A Question of Guitar

• Thread starter Deleted member 40035
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Just keep on what you're doing, you'll have a right arm like Popeye in no time.
"Not sure if that's sarcasm or not"

Not sure if that's sarcasm or not, as I've had a fair bit of wine tonight. :)

I realise I've not actually given any real examples of what to practice to improve your strumming. I suppose it depends on your personal taste and whether you play primarily electric or acoustic.

Looking back, the sort of songs I'd practice in my early days that helped to improve my strumming included:

- folk-based early "indie" like The Wonder Stuff and The Levellers, each of which have some pretty fast-strummed acoustic guitar parts that are fun to play
- Nirvana's Nevermind album - chocked to the gills with strummy goodness with an attitude while not being particularly taxing on your left hand most of the time

...and then when I got a bit better at it...

- FUNK - can't beat it for seriously building your right-hand co-ordination. To make it sound right takes a lot of control.

Totally, I'll give this a try although I have tried before and failed miserably - a bit like moyes tbh

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally, I'll give this a try although I have tried before and failed miserably - a bit like moyes tbh

Good Times by Chic is a fun one to get started if you're a beginner at funk/disco.

Very repetitive with the left hand all the way through the song, and the right-hand phrase is almost all downstrokes, but to make it sound right you need to have a very relaxed right-arm technique. A proper "close your eyes and let your body move with it" track to play.

Sex Machine by James Brown falls into this category too, although the strumming pattern is a little more difficult.

Good Times by Chic is a fun one to get started if you're a beginner at funk/disco.

Very repetitive with the left hand all the way through the song, and the right-hand phrase is almost all downstrokes, but to make it sound right you need to have a very relaxed right-arm technique. A proper "close your eyes and let your body move with it" track to play.

Sex Machine by James Brown falls into this category too, although the strumming pattern is a little more difficult.

Did @tunstall birdman write that post for you?

Playing rhythm guitar is like making love to a beautiful w......

My guitar is like a man, big black and heavy, would'nt fancy making love to tha..

Did @tunstall birdman write that post for you?

Playing rhythm guitar is like making love to a beautiful w......

Playing guitar has certainly assisted in improving... ...certain aspects of my bodily interactions with females. :lol:

Not least of which came from learning ultra-fast "vibrate your whole arm to achieve the speed required" Pantera riffs on Vulgar Display Of Power. :lol:

Always comes back to heavy metal shit where guitars are concerned. When will people realise metal is not the f***ing be all and end all of guitar playing?
It is not the be all and end all I agree......but the high level of technique required to play metal can not be disputed.

Strumming is one technique of what your right hand is doing. There is lots of picking, clawing, tapping plucking as well as picking certain strings in liquid chords and appegios.....amongst many others

As one poster said learn oasis songs. (If you like them) Really easy to play especially the acoustics. Similar chord progression. Good for the basics

Last edited:
Strumming is one technique of what your right hand is doing. There is lots of picking, clawing, tapping as well as picking certain strings in liquid chords

As one poster said learn oasis songs. (If you like them) Really easy to play especially the acoustics. Similar chord progression. Good for the basics

If you're into them, do this.

Then after you've mastered them, in week 2 of your learning the guitar from scratch, try something a bit more challenging instead. ;)

I'd avoid Oasis AND f***ing heavy metal. Tbe Beatles are better for beginners and you can actually enjoy the learning process.

Strumming is one technique of what your right hand is doing. There is lots of picking, clawing, tapping plucking as well as picking certain strings in liquid chords and appegios.....amongst many others

I'll like to admit I spent hours learning Oasis guitar riffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back