overrated as the OP suggests. I’ve got mates who build entire rooms in their own homes just to have somewhere to sit and do their own thing for a bit. I just choose to do it.. not there

I like the romanticism of it,sitting with a drink watching the world go by, but in reality whenever I do get the chance I'd rather sit in the house and gave a drink watching the TV .

I have really bad social anxiety disorder and I know it would be good for me but, wine and a takeaway always wins.

Sometime I wish I had a job where I worked away and had meals and a few pints in the bar alone, but again I'd sit and order room service probably 🤔
It's probably something you grow into. Just need to think of it as using a local service, rather than anything to do with the alcohol aspect.

People will be looking at you and thinking ‘that Billy No Mates over there must be a right weirdo coming down the town on a Boxing Day with no one to talk to. Problies a real freak’.

If you’re OK with the no say go for it!😁
:eek: :eek: :eek: you seem like a right freak

there's a brewery/tap room around our way that also has a burger van on site. we order food from there now and then but instead of using one of the delivery apps i volunteer my services and drive over and have a quiet beer while waiting for the food.

One of the great pleasures in life.

I only started to understand it when I was younger. I worked away a lot, and when you are doing that, and the nearest pub is usually an uninspiring Brewers Fayre type, , I'd take a book and while away a few hours on my own. Far better than a few lukewarm cans on my own.

Now, I'm lucky enough to have a semi decent pub nearby. The wife puts on something I don't fancy watching, or has friends round... I'll happily walk down with a book or a crossword and have 2 pints. Of course there's a good chance I'll see someone I know and never look at the book or paper. But if I don't, I thoroughly enjoy it anyway

Rather have a decent pint in a local pub on my own than cans on my own in the house.

Down in the bottom of the valley?

Took the bairn to the steam railway last year and a feller on the train recommended it.

Walked in and they had beer from Maxim and Consett. It was a lovely spot on a very wet day!!! Could have stayed there all night
That’s the Horseshoe. Magical place

there's a brewery/tap room around our way that also has a burger van on site. we order food from there now and then but instead of using one of the delivery apps i volunteer my services and drive over and have a quiet beer while waiting for the food.
Drinking and driving!

I like a daytime lone pint in a city that I don't know. Just sit and people watch.

I wouldn't imagine that the town would be decent for a lone pint on a night.

Almost never drink in the house alone but you can't beat a bit of people watching while having a beer. When you see how annoying so many people are it makes you appreciate your own company.

Never enjoyed drinking alone in a pub
Never that desperate for a pint
I like company and I don't do the stranger bar crack stuff
I thought you liked a slurp on your own in the cooper rose while watching the buses go past iirc there ?Seemed to be enjoying yersel from memory there mate

Back