A Levels

• Thread starter Deleted member 44322
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Things can also be very fake on Facebook. Someone I know posted about being so proud of their child today and that it was now official they were going to University. Cue loads of "well done" and "amazing" comments. What had been failed to mention was that the grades weren't great one was a U) and that the unconditional offer from said Uni had been recieved weeks ago. Boils my piss !!!

To be honest none of my daughters mates families or ourselves haven't listed a grade on Facebook.. most have just updated status to say which uni but nothing else

Daughter got unconditionals from Exeter and York but adamant she wanted Durham so rejected them

Last edited:

To be honest none of my daughters mates families or ourselves haven't listed a grade on Facebook.. most have just updated status to say which uni but nothing else

Daughter got unconditionals from Exeter and York but adamant she wanted Durham so rejected them

A friend’s daughter had an unconditional last year, first I’d heard of universities just giving unconditional offers out.

I don’t know anyone who got an unconditional when I went. Weird how they do it now. Better for the kids like, less stress.

A friend’s daughter had an unconditional last year, first I’d heard of universities just giving unconditional offers out.

I don’t know anyone who got an unconditional when I went. Weird how they do it now. Better for the kids like, less stress.
In my experience (about 7 or 8 years ago now) it is generally the lower ranked uni's/courses that do this. I don't know any of my mates from both college and uni itself that got unconditionals for a top 50 uni say.

Interesting that, I was at York literally a few years back and never heard of anyone with unconditional offers. Maybe a new thing or degree specifc.

Last edited:
Granddaughter has just rang to say she got A* physics, A* maths and A applied maths. Off to Southampton Uni. We're off to post a card and some pennies,
She was the one, 3 years old, who found one of her drawings crumpled up in the waste bin and said..."Who the fuck put that in there???!

Could have been an artist if that hadn't happened.

In my experience (about 7 or 8 years ago now) it is generally the lower ranked uni's/courses that do this. I don't know any of my mates from both college and uni itself that got unconditionals for a top 50 uni say.

I started university about the same time as you I’d guess then. The likes of Exeter and York giving unconditional was unheard of back then.

That said, whilst giving conditionals many were willing to bend the offer to let people in. ABC would fail an offer asking for BBB but they’d still let you in most of the time.
Also a ticket to take foot off gas though

Not a fan of them myself

True but there’s no downside to doing so if the offer is unconditional?

I spent hours locked away in my room memorising textbooks desperately fearing I’d miss my offer.

I could have been out shagging and drinking Despies with an unconditional.

I started university about the same time as you I’d guess then. The likes of Exeter and York giving unconditional was unheard of back then.

That said, whilst giving conditionals many were willing to bend the offer to let people in. ABC would fail an offer asking for BBB but they’d still let you in most of the time.
Aye alot of that in mine and even dropping a grade or 2 I have seen happen. Girl I lived with first year got in on 3 B's despite needing 2 A's and a B.

Very surprised with the amount of university courses taking students with far less than what they initially asked for. I know numbers are down but even I was slightly taken back by it.

I’m by no means an expert on university financing but my understanding is that universities got a block grant of funding from central govt, but also had restrictions on the number of students they take.

This changed around 3-4 years ago and now this grant isn’t guaranteed and universities are funded by the number of students they take, which is no longer capped.

Essentially this has created or accelerated a bums on seats = money attitude.

I’m by no means an expert on university financing but my understanding is that universities got a block grant of funding from central govt, but also had restrictions on the number of students they take.

This changed around 3-4 years ago and now this grant isn’t guaranteed and universities are funded by the number of students they take, which is no longer capped.

Essentially this has created or accelerated a bums on seats = money attitude.
This sums it up quite nicely

And as a result of the removal of the cap, the Top universities have lowered their entry standards to attract lower performing students to increase the Income they receive. And obviously if you've got the choice of going to UCL or an ex poly, there's only one choice

And as a result of this, the middle of pack Universities then go after the students they may not be particularly interested in before, just to survive, and those at the bottom are the ones that are really struggling just to survive

2 A's, 2 B's for me. Back in 2000 when they were git tough an that

Further maths this year was apparently very tough as there was too much of a gap in expectations between A Levels and 1st year of uni.

So a lot that were going to uni couldn't hack it

My lad has just completed his Masters. He is still of the opinion that his A-Levels were the toughest exams he has sat.

My lad has just completed his Masters. He is still of the opinion that his A-Levels were the toughest exams he has sat.

My daughter says the same.
She got a 2:1 for her degree and was absolutely gutted. She was determined to get a distinction for her Masters , and she did. (It's in Fine Art mind, so wont count on here haha)

My daughter says the same.
She got a 2:1 for her degree and was absolutely gutted. She was determined to get a distinction for her Masters , and she did. (It's in Fine Art mind, so wont count on here haha)

Well done to her!!
Never know where it will get her. It demonstrates an aptitude to apply oneself as well as understand, recall and apply vast amounts of data.

Identical results with my boy. Got a 2:1 in his Bachelors degree. Not happy (me and Mrs were delighted). Distinction on Masters. Grafted his balls off for 4 years in Manchester.
His is in Law and it got him exactly where he wanted to be when he started. He starts graft in London next March.
To say he is a happy chappy would be a huge understatement.

You only need 55% to get an A. Doesnt sound much to me (not that I ever did them like).

Just wondering what the point of them is now, seeing as you can get unconditional offers from University's without them knowing your final A Level grades?

So few receive unconditional offers where the entry requirements are around the A grade. The competition for places at those universities is fierce.

As an aside, 55% would not get an A in all subjects at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back