A Question of Guitar

• Thread starter Deleted member 40035
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 40035

Its obvious how to strengthen the Fret Board hand its like a sport the more you play the better you get, but how do guitarists strengthen the strumming hand? Obviously to put lots of hours in playing guitar will strengthen your hands.

Its obvious how to strengthen the Fret Board hand its like a sport the more you play the better you get, but how do guitarists strengthen the strumming hand? Obviously to put lots of hours in playing guitar will strengthen your hands.

It's not so much "strength" that you need to build up in your strumming hand, it's more co-ordination and control, which again come with practice.

Just keep practicing and practicing and practicing and then eventually your strumming will feel completely natural.

It's not so much "strength" that you need to build up in your strumming hand, it's more co-ordination and control, which again come with practice.

Just keep practicing and practicing and practicing and then eventually your strumming will feel completely natural.
wow what a great first post.

wow what a great first post.

Not sure if that's sarcasm or not, as I've had a fair bit of wine tonight. :)

I realise I've not actually given any real examples of what to practice to improve your strumming. I suppose it depends on your personal taste and whether you play primarily electric or acoustic.

Looking back, the sort of songs I'd practice in my early days that helped to improve my strumming included:

- folk-based early "indie" like The Wonder Stuff and The Levellers, each of which have some pretty fast-strummed acoustic guitar parts that are fun to play
- Nirvana's Nevermind album - chocked to the gills with strummy goodness with an attitude while not being particularly taxing on your left hand most of the time

...and then when I got a bit better at it...

- FUNK - can't beat it for seriously building your right-hand co-ordination. To make it sound right takes a lot of control.

Whatev's loser ha ha

What is better than guitar? Guitar and your(er)('er)(or)(oh) voice.

As trite as it sounds, one of my first hurdles was the strumming pattern for Talk Tonight by Oasis. It's a touch more awkward than your standard pattern but it held me in really good stead afterwards. :lol:

Get a metronome or play to a drum beat, a repetitive riff over and over to build stamina. Something like 'Angel of Death' for alternate picking, or 'Creeping Death' for downstrokes. Also play scales over and over starting at a low bpm - strict alternate picking.

Get a metronome or play to a drum beat, a repetitive riff over and over to build stamina. Something like 'Angel of Death' for alternate picking, or 'Creeping Death' for downstrokes. Also play scales over and over starting at a low bpm - strict alternate picking.
Slayer I like that song tbh, im an experienced player I just think thee isn't enough emphasis on the strumming hand as in learning how to improve especially from a beginners point of view.

Slayer and metallica are ideal practice for beginners mind :lol::lol:
If you play it slow enough you can play anything ;)

Slayer I like that song tbh, im an experienced player I just think thee isn't enough emphasis on the strumming hand as in learning how to improve especially from a beginners point of view.
What about giving funk style strumming a go, I'm no good at that tbh but their strumming control is really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back